Rock: LaTraviata live tonight

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by sunflowergirl, Sep 13, 2014.

1. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

I know you're an opera fan. I just heard on KUSC that it's opening 6 PM I hope you see this in time.
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hi Sunflower

Well, ratbane! Didn't see your post in time. One of Verdi's most popular operas too.
    I've seen it 4 times. Twice with the Met starring America's great soprano Anna Moffo.
    She gave me goose bumps in the final scene. The only diva that ever did that.
    I had a nice chat with her after the performance.

Anna was from Pennsylvania. Very popular in both the U.S. and Italy.
    She recorded Traviata with Robert Merrill and Richard Tucker in the 60s. Made
    a movie of it about the same time.

I hope things are getting smoothed out for you. I remember when Gordon's
    mother died 3 years ago. He was very busy getting paper work done regarding
    the house, the phone, the bank accounts, the utilities, social security, etc. But he
    didn't have the problems you've had to deal with. I'm glad you have your painting
    to take your mind off these problems.

3. sunflowergirl

Darn.......I was hoping beyond hope you would see this in time. What was the name of the movie?

Yes, awful lot of paperwork that just keeps going and going and going. I have a large box now with all the various folders concerning different important accounts, etc. This past week I visited 3 banks AGAIN, to get an automatic withdrawal my husband set up. I can't get into the billpayer, it had to do with notifying them he passed away, so it was blocked. I/we (the computer dept. for the bank) can't get it cleared up so down the road I'm going to wean myself away from this particular bank.....but not until things settle down. I'm asked everywhere if someone is helping me.....NO. If my DD was doing it I would have to stand right there anyway at the computer.

I take a painting/play break when I can't stand things anymore. And I really wish this awful heat would just leave.
  4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hi Kiddo

Wish I could help you with all your paperwork. Even if I were there, I probably couldn't
    though. Gordon has to do all that stuff at our house now. My brain is just too atrophied.

This morning I put the dirty clothes in the laundry room. Then I found a couple towels
    on the dresser. I had intended to put them in the laundry basket, but somehow I didn't.
    This kinda thing happens daily. Sometimes I just start to cry when I think of how
    badly I've deteriorated. Gordon says, "It's OK," but I don't really agree.

Anyhoo, the opera movie is on DVD. Same title as the opera. There are also some CD
    performances of Traviata. You can listen to lots of her videos or other vids of Traviata
    on Youtube. The DVD is around $30-35 and the CDs are around half that.

It used to be that 10 minutes was the maximum for a video on Youtube. Lately there's
    been a big change. Some movies and operas are shown complete now. I think I'll
    watch one of those screwball comedies with Irene Dunne and Cary Grant next.

5. sunflowergirl

Rock: I understand the frustration when our brain just won't work! A few years ago I was really troubled by it.....I just couldn't THINK, and felt like crying. Don't assume it's alzheimers, seriously, because there are other things that could be going on here that perhaps should be checked out. a search on diet or let Gordon research. You might be consuming things you shouldn't. There might be special supplements that you need to be taking to help you. First off: sugar is BAD, bad for every part of your body. Lots of thing could be contributing.

Thanks for that LaTraviata info. I'm going to search the library system to start.