RLS--best meds or other treatments?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by luvdogs, Jun 27, 2009.

1. luvdogs

luvdogs New Member

What are the best meds or other treatments for RLS? That is the most common cause of my insomnia, and it also seems to be related to my achy legs during the day. I've tried Mirapex, and one other prescription, but neither worked. Klonopin worked the best, but now it isn't working anymore. I tried Magnesium, and that worked, but it isn't working anymore either.
  2. 3gs

3gs New Member

I have said I should put one of those ped meter things on me and see how far I travel at night with legs going like crazy!

Have you had your vitd levels cked? I take clonezapam and that sometimes works. Calcium plus magnesium? Potassium?

The best thing that has worked for me is my NUCCA(upper cerivcal doc).
  3. teacher

teacher New Member

I try to get 1500 mg daily and I can tell if I miss. I get the kind that has magnesium and vitamin d in it. I take it lunch, dinner and bedtime.
  4. shachar

shachar New Member

My sleeping problems had to do with difficulties falling asleep and with sleeping through the night. Every night I used to wake up, I had to get out of bed, sit around for about two hours and then go to bed again and sleep. Also I had very vivid dreams. And I slept very light.
    This went on for many years.

Then I was prescribed a low dose of amitriptyline, to take before going to sleep, and it made all the difference in the world. I slept through the night, slept much deeper, didn't remember my dreams, had less pain, also during the day, and woke up in the morning with the feeling that I really had had a good night's sleep. I take 25 mg at night.

I do not have the irritable legs, though, but I could imagine that once you sleep well your legs are less achy during the day and you have less IL during the night?

Also taking magnesium helps me against the small 'electric shocks' I have when I rest. (I don't know a name for these sudden little shocks.)

Hope this helps you,
  5. mafusula

mafusula New Member

i have really bad RLS and I have found that Amytripaline makes them 10 times worse!! At he moment I take 1000mg Magnesium, morning and night and about 30 minutes before bed I take 2 x .0.5mcgs of Clonazapam. I'm only supposed to take 1/2 but I have been on it for many years that my body is getting used to it.

There is a newish drug out for RLS called "Sifrol". It's an anti-parkinson drug and is supposed to work well. That is another question I have to ask my Dr about!!
    Good luck
  6. mezombie

mezombie Member

Sometimes iron supplements work. I was on Slo-Fe for a while and I think it made a difference.

My very conservative neurologist suggested this. He had be my iron levels tested and I was in the low normal range.

There was an article in a either the Lancet or New England Journal of Medicine that backed up this theory.