Rockgor You Kill Me everytime

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Rosiebud, Nov 23, 2007.

1. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

Hi Rock

thanks so much for the laugh, I'm splitting my sides right now. It's from the post, Who You Would Like to Have Lunch With - I've copied a bit for other readers who might not have seen it.

'Oh, 11/19/07 04:54 PM

I dunno. I have never been able to pick just one, a favorite, the best, etc.

I once made a mental list of favorite songs. When I got up to 250 I decided to quit. Was only reinforcing my compulsive behavior '

You're my very favourite American 'cousin' - never mind my answer Johnny Depp - I'd like to have lunch with YOU!!

love
    Rosie
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Glad you were entertained. I wasn't being funny tho, it's perfectly true.

Now I was being funny on MeZomebie's turkey dance post.

Anyway, it's nice to be appreciated. Speaking of lunch, too bad the Ambassador Hotel closed. I used to work on "insurance row" in Los Angeles. The Ambassador was across the street and a block down.

The historic hotel had a wonderful lunch for a modest price for years. It was a buffet. Yards and yards of excellent food and massive ice scultures for decoration. My mother was always thrilled when I took her to a place she had read about when she was young.

The nightclub "The Coconut Grove" was located inside the hotel. During Hollywood's golden age it was frequented by movie stars. Somewhere I have a record of some l950s singer, Vic Damone I think, "Live from the Coconut Grove.

That's the hotel where Robert Kennedy was assassinated in 1968 while running for President. A friend of mine was there that night. Everybody was locked in for hours while the police questioned people.

Anyway if you ever make to the shores of Americay as they say in the song, I'll be happy to take you to lunch. Perhaps carnitas and margaritas? You can't eat haggis all the time.

Hoots and Huggies

Rock
  3. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I did wonder if you were being funny or perfectly serious - glad you weren't offended.

The Ambassador sounds wonderful, you must have had such great times in SF.

I hitched there from Vancouver once in 69 to see the hippies in Haite Ashbury (spell) but they were all gone, although we did meet some wonderful hippies who lived in the Santa Monica hills. Also flew there in 72 - I was visiting a Scottish friend who married a Mormon from Utah who was studying in SF - needless to say the week's visit was without evenings out or alcohol - they did take me to see the redwoods though.

If I ever recover, fat hope, and go to Vancouver then I will certainly come down and have Margharetas with you, dont know carnitas are??

Haggis actually tastes wonderful but I no longer eat the real stuff because of the disgusting ingredients though the vegetarian ones aren't bad at all. Tripe was the Scottish dish I just couldn't put in my mouth.

love
    Rosie
    [This Message was Edited on 11/24/2007]
    [This Message was Edited on 11/24/2007]
  4. rockgor

Molly, I think everybody has a knack for something. Baking cakes or whistling tunes or making money. My knack was a good memory (which was handy when I was a schoolboy), but I don't remember much anymore w/ Alzheimer's closing in.

Rosie, carnitas is roast pork Mexican style. Very tasty. They use tripe in their menudo soup/stew which is often claimed to be helpful to sufferers of hangovers.

Does "hangover" have the same meaning in Scotland: too much liquor the night before?

Ha det bra

Rock
  5. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

hangover the same meaning over here - I save mine for xmas and special occassions as the dreaded drink just kills me now.

Mexican tripe - now there's a thing, I thought it was only the Scots who ate such disgusting stuff, even the texture, the look of it - aaaaaaagh!!!

I'm a good singer, that's my specialty but too shy to sing in front of anyone - but I enjoy it myself.

Rosie
  6. rockgor

Wish I could sing. Can you sing Scotland, the Brave; Star O Robbie Burns; A Scottish Soldier; The Northern Lights of Old Aberdeen?

My brother and I love the music of the isles. He says it must be genetic w/ ancestors from Scotland, Ireland, England and Wales.

Hoots

Rock
  7. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I can sing all those songs but my favourite Scottish song is Jock O Hazeldean - a ballad by Sir Walter Scott about a young girl being forced into a marriage but she runs away with Jock - it's lovely.

My son Reni's band is using old Scottish poems and putting them to black metal music - he's really into castles and history.

love
    Rosie
  8. rockgor

Never heard of Jock O Hazeldedan. And I have hundreds of records and CDs of Scottish/Irish, etc. music. I will keep my eye open for it.

I wish you could find the Merrick castle in Wales. I've looked in books and on the net, and I couldn't find it. Altho I saw a picture of it taken in 1901. It's supposed to be about a thousand years old.

Possibly it has some other name. About 20 years ago there were still some Barons Merrick listed in Debrett's peerage.

Rock
  9. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I've sent a couple of emails out to the Welsh tourist board and an historic place in Wales - see what they say - there are a couple of others I can try if they dont know.

Just got email back from Welsh tourist board - so quick - they dont know of that castle, ask to check spelling, any idea of area of Wales and any other info.

You would love that song so yes, look out for it.

love
    Rosie
    [This Message was Edited on 11/26/2007]
  10. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Rock certainly cracks me up as well, and it would be a hoot to have lunch with the both of you.

I also wanted to tell you that I know and love the song, "Jock O'Hazeldean." I've learned to play it on the guitar, fingerpicking style. It's a beautiful song, isn't it?

I've been enjoying a couple of songs by Scotland's Dougie Maclean: "Caledonia" and "Are ye Sleeping Maggie."

11. rockgor

Hi Ken

Nice to hear from you. I didn't know you were musically inclined. In which direction do you lean? Can you play Vertor Herbert's "Eileen"?

I tried to play the guitar when I was in my 20s, but just didn't have the coordination for it. Made me fret a lot.

How come you know Jocko Hazelnuts? I'm the one w/ the big record collection. If this keep up I'm going to start believing life isn't fair.

I checked the web site for Wabasha, Ken. Downtown looks pretty much like my home town. Never visited Wabasha tho.

Thanks for looking for the castle, Rosie. I always wanted to visit the place, but now it would be impractical even if I found it.

Hoots and Ha det bra

Rock
  12. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

great to hear from you. Hope you're feeling a bit better though I now how long relapses can go on for, seems neverending but you will get a break.

Yes, Jock O'Hazeldean (Hazelnuts)is beautiful, I'm sure Rock would love it too. There's a series on tv just now 'Scottish Music' - it's excellent, going back in time til now - the monks chanting away in places like ROSLYN CHAPEL.

You have to google this place if you haven't before. I had never been in such a strange, magical place in my life til I visited there. Built by the Knights Templar - carvings on every piece of stone, really beautiful.

Now it's overrun by tourists because it was mentioned in the book by Dan ??? what's his name - Davinci Code - the poor minister gave up his post there (it was/is a working chapel, still owned by the same family) as he couldnt bear the influx of tourists interfering with his sermons.

It's great to be able to play a musical instrument, I tried guitar in my early hippy days too, could play a little but gave up just didn't have the talent.

The castle, my goodness, where has it gone, what is it called now?? I'm going to involve a few other places in Wales and see if we can't solve this and when I win the lottery I will hire a private plane and bring you both over here to see it.

love
    Rosie
    [This Message was Edited on 11/27/2007]
  13. rockgor

The author in question was named Dan Brown although some people believe his true name is hidden in a complex code which involves the Boy Scout motto, a London underground schedule, and an encycle from one of many Popes named Leo.

I read the book, but don't remember anything about the chapel. I can't believe that book had such a success. It had the lamest ending. Just sort of stopped w/o resolving anything.

Anyway the few pictures I could find and the history indicate a fascinating place. I hope current restoration efforts are more successful than some in the past.

There's an Irish shop in the San Fernando Valley (just north of Los Angeles) that might have the song in question. I will check into that. Last time I was there, some ten years ago, a rather unfriendly lady was running the place. I was tempted to ask her, "Are you sure you're Irish?"

Well, yes, it would be a great trip to visit the chapel and 2 or 3 or 50 other fascinating places and perhaps have a wee deoch 'n doris afore we have to gang awa.

Thanks for your detective work, but don't wear yourself out, Kiddo.

Tusan Takk (thousand thanks in Norskie)

Rock
  14. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

that's right Dan Brown, attempted to read the book myself but couldn't get past the first chapter.

Yes the family who own Roslyn Chapel never had the money to repair it - when we visited, not long before the book came out- there was scaffolding all round the place and they were desperate for funding. Now they have loads of money and loads of tourists.

aye, a wee deoch n doris - (you're more Scots than I am, I didnt know how to spell it, had to come back and edit it)

Rosie
  15. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I taught myself how to play the baritone ukulele about twelve years ago, and slowly graduated to guitar. When I heard how beautiful traditional Irish and Scottish music sounded on solo guitar on the national public radio show, "The Thistle and Shamrock," I had to learn how to play some songs.

(Check out http://www.npr.org/programs/thistle/)
    This is a great show, with a charming host, Fiona Ritchie, and wonderful music.

Wabasha does look like any other southeastern Minnesota town, except it's right along the river, and there are lots of islands and waterways and eagles. From the town, the bluffs are impressive, too, and the drive north to Lake City and Red Wing is beautiful, as is the drive south to Winona.

Rosie: I remember Rosslyn Chapel and the Rose Line from the end of The DaVinci Code. In fact, the actual chapel is in the film version, as is the Caledonian Hilton Hotel in Edinburgh. Sad to hear that the chapel is so overrun by tourists that services are interrupted.

If you find that Welsh castle, Rosie, I'll hop on a plane to see it tomorrow!