RLS restless leg syndrome

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by FoggyDayz, Jun 16, 2006.

1. FoggyDayz

FoggyDayz New Member

AAAACCCKKKK!!! I started taking Requip about 2 weeks ago for RLS and not only did it not help, it has given me insomnia. I stopped taking it 3 nights ago, but I am still not sleeping and it has gotten so bad that I am ready to absolutely come flying out of my skin! The "need" to move, stretch, and relieve this anxiety in my legs is overwhelming to the point of making me squirm and feel sick to my stomach.

My neurologist called a new prescription into the pharmacy today and I will pick it up in the morning, I am praying that it helps - this is awful.

Thanks for listening to me whine, I wasn't sure where else to go at 1:00 am.
  2. optimistic1

optimistic1 New Member

I just got through a terrible bout with RLS. Your description has brought this terrible experience back to me.

Klonopin had stopped helping me so I was put on Requip too. I had to have so much patience with it because it was such a slow process increasing the doseage each week until I felt some relief. I used to walk the halls in our building during the night. Couldn't sit still and I felt so agitated and nervous.

I'm very sorry for what you are going through. Did your Doc increase your dosage to the maximum before you gave up?
    I am on 4 mg. and can't go any higher. I think this is the recommended limit. I still still miss Klonopin because it was more helpful.

Best of luck to you. I hope they find something very quickly as I know what you are going through. You are not whining!

Many hugs,

Arlene

[This Message was Edited on 06/17/2006]
  3. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

I've been on it for 6 years. I have RLS chronically, so for me, it's a lifesaver. I take .5 mg at 1:00 p.m. and a full 1.0 mg at about 8 p.m. It makes me sleepy one hour after taking it, so I sleep pretty well. I hope you get some relief!
  4. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

How much Mirapex do you take daily? For awhile, mine was not enough either, until I went back to the doc and he significantly increased my dose. I have had that dose now for 6 years and have not needed an increase.
  5. FoggyDayz

FoggyDayz New Member

Thanks for your responses! My doctor prescribed (but I haven't started it yet) Carbidopa/Levodopa 25/100 - the brand names for it are apparently Simenet or Atamet.

Has anyone ever been given this? Did it help/hurt??? The part that scares me is the label on the bottle that says "Do not stop taking this medicine without the assisance of the doctor" or something scary like that.

Any words of wisdom would be MORE than welcome.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!!
  6. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

for a year or two before the Mirapex. I quit taking it because it didn't cover the RLS as well. I had to keep increasing my dosage to make it work. Finally, my doc said let's try something else. Mirapex has been great.
  7. Marjidoll

Marjidoll New Member

(RLS) but calcium and magnesium help me a lot with mine.
    Take some a couple hours before bedtime.

It's awful, I hope you get some help soon!
  8. MssDarla

MssDarla New Member

I have had RLS for gosh so many years I don't remember.

I have taken many drug but now I take AmbienCR and miripex (4 pills) everynight

For the first time I sleep like a baby. As long as I lay down. If I stay up I will be in trouble. lol

It works for me...good luck

MssDarla
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Most of us who take it have been on the same dose for years. It has helped me to get quality sleep and wake up refreshed and alert. No one drug works for everyone and we just have to try things until we find what works for us. Good luck.

Love, Mikie