Rockgor and others from MN

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by jmcdelaney, Nov 29, 2007.

1. jmcdelaney

jmcdelaney New Member

I recieved an interesting statistic in my email today, thought you might be interested:

A winter statistic

98% OF AMERICANS SAY 'OH shlitz' (edited on the advise of a very kind member)BEFORE GOING IN THE DITCH ON A SLIPPERY ROAD.

[This Message was Edited on 11/29/2007]
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

I'm not from MN but grew up in north suburb of Chicago...

I would've thought it was people from Wisconsin who were saying that, hehe! Thought Hamms, Pabst Blue Ribbon, Schlitz were all made there?

Not being a beer drinker, I don't even know if they're being sold anymore... have they been outsourced?

3. jmcdelaney

jmcdelaney New Member

Remember Shlitz....we're old.

4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

you little scamp! I read that joke somewhere only it was about Bubba.

I suppose some Minnesotans say that, but mostly they just go "Uff-da! Not again."

Even my brother the deputy sheriff slid into the ditch one winter night.

I have not only slid and skidded on icy roads, I got stuck on a muddy country road one spring. The car was burried up to the hub caps; maybe more.

By the way, I hate to sound like a lawyer, but I don't know if you are allowed to post the above. See the rules in the upper right hand corner. Wouldn't want you to commit an infraction w/o a license.

I'd better quit before I lost this.

5. jmcdelaney

jmcdelaney New Member

Or should I say "Bubbah"? Sounds like I may have infracted several infarctions if you want to get real technical (LOL)

Tell me you were never one of those on the news who tried to drive the canal during the winter!

6. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

Love your joke!! I'm no longer a beer drinker, but this is the kinda MN family i was raised in!!

We just got our first snow storm here about 3 in. of snow, and i pulled my first sh!tty (doughnut, cookie) in the driveway with my mini-van for this winter!!

With front wheel drive you have to do them in reverse instead of the normal way!! Giggle!!

My brother use to have a term, Baagh-hawing, off road driving with 4- wheel drive pick-up. Down ditches and over approaches, or just hitting the bushes and brush and seeing how far you could make it before getting stopped by a big enough tree. This driving usally involved a few friends and case of beer.
    Obviously he didn't own a new pick-up, and loved working on it all the time!!!
  7. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I grew up in South St. Paul, and live in New Mexico now. I remember the Schlitz Beer Factory in St. Paul, and the lights of the factory shining at night near the High Bridge over the Missippi.

Good joke! I've never actually said it before sliding into a ditch, as far as I can remember, though like Rock, I've slid into more than a few. The worst was probably a ditch I slid into in Spillville, Iowa.
  8. rockgor

Too bad you didn't travel a few miles from Spillville. You could have visited Harmony and nearby Niagara Cave.

It's been a Minnesota sorta day. In addition to youse guys I had e mails/phone calls from my sister, my aunt & uncle and an old college roommate from Stewartville (near Rochester).

My uncle just turned 80. He is in excellent health altho he recently got hearing aids. He is 13 years older than I. Whenever he thinks I'm getting out of hand he says, "I used to change your diaper."

9. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I'll bet I've been through Harmony but didn't even know it. I used to ride my motorcycle between St. Paul and Iowa City, and I liked to take a lot of back roads in southeastern Minnesota and northeastern Iowa.

Glad your uncle is still alive and (hopefully) kicking.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/01/2007]
  10. rockgor

if you were on highway 39 or scenic 52 and about 4 miles north of the MN/IA state line, you went thru Harmony. Nothing about it that would have stuck in your memory tho.

Das ist alles.

11. jmcdelaney

jmcdelaney New Member

Did you like my editing?

How in the world could I have gotten so lucky to change it to a beer whose lights used to shine on the bridge?

12. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I looked up Harmony, MN, on Google Earth. Don't think I ever passed through Harmony, but close. There was a link to a picture of the Niagara Caves, just southeast of Harmony. Also, there was a link to a picture of an Amish farm just east of Harmony, near Canton.
    Whoops, meant to write "northeastern Iowa, not northeaster Wisconsin" above. Shlitz!

Also, did you know that the 1970 Nobel Peace Prize winner was born in Cresco, IA, just southeast across the border?

Here's a bit about him:

Norman Ernest Borlaug (1914-)
    Place of Birth: Cresco, Iowa

" Director, International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center; experimented with triticale, a hybrid grain developed for improved nutritional and production values. His efforts have led to several countries becoming self-sufficient in grain production, including Mexico and Pakistan."
  13. rockgor

Joann, Nice job of editing. Between my brain fog and the pops up I get every two minutes due to the virus, I think I may be missing a few nuances, or maybe even some old-ances.

Ken, I never heard of Dr. Borlaug till a month or so ago. There was a big article about him in the LeRoy paper.

He gave a speech; think it was in Cresco. Used to go to Cresco (when we didn't go to Decorah) to go swimming. Another Mid-west farming village.

Kinda ironic. All those good people who worked to improve food production and eliminate plagues contributed to overpopulation which may prove to be an even bigger threat.

Somebody started a post recently about: do you eat at your computer? I am sampling Gordon's soup from the crockpot. Very good. Perfect for these cold winter nights. (Might get down to 53 here tonight.)

All for now.