Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Rosiebud, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

thanks I'll speak to my brother about you.

Our Mother and older brother (60) both died within 3 months of each other last year and he says he started feeling depressed back then. He works (off just now) and has friends but disappeared off the radar 3 weeks ago - seem we got to him just in time, thank goodness.

We've managed to access counselling for him and he's taking anti-depressants. He doesn't have a history of depression. My daughter is a social worker and she was able to put us in touch with all the people who can help him. Over here there is very little provided for people with depression.

As for my son Reni, well he has been with Erin for 6 years and their relationship has always been volatile - I tell him 'it shouldn't be this hard'.

Thanks for your kind words Rock.

2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I was just watching Julie Andrews in clips from the movie STAR on Youtube. I read the movie was not a success, but I loved it. Also loved Noel and Gertie and Ivor. Have lots of records, etc. of all of them.

Lots of great entertainers from your neck of the woods.

Norman Cousins, who was editor of the Saturday Review for 30 years, was very ill a few decades back. He said love, Vitamin C and funny movies like the Marx brothers helped him recover.

You ever watch Youtube? You can find Stan (another UKer)and Ollie and Peter Sellers (UK) and lots of funny people there.

Well, I don't know, but I would think that if your brother has not been depressed before, then the prognosis would be positive. I, on the other hand, have been depressed pretty much my whole life.

Have Reni and Erin lived together? Maybe they should try it for a year and then decide...finally!

The best to you and your family.

3. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

....That same thing happened to us, lost my brother and dad the same week.

Speaking professionally I ndo think that we need to acknowledge, as a society, sadness, and what used to be called meloncholia. Also disappointment is another feeling that is often overlooked and referred to as depression.

I think labelling what could be sadness, grief, missing someone as depression makes people depressed in reality. Also I do believe that people think that they are odd or of course in having these feelings. Just as it is OK to be happy, it is equally OK to be sad.

Rock is right when he talks about Norman Cousins. I loved that man, so smart, and he did combat his illness for years by refusing to dwell on it, and using laughter to asist him.

I used to get my patients to divide a sheet of paper into four sections and write down: SAD OK HAPPY SO-SO

and have them write a few comments about their own feelings in regard to these matters in each section. It almost always turned out that they were able to write about the same in each section and realise that although it seemed as if the sadness was the prime mover that in fact these other feelings were there too, but often not acknowledged as one dwelt on the sad feelings.

There is this awful thing that happened a few years back where people are forced to talk about their feelings and many people do not want to. Better to have them talk about what used to make you feel accomplished and happy? Can you recall a really funny incident any time? Also to let them know that you are sad at times too.

As I was want to say "Feelings are not facts".

Rock ditto for email for you BTW.

I am not sure I can say that,so will not leave it up.

Love Annie