Rockgor

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Rosiebud, Nov 12, 2006.

1. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I was reading a post where you said you went to a '12 step meeting' - can you explain that to me please, dont know what it is???

Thanks
    love
    Rosie
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

If you live in or near a big city there are probably 12 step groups near you. You can also get more info, etc. on line.

The first 12 step program was Alcholics Anonymous which started ca. 1935. Others have developed since then: Overeaters Anonymous, Narcotics Anonymous, Alanon, etc. (Alanon is for people who are not alcoholic, but have alcholic loved ones.)

The one I go to is Emotions Anonymous. All use the basic format and the 12 steps. The meetings are not just people chatting. They have rules.

For example, you cannot interrupt the speaker; everyone gets to speak; you cannot give advice (tho people may ask for it after the meeting or on the phone).

It is a spiritual program, but not a religious one.

One of my friends who told me about the program had gotten sober w/ the help of AA. She said 12 step programs are so good, even people who don't have addictions should try them.

At the meeting I went to yesterday there was a lady in a wheelchair. The minutes last 90 min. She left early, possible because of health problems. But even part of a meeting is helpful.

There is no charge, but peoplewho can afford it donate a couple bucks to cover expenses.
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Forgot to tell you, Rosie, I read your profile.

Many decades ago I went to see Margot Fonteyn and Rudolf Nureyev. She was 59, I think. In addition to their do-si-do, I mean pas de deux, she danced in a quartet.

The three other gals were all about 22. Margot had the same slim-as-an anchovey figure. Amazing.

But I am really an opera buff. Right now I am waiting for an recording of AIDA that I ordered on line 6 weeks ago. That's time enough to sail to Egypt and back.

Addio