Rockgor (or anyone who knows a lot, lol)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PainPainGoAway, Feb 26, 2009.

1. PainPainGoAway

PainPainGoAway New Member

This morning my daughter asked me a question...
    We live in Ohio, and it's part of the midwest.

However, look on a map...we are no where near the west nowadays...why do they still call us the midwest? I also hear some say the Great Lakes Region, but mostly the midwest.

If you've ever pondered this, I'd like your would be more fun than just googling it myself...

2. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

I just had to come on here and tell you that you had me cracking up with your regarding line. Yes, Rock would be the one to ask this question. He is probably on line right now trying to figure out the answer if he doesn't already know in his intelligent little head. LOL

3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

A very good question. Kinda like, why are the near east and the mid east the same place?

Due to an amazing kawinkydink, only this morning I was reading about Marietta, Ohio, which
    (as you already know) is an historic river town. Named after Marie Antoinette, it calls itself
    the first settlement in the Great Northwest.

But today we think of the Great Northwest as Oregon-Washington.

This teaches us that terminology does not always keep up with the changing times.

Consider an even earlier example. When Cotton Mather went West in the 17th century, where
    did he go? Western Massachusetts.

Sometimes this out-of-dateness applies in to people as well. When Ronald Reagan was seeking
    the Republican nomination in 1976, Time Magazine referred to him as "boyish". Reagan was
    65 at the time.

As one final example of the discrepancy between terminology and reality, consider the Great
    Lakes. They're all connected. So doesn't that make in one Great Lake? And can it really
    be a lake when it's connected to the Atlantic Ocean?

And why do we have several different Oceans? They're all connected too.

I can only that this has been of great help to you. I also hope the many folks here who know
    much more than I will give us the benefit of their advices.

(I used to have a co-worker who always pluralized "advice".)

Ha det bra

4. PainPainGoAway

Fascinating...ha ha Mickey-- your cracking up cracked me up~lol!

Really, it's been enough years for Ohio to get another calling...I did hear the weather person say the Ohio Valley, but we're still the Midwest. Ohio is actually the heart of the US.

I've never been to Marietta, but I'd like to someday. I live on the other side, actually along the Madriver...which is not even mad (it's named after a general I think).

So it's time for some reality...

I hadn't thought about that with the lakes...pretty interesting...I forgot they're all connected and checked it out on my Atlas...sure enough. See, that's why I asked you!

Thanks for the daughter thinks we need to think of a new name and send it in who? Lol, I'm sure there are more pressing issues these days, but it is a wonder!

5. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

In Arizona they say it's 120 degrees "but it's a dry heat," those are the people you want to slap. Look, when the sidewalk is so hot it is burning through some of your shoes, and high heels start to sink in asphalt parking lots, that's "an inferno." We love it, but it's an inferno and it's really darn hot.

[This Message was Edited on 03/02/2009]
  6. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Used to hear the same thing when I lived in Las Vegas.

And this is the same only different. I lived one year
    in Northern Minnesota. The winters were much longer
    and much colder than in Southern Minnesota.

The people who lived in N. MN did not want to hear any
    criticism of the weather. I think they took it as a criticism
    of them for being dumb enough to live there.

And so we see that discussion of the weather are not
    always boring and banal.

7. PainPainGoAway

ahh, but can I have some? It's 7 degrees right now and I'd be happy if you sent us just even twenty...thirty if you can spare it...
    Yeah, my parents live outside of phoenix and I'd take this cold over the "dry heat" anytime...although, not THIS cold...

We're not North enough, we complain about the weather all the time...our weatherfolk always have a story name it, we get it...well, no dry heat...