rockgor, with all your infinite wisdom.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by mindbender, Mar 25, 2007.

1. mindbender

mindbender New Member

I’ve got a great idea for a commercial for Pepsi.

I don’t know what to do about it. There’s no place on their web-site for such things.
    I get the feeling that they don’t handle that, maybe they leave all that up to advertising agencies.

Well, what say yee?
    I’ll just hang up and listen off the air.

I’ll donate to your favorite charity if you help me with this.

Also, hello to everyone else, I’ve been off and on here sometimes just reading if I don’t have something sarcastic to say.

Dan

2. mindbender

mindbender New Member

3. sues1

sues1 New Member

I am awaiting your words of wisdom here......

Blessings.........Susan
  4. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

rockgor we are waiting for your intriquing mind to go to work once again. quick as a whip.

jodie
  5. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Good to hear from you. Glad to know your mind is still functioning. Mine is dwindling away like a snowman at the end of March.

About 30 years ago there was a Pet Rock fad. 'Member that? A pet rock sold for $5. Came in a little carton like a pet carrier. Had instructions for care altho it didn't say anything about feeding.

Made a guy named Dahl a millionaire. I remember the name because it's Norwegian (pronounced doll). Anyway, he said ideas are nothing. I made money cause I had spent many years in the retailing and advertising business and knew how to maket the product.

There was a cartoon about the same time. Showed two guys, one behind a desk saying, "Well, you see, Mr Blotz, the people who do the advertising don't make the loans."

Two photos are on a humor site express the same idea. The burger as it looks in ads and as it looks when you actually buy it. The people who make the ads don't make the burgers.

So what we learn from all this is that to make money w/ an idea, you pretty much have to be in the business and have connections.

An idea cannot be copyrighted; only the expression of it. Most movie studios and publishers won't read anything nowadays unless it is submitted by an agent. Why? Because they don't want to get sued for allegedly stealing an idea.

If you contact a company w/ an advertising idea, they will undoubtedly say, "Our agency takes care of that."

If you contact an agency they will refuse to talk to you or say submit your resume and maybe will hire you. Or maybe they will talk to you and then use your idea w/o compensating you. Who knows?

My mother had the idea for making contour/fitted sheets before they appeared in the stores. The idea alone was worth nothing.

By the way, does you idea involve mentos? There are some humor sites that show fizzy fountains when the two (mentos and soda) get together.

Sorry I can't be more helpful...or at least encouraging.
    Back in the 70s our company used to handle claims for all the major bottlers. Don't remember that we had any for Pepsi tho.

Well, it's pretty late. Let's all drink up and go to bed.

Rock

6. rockgor

My wisdom isn't infinite.
    It isn't even wide.

And stuff that once I thought I knew
    Is leaking from inside.

Alzheimer's has me in its grip;
    It kinda makes me sore.

They'll put upon my tombstone:
    He's not bewildered anymore.
  7. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

Great verse! Your's? (is that a real word?)

Did you see my post about long chain fatty acids and tapering off SSRIs? It's in the last porch thread.

Best to you,
    Peace out,
    r
  8. rockgor

Yes, it's mine, but since I published w/o a copyright notice it now belongs to the world. Bwahhaaaaaaaah!

Yes, I saw your post but I knew not of whence you spoketh or whatsoever you menteth. Even before Alzheimer's I wouldn't have understood it.

But I appreciate your good efforts.

Rock
  9. dononagin

dononagin New Member

You are infinately wise..

though that's coming from someone with brain fog...

X0X
  10. rockgor

Good to hear from you.

Yes, After 25 year of brain fog I'm making the transition to Alzheimer's.

Ain't life funny sometimes?!
  11. victoria

victoria New Member

but, how do you tell the difference...?

12. rockgor

the difference between a sprained ankle and a broken leg;

and it is getting worse. The brain fog just sorta hung around for decades. The Ahz is progressing rapidly.
  13. victoria

victoria New Member

you have such a sharp and witty mind! ('they' say flattery gets us everywhere, right?)

"they" also say when you don't know it, is when you really do have it. My MIL lives with us, has severe dementia and doesn't know the difference... but is at least most times in a happy mood at this point.

Best,
    Victoria
  14. mindbender

mindbender New Member

I remember Pet Rocks, great idea huh?

Do you really have SnowMan-n-March Disease?
    Or do you just use that as a pick up line?

No, no Mentos, those commercials drive me absolutely ballistic.

I really have a genuine idea that would make you flip if I could tell you.
    Absolutely hilarious.
    I’ll keep checking, I think it will be worth it.

I also asked yahoo! Answers.
    I’ll let you know.

Thanks Sir,
    Dan
  15. rockgor

you all the luck in the world, Dan. In the meantime, are you looking into doing illustrations?
  16. mindbender

mindbender New Member

I’ve actually got one going on right now. Tomorrow I’ll scan it and put on my profile.
    I’ve still got to finish that barn one also. Remember that color one of the barn?

Also I was going to do a self portrait, but I’ve got a photograph of me now from my Moms digital camera that I can put up. First I gotta figure out how to get me outta there.

See, I look allot older after I contracted this dastardly disorder (even though I've had it all my life)and all the photos I have make me look like a kid. I want you guys on the left coast to be able to recognize me when we have our convention.

Rock if you’ll forgive my copy n paste I want to show you what the guy from Yahoo Answers said. I think this guys probably right though I won’t give up.

Your chance of selling your idea for a Pepsi commercial to their ad agency is pretty much zero.

The main reason for this is legal. If you send your idea to their ad agency, they won't even look at it. You will get back a letter saying that it was opened in the mail room, and that nobody in creative even saw the letter. Reason: later on, if they use a concept that is even vaguely similar, you could sue them for stealing the idea, even though your idea may have little to do with what actually ran.

Second reason: commercials are based upon a corporate marketing strategy that has been planned by top executives. You have no idea what their goals and strategies are, so your commercial idea will be based on a "clever idea," not marketing needs.

I understand your goal to "do something with it." I had the same situation when I was in college. What I did with my ideas like this was to put them into my portfolio. The very exercise of creating commercials (which would never be produced) was good for my career goals of being in an advertising agency.

I encourage you to keep getting ideas like this. If you can get you one you can get more, and if you can do that, you can make a good living in advertising.

Good luck.

17. rockgor

I am eager to see your new work, Dan. Yes, I remember the barn very well. You did a wonderful job w/ light and shade.

Yes, I really have melting brain disease. Like so many of the gang here, I have multiple medical problems. I figure it doesn't matter too much any more as my turn is nearly over.

Nice letter you got from the Yahoo fellow. I guess he is in the advertising business himself, right?

I have been doing crossword puzzles w/ colored pens. I started doing crosswords to ward off Ahz. Ain't workin'. Do you think these colorful grids would qualify as "folk art"? Maybe I could sell them on E-bay.

As my Norskie ancestors said, Ha det bra. (Have it good.)

Rock

18. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

On the topic of Alz, I read a study (maybe you did too) about taking folic acid to help ward off or at least slow the progression of Alz. Take 800 mcg. daily. Hey, it couldn't hurt!
    Terri
  19. rockgor

I was taking folic acid a year or two ago. Ran out and never remembered to get anymore. Have to restock. Thanks.

Rock