Rock and Ken et al

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Rosiebud, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I think this will tickle you.

My son, Reni, has booked into Borthwick Castle for one night, Thursday, to propose to his girl Erin.

Borthwick Castle is about 15 miles or so outside Edinburgh. Mary Queen of Scots fled there with her husband, Earl of Bothwell, when she was trying to get away from the Scottish nobles who disliked his influence.

Reni tried to get Mary's room but it was booked, plus it's the most expensive room there, so he got the Castle Tower Room, complete with four poster.

You can see inside of the castle on

- tells about its history etc.

Reni adores castles so this is going to be very exciting for him.

2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

A historical and romantic get away taking place in the present. The rooms look wonderful. I've never slept in a bed w/ a canopy.

35 pounds seems like a lot for dinner. Last time I checked a pound was worth about two US dollars. I remember when I was a kid a pound was worth five dollars.

If you go to Youtube and type in Maria Stuarda, you can see scenes from Donizetti's opera Maria Stuarda. Big confrotation scene between Mary and Elizabeth. I read they never actually met though.

Donizett wrote two other operas about English Queens. "Roberto Devereux" is about the Earl of Essex and Elizabeth.
    He also wrote "Anna Bolena". Beverly Sills was one of a handful of sopranos who sang all three operas.

Well, I hope Reni and his gal have a wonderful time. Is Reni a French name?

3. kholmes

kholmes New Member

As King Duncan says in Macbeth, "This castle hath a pleasant seat; the air nimbly and sweetly recommends itself unto our gentle senses." What a gorgous castle, and how neat that you can rent rooms in it. If walls could talk, indeed.

How romantic is that on Reni's part? Let's hope Erin says yes!

Too bad the castle didn't ultimately keep Mary from the long claws of Elizabeth.
  4. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I was just joking about her saying yes!

So if you made a reservation at Borthwick Castle, too, would you be physically up to going there and staying there with your husband? I think you should treat yourself and do it! Why should Reni get to have all the fun.

So Mary and Elizabeth never met? Wasn't Mary executed in London for a plot to assassinate Elizabeth? Yikes.

Didn't you say you were a Bill Bryson fan? I'm reading his new book about Shakespeare. It's amazing how little they actually know about Shakespeare, but the book is very informative and entertaining.

I wish we had castles in New Mexico. Of course, I love the huge pueblo indian structures and ruins here.

Hope you're having a good week.
  5. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

can stay at the castle, Ken, so long as they have money, lots of I've told Reni not to drink their blended whiskies, some of these places charge £40 a glass - no kidding!! It's not for me, I would have to go to bed early and miss the fun.

If Mary Queen of Scots had remained Queen then Scotland would have been a catholic country which many people were against. Anyway she was raised in France and was more French than Scots.

I'm actually doing a lot better, thanks, Ken - getting up, dressed and about but not doing too much.

We're driving them through on Thursday as they are going into Edinburgh for two days following that and Edinburgh is not a city to take a car to - hopeless for parking.

So I'll see the castle.

Rock Reni's name is not French. His real name is Rennie (good old Scottish surname) but that is also the name of a popular analgesic tablet so he got fed up being teased at school. Of course still sounds the same.

6. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I'm glad you'll be able to see the castle, even if you don't spend a night there, too.

Very glad you're dressed and doing a little better at the moment. If you had your druthers, where would be the nicest, most beautiful place for you to spend a night near Edinburgh or Glasgow? What would be your dream destination?

Hard to believe how bitterly divisive Catholics and Protestants were 400 years ago. You know, in reading this Shakespeare book, I learned that King James was Mary, Queen of Scots's son. Funny, I never knew that before. She was executed and then he became king right after Elizabeth died. I guess Shakespeare revised Scottish history in Macbeth to better please King James. Of course, he must have done that with English history in his other plays for Elizabeth, too.

Actors are very superstitious about Macbeth. They never call it by it's name. Instead, they call it "The Scottish Play."
    [This Message was Edited on 04/29/2008]
  7. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I really miss all the history in the UK. We lived in a house in Cornwall that was 500 years old, had been an Inn and had worn slate floors etc. big Inglenook fireplaces. I loved all that. What a romantic thing to do.

Oh and tx for telling me about Bryson's new book on Shakespeare. I love his Theory about Everything and also his book on the English Language.

Love Annie

8. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I would spend the night in The Pineapple which is only about 5 miles or so from where I live. It's a 'folly' - I posted a pic of it here last year, built in 1761 by Earl of Dunmore. You can rent it out but its very expensive.

When I was young it was not the done thing for a catholic to marry a protestant, vice versa - families frowned on this intermarriage and still do. Lots of Irish came here during and after the famine. Our children go to separate schools - we have a protestant football team and a catholic football team in our premiere league - it's madness!!

I'm going to check out Bryson's book on Shakespeare too.

Your 500 year old place sounds lovely Anne.