Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by 3gs, Apr 10, 2009.

1. 3gs

3gs New Member

I got new mag today says there is evidence that RLS maybe associated with abnormalities of iron metabolism in the central nervous system.
    related to low serum ferritin levels. in some cases taking iron supps may improve this.

sorry not whole article to tired and braindead to post. Anyone notice less rls with taking iron?
  2. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I have had RLS since I was 16. I did not have to go on medication, Mirapix, Clonazepam, until I was very anemic before my hysterectomy. After that, I took iron for a while until my blood count and were normal. Since then I have just been on the Clonazepam and in the last year Mirapix when needed.

When my ferritin was a 12, I did not notice an increase in the RLS but did have an increase in my fibro pain.

The word associated aptly describes the relationship. My neurologist told me that people often say that the low iron causes RLS but it can make it worse.

There was a study done on Mirapix which shows that it may help with Fibromyalgia. I find the RLS pain very similar to the FM pain.

However, I don't think my stomach could take the Mirapix at the dosages used.

Do you have RLS? When you feel better and get a chance I would be interested in reading the article.

Take care and thanks for sharing it.

3. kaymac42

kaymac42 New Member

.......used a rheumy who tested her iron and her's was low and the rheumy said that contributed to RLS. Her's became better with supplements.

My iron is fine and I still have RLS. So I'm not sure.
  4. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

Looks like eating lots of Raisins might help, since they're high in iron.

Caffeine seems to bring RLS on in me. If I have even decaf coffee, that night, I'll be bad.

I think I am low iron. I'm not a meat eater and I've been craving it for months.

I think it makes sense it would be caused by a deficiency. Our diets are just so stripped of all the good natural things today. Everything is so overprocessed.
  5. 3gs

3gs New Member

link for article neurologynow@lwwny.com just put rls in search as this from new issuse

this mag is free i got a card to send in from docs waiting room Neurology Now. Lots of great info

gap if you have problem post and Ill type whole article
  6. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Thanks for the offer of typing the article. That's very generous. I don't think I could do that with my brainfog.

Thank you so much for the link.

I have not had a chance to read it yet, but did want to say thanks.

7. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

I have RLS and I'm not low on iron and I still have it . I will get my bloodwork done
    in early June so will see what it says.

I take supplements that have all kinds of the vitamins and minerals that should be
    helping me and I still feel awful not fair is it. :(

Gentle hugs, Susan
  8. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Your blood work can be fine and you can still have RLS. If you are anemic, it just makes it worse.

Magnesium did not help me and really did a number on my stomach. That's not to say it will not help you.

Are you on any medication? I take Clonazepam and occasionally Mirapex at night if I wake up from the RLS. This happens maybe once or twice every couple of weeks, especially if I am in a flare. I also take a very small amount of trazodone for deeper sleep.

Some have reported better success with Requip than Mirapex.

Hope this helps.

[This Message was Edited on 04/12/2009]