Rock speaking of Clyde Barrow

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Callum, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Callum

Callum New Member

Have you read the book "Pictures at a Revolution: Five Movies and the Birth of the New Hollywood" by Mark Harris?

It's about the making of the five films nominated for best picture for 1967, "Dr. Doolittle", "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" "In the Heat of the Night", "The Graduate" and "Bonnie and Clyde", and how that year served as a transition between the old school and new school of film-making.

I found it terribly interesting, even when discussing movies I didn't like ("Dr. Doolittle") Did you know that Rex Harrison was a terrible Anti-Semite, and this caused terrible friction between him and Anthony Newley, who wrote the songs? Also, he wanted nothing to do with Sammy Davis, Jr., as he was only an "entertainer". (I guess you could say the same about Judy Garland, Frank Sinatra and Barbra Streisand, I guess...)

2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Haven't run across this book. Will have to see if I can get it from the LA Library.

Of the five seminal films I didn't see two and only liked one (The Graduate). Wonder if I'd like it if I saw it now?

I think Bonnie and Clyde was the first "squib" film followed by the Wild Bunch. A technological breakthrough I thought added nothing of substance to film (but a lot of expense and danger according to some websites).

Is Anthony Newley Jewish? I have read in various show biz books that "Sexy Rexy" was difficult to get along with. I saw him in My Fair Lady in the 70s. He would have been around 70 then. Still very good, but not so good as in the film.

I think entertainers are like friends. Hard to say why we like them or don't. Saying, "I like him because he's a great actor" says nothing. Like saying I like apple pie cause it tastes good.

Sinatra and Streisand are practically worshiped by some people. Both high on the list of difficult celebs. I can't stand to listen to either one.

Ah, show biz. Source of endless fascination.

Thanks for the info re: the book.