Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by paulmack, Jan 24, 2007.

1. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Hi rock,been doing a little research on the name Merrick,still haven't come up with the Castle yet.Do you think it could have been a Country Hall,Manor or Estate or something similar.Came across a lot of references to the name Meyrick(think Merrick is derived from this name) which seemed to own a lot of land on the Isle of Anglesey,N Wales.
    Have you seen the link below on the origin of Merrick,just below the section Renaissance(1509-1750) it mentions 4 brothers William,John,James & Thomas who emigrated to Charleston,Massachussetts in 1636:
    link is:

Then I came across another interesting link about Merrickville where it states:
    William Merrick was born at Springfield, Massachusetts, on April 30th, 1760. His ancestors had migrated from Wales to Massachusetts nearly 125 years earlier, in 1636. Their descendants pioneered the Hudson and Mohawk Valleys, and William typified those rugged men who forged a nation out of the wilderness. Men who held firmly to their beliefs, and the old adage that “God helps those who help themselves”.

The North American branch of the Merrick family came from Bodorgan on the Isle of Anglesey. They were descendants of Llewellyn Merrick who had been the Captain of the Guard during the Coronation of Henry VIII, and later, the first High Sheriff of Anglesey. In the spring of 1636, four Merrick brothers arrived in Charlestown, Massachusetts, from Bristol on the sailing ship “James”. They ranged in age from thirty-three to sixteen, and the Merrickville branch sprang from the sixteen year old.

If we knew the father of the 4 brothers who emigrated maybe we could do a search on his name & Bodorgan or Isle of Anglesey to see what comes up.Seems there was a lot of Meyricks or Merricks in Anglesey at that time,they probably owned large pieces of land.
    Interesting stuff rock,you've certainly got some impressive heritage.Look forward to your next post.
    Best Wishes,Paul.
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Thanks (Tusan Taak) for all your efforts. Please don't spend any more of your energy on this.

Yes, Thomas (the teenager) is my specific ancestor. Gordon and I were in Springfield, Massachusetts, some years ago. The Town celebrated its 350th birthday in the l980s.

I bought some postcards from the celebration. One showed a statue of a Pilgrim/Puritan in Merrick Park.

My ancestor George Merrick who wrote the book on the family said he found the name spelled 8 different ways in various records.

The Los Angeles library has a copy of George's book, but it can't be checked out. Can't be photocopied either because they have only two copy machines in the geneology dept. Each one has a permanent line of people, all waiting to copy tons of stuff. The picture in the book was taken in 1901 as I recall.

One of the several books I found that discuss the family said King Edward (forget which one) gave the title of Baron and the estate to a Merrick for services during some battle.

Couple decades ago I looked in Burke's and deBrett's (sp?)peerage books. At that time there were two Barrons Merrick. Both had hyphenated names.

It may be the castle is Beaumaris at Gwynedd. Couldn't find any info about it being occupied. I will keep looking. Just spent an hour. Found web sites that touch on history, geography, language, architecture, tourism, music CDs, a vetinarian (on Merrick Road), hotels, maps, etc.

Your research confirms my guess that the castle has a name other than Merrick.

By the way, George wrote another book. About his experience as a Mississippi river pilot on a steamboat in the mid 19th century. (Same job Mark Twain had.)

George left the job after a few years to fight in the American Civil war (1860s). It was during this war, when Lincoln was President, that one of my grandfathers was born.

My granddaughter is a 12 generation American. My son is totally uninterested in any of this. Such is life as my mother used to say.

Thanks again, Paul.
  3. paulmack

paulmack New Member

What interesting heritage you have,but your right of course there's probably too many variations of the surname Merrick to be able to trace it any further without going into serious detail.
    I did however come across a link to Bournemouth,England in my searching & think you may have some ancestors there as well.
    Just think rock,you could have become Baron Rock of Anglesey,has a nice ring to it don't you think,lol?

Did you know that the longest place name in Britain is in Anglesey as well,you probably had some ancestors marauding about there as well:
    Wikipedia says;

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, commonly known as Llanfair PG, is a village on the island of Anglesey in Wales, situated on the Menai Strait next to Menai Bridge and across the strait from Bangor. The long form of the name is the longest officially recognised place name in the United Kingdom and one of the longest in the world, being 58 letters in length (51 letters in the Welsh alphabet, where "ch" and "ll" count as individual letters). The name means: "St Mary's church in the hollow of the white hazel near to the rapid whirlpool and the church of St Tysilio of the red cave". According to the UK Census 2001, the population of Llanfairpwllgwyngyll was 2,952 people. Also, the census reveals that 76% of the population speak Welsh fluently, with the highest percentage of speakers being in the 10–14 age group where 97.1% are able to speak Welsh.

Just don't ask me to pronounce it!!!!!!!lol.

Good luck with the searching rock,
    [This Message was Edited on 01/25/2007]
  4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I have seen that long name before. Never knew it actually meant anything tho. Never knew it was prouncable either.

Well, you know, it was the law of primogeniture that led the four boys to go to the new world. A sister went too. When the American Revolutionary war came along 140 years later, there were Merricks fighting on both sides.

One of my aunts did a lot of research. She was prowling around graveyards in New England doing rubbings on tombstones, etc. One of our ancestors was a witness for the defense at a Salem, Massachusetts witch trial in 1792.

Another was a blacksmith in New York state. A village gave him free land to come and be their blacksmith. Guess that was pretty high tech at the time.

I suppose your people have been in Scotland forever?

Read a play by Noel Coward the other day. He wrote it in the l920s but it was considered pretty risque for the times. Finally had its premier half a century later. Guess where? Glascow. A few years after Noel died.

All for now.

5. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Don't know much about my genealogy to be honest.Just know that my dad's side is mainly from Scotland,but my mum's great-grandparents came from Donegal in Ireland over 100 years ago.There's not too much to add to that as I haven't done any research,probably better to let sleeping dogs lie,or ancestors should I say,lol.
    Ah,Noel Coward whose play Semi-Monde came to Dear Old Glasgow Town in 1977.I know exactly where The Citizen's Theatre is located but would you believe it's not in the actual City Centre but across the River Clyde in a working class area called The Gorbals.Was just glancing thro the cast & would you believe a certain James Bond aka Pierce Brosnan played a character called Harry Leftwich.Not much of a theatre-goer myself,but ye learn something every day.

Happy Rabbie Burns' Day to ye Rock,I'll allow ye tae have a wee drappie,haha,then have a wee drappie mair.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/25/2007]