Rock and Ken, anyone else interested in Scottish Music

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Rosiebud, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I have recently watched a programme on how Afro American Gospel Singing was influenced by the Scots, especially the ones from the Western Highlands and Islands.

My husband and I often watch the Wee Frees Sunday Worship because of the chanting - it's really amazing to hear - the minister sings (in Gaelic) and the congregation repeat what he's just sung - it's really mesmerising and beautiful, though neither of us are religious we really like it.

Anyway this American Prof and some Scots music profs are sure that the Gospel singing comes from this. They traced back to the Scots who went over to the Americas and kept slaves and there were even slaves who spoke Gaelic.

The Wee Frees, by the way if you haven't heard of them, are a very strict Protestant religious group which have been there forever - they are ultra, ultra strict in their views and practices but.......the fact that they now allow a few of their services to be televised means they must (some of them at least) be coming into the 21st century.

Thought this might be of interest.

[This Message was Edited on 11/28/2007]
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I think I read that America's folk and country music came from Europe, mostly the British Isles, and then was modified, new lyrics added, etc.

About 25 years ago the English opera baritone Benjamin Luxon and Bill Crofut made an album comparing English and American versions of the same song.

Or as Cole Porter put it, "You say tomato, I say tomahtoe..."

I just got a CD of Kenneth McKellar singing hymns. It was recorded about 45 years ago. I only discovered it recently.

Can't beat old Ken and Andy Stewart.

3. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I prefer Cole Porter to Kenneth McKellar and Andy Stewart though A Scottish Soldier is a brilliant song.

4. rockgor

was a pretty lucky guy. Not only was he talented, he was born a millionaire, he married a millionaire, and he became a millionaire himself.

Kept a permanent 12 room apt at some hotel in New York (Waldorf Astoria?) just in case he found himself in town.

Only unlucky thing was the horse accident.

Oh yeah, let's face it, he was not what one would call good looking. But when they made a movie about him they had Cary Grant play the part.

Next best thing.

Auf wiedersehen

5. kholmes

kholmes New Member

You can definitely hear a Scottish influence in a lot of traditional songs of the Appalachians. Songs such as "The Water is Wide" have Celtic roots. I had heard about the Highlands-Gospel connection before; that's fascinating.

Rosie, not sure I'd want to join the Wee Frees, but I'd love to attend a Sunday worship.

I'm a fan of Cole Porter, too, Rock. Just saw the Cary Grant biopic a couple of weeks ago. There's another film out, DELOVELY, that I haven't had a chance to see yet.

The more I hear from the Great American Songbook, the more amazed I am by it: Cole Porter, the Gershwins, Irving Berlin, Hoagy Carmichael, Jerome Kern, Rogers and Hammerstein...

Pop music will never see their like again.
  6. rockgor

the computer done stabbed me in the gizzard again. Don't have the strength to retype my message. Besides that the initial creative flourish has done come and gone.

7. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

the quality of pop music just doesn't compare to these guys.

I did really like the record that came out with Cole Porter's songs done by the likes of Blondy, Iggy Popp etc. It was good to see his music get across to young people, mind you that was in the 80s.

A suite in the Astoria - excellent, what a lifestyle!!

Yes I'd go to a wee free service but they probably wouldn't let me in Ken.

8. bct

bct Active Member

I think that album you just referred to is called "Red, Hot, and Blue" but I may be wrong. Great album mostly; so interesting to hear these variants. Too bad my partner thinks it's a travesty! LOL!

9. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

must have been wonderful growing up with all that singing around you.

I will check and see if I can find anything here in UK but they are a very closed sect. I was amazed to see the wee frees on tv at all but like any religion there will be breakaways that want to modernise.

Found a site on the Free Church but not signing online so far. This is what they write about their way of singing..

'For any visitors perhaps the most noticeable aspect of our worship is our praise. We sing metrical versions of the Book of Psalms. We do not employ any musical accompaniment to these items of praise instead we have a precentor, normally a man who stands up and begins the singing after which the congregation join in. To a modern eye this may seem a strange practice but is one that has its roots firmly in the history of the Scottish Church following the Reformation in Scotland. '

Let you know if I come across an online example of their singing.

[This Message was Edited on 12/01/2007]
  10. desertlass

desertlass New Member

Hope this isn't OT, but I was just listening to a song that seemed to fit this dicussion.

Have any of you heard of Mindy Smith? She made a crossover hit onto the top 40 from the rock genre, and I just happened to hear her on the car radio and had to find out who she was.

Her song is "Come to Jesus", so at first I thought she had a Southern gospel influence (she is white).

But when she gets to the chorus, it is defintely Appalacia/bluegrass inspired.

Whe she sings certain notes I feel like I'm being transported "to the highlands". She has that "keening" quality to her voice that can also show up in really sad black spirituals, too.

And the instruments sound quite gaelic, too. Because it is a rock song, it ends with an electric guitar fusion with these other sounds. So, we're nowhere near Cole Porter-- sorry.

If you just want to get an idea for what I mean, you can hear a snippet of her on itunes for free.

I just like the idea that someone with some real highland soul can make it in the crazy pop music business of today.

Happy wailin'