Rod Stewart's ex has CFS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lurkernomore, Jun 11, 2006.

1. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

I was watching an hour special on Rod Stewart tonight on the Entertainment channel and it was really interesting. Well, it was to me, since I have always enjoyed his music.

Anyway, they mentioned that his life was always on the go, what with touring and all. By the time he got well known enough to tour though, he had had two children with his first wife, Alana.

Then it went on to say that it was very difficult on her as she had been diagnosed with Epstiene Barre (sp?) and had very little energy and spent a lot of time in bed.

That was all that was mentioned but I thought it was neat that it was brought up at all! They did have her speaking some about their lives together and she still looks very tired and weak. Just thought I would mention it as I hadn't heard of her suffering with CFS before now.
  2. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Hadn't heard of that either but it doesn't surprise me.

We can't possibly be the only one's disappearing from our former lives. And we'll probably never know many of the other well known names who have it cause they're at home in bed miserable too!!!!

Nancy B.
  3. Marta608

Marta608 Member

..... but surely the word is leaking out. Just think, someday people will be as knowledgeable about CFS/FM as they are about MS.

That may not be the best comparison....

Marta
  4. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I've always liked Rod Stewart, ca. 1972: "Maggie May," "Every Picture Tells a Story," "Mandolin Wind."
    Great songs!

Do you know Alana's full name?

There have been posts on here about celebrities with CFS and Fibro. There are quite a few former directors, actors, and musicians with these illnesses, actually.
    CFS and Fibro seem to be equal opportunity illnesses.

But if we HAVE to suffer from CFS or Fibro, wouldn't it be nice to do it, like Blake Edwards, in a 10 million dollar home on the beachfront in Malibu?

Kholmes
    [This Message was Edited on 06/12/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 06/12/2006]
  5. kjfms

kjfms Member

goes by Alana Stewart. Here is a link you can copy and paste. It is from USA Today. She has battled it for EBV for 20+ years. Good article.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/spotlight/2001-07-30-stewart-virus.htm

Thanks,

Karen
  6. HppeandMe

HppeandMe New Member

Someone famous now that people would listen to must have F/M or CFS. They need to annouce it to the world and bring it to light.

Is it just us normal people who get this?? Are they in bed and not getting the message out? I would understand this part.
  7. Dolphin_lover

Dolphin_lover New Member

any other celebrities with CFS would become a spokesperson for this disease! It would really raise awareness and possible funding for reseach! But I understand that stars are relunctant to admit they have CFS due to the fact that it makes them uninsurable for movies, concerts, and other things that provide income for them.

Some of the other celebrities that I have heard of that have CFS are: Blake Edwards (husband of Julie Andrews)
    Cher
    James Garner

Thats all I can think of for now. I'm having a major brain cramp now.

Dolphin
  8. baanders

baanders New Member

Why do I have this strange feeling that Anna Nicole Smith has FM/CF? Under stress she went into the hospital for opioids. She gained a lot of weight. She had difficulty concentrating. What does anyone think?
  9. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

I really believe there are many people out there, possibly those who have, at one time or another, been in the high profile positions who could have helped us. I know that, at one time, Alana hosted a morning talk show with another of her exes, George Hamilton and it was cancelled. Perhaps due to her failing health. I doubt we will ever know though.

But once they..we, reach a certain point of being past going, well, we know what it is like just to have to run errands. Can you imagine what it would be like for them to try and do press conferences or interviews, what with all the preconceived ideas of perfection there is for them? (All I would want would be to be left alone.)

And *yet* until someone with the big name, big bucks, celebrity status, goes to bat for us, just as Michael J. Fox has for Parkinson's and Montel Williams has for MS, we are still just here, sort of fending for ourselves and flapping in the breeze. But anyway, I still say that the small bits of interview they showed of Alana Stewart made her look very tired and frail and I definitely felt for her.
  10. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

I haven't heard anything about Anna Nicole Smith being dx'd with anything other than a very strong fondness for prescription medications. She does seem to have gotten a bit straightened up from that recently though and has dropped a lot of weight. And I really hope she has because now she is announcing that she is expecting a baby. I hope she has been able to keep the meds out of her body so that the fetus will thrive and develop normally.
  11. AquariusGirl

AquariusGirl New Member

She admitted to bad health problems--which included Epstein Barr for 2 years after the Michael Jackson marriage.
    Saw this on Oprah.

Kelli
  12. julieisfree05

julieisfree05 New Member

Blake Edwards has been VERY public about his illness, and even directed a movie ("That's Life") that was about his struggle to deal with it and his problems with the medical establishment. Anyone with CFS will recognize the subject if they watch it. Songwriter Randey Newman ("Short People", "I Love LA") has also spoken openly about his CFS, but he's not a "big" star.

Cher admitted to having CFS in the 1990's, but later said it was a "mis-diagnosis"..the same with writer Gore Vidal.

I also have it on VERY good authority that Liz Taylor has FM, but won't admit to it.

Why? Who knows.. She could help us tremendously.

Another reason that "Seabiscuit" author Laura Hillenbrand it one of my heroes is her willingness to speak and write about how debilitating CFS truly is!

It is sad, but it seems that your illness is only as important as the celebrity who has it..

- julie (is free!)

When you're a celebrity
    it's "adios" reality
    You can act just like a fool
    and people think you're cool
    just cause you're on tv.. - Brad Paisely
    [This Message was Edited on 06/14/2006]
  13. leodalion

leodalion New Member

I hate to out anyone, but I always think of CFS when I see Lindsay Wagner on the commercial she does for the bed. Forget the name of the bed?! Fibro Fog strikes again because I've seen the commercial a million times. She sure looks tired to me. I always liked her though. I could be wrong but its just a famous person who comes to mind with me. Good topic. We do need more celebrity spokespeople, probably fearful it would ruin their career. Sleep number bed I think is the name of it. Hope its o.k. to voice my opinion on this. not knocking the bed either, cuz when you have fibro. cfs. cmp. etc. its like the princess and the pea you could sleep on a cloud and still wake up tired and very sore. I wish they could find some concrete test to confirm these DD's. I know they are finding some markers but there has got to be more. Also celebrities know its a controversial topic and people still judge us as being complicated difficult hypochondriacs. Which yeah its complicated, but its also very real.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/14/2006]
  14. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

Oh no, surely you have not doubted yourself for all these years hon! Noooo, I was told, long before the fibromyalgia DX. that I tested positive for the "Yuppie Flu." When I told the doc I felt very ripped off, because if I had to get their flu, then I wanted their Beamers and vacation homes too, he laughed so hard!

But thinking back, that was about twenty years ago. And I am 49 now myself. And from the way I have felt, I never doubted his diagnosis at all. And by the way, he was well known as the best diagnostician in the state!
  15. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

Oh my goodness! You had the same thoughts that I did when you saw Lindsay Wagner doing the Sleep Number Bed infommercial?

At first, I thought "the poor woman looks and sounds so tired, I think she needs to just crawl onto that bed and do some real sleeping!"

But seriously, I can't explain it, maybe it is the sound of her voice, as if she is too exhausted to even talk, or the look in her eyes....I don't know. But I have to agree, she does not look well rested. And to be doing a commercial for a bed which offers a more "recuperative sleep," I would think that a more vivacious, energetic person would be asked to do that. (But then, that would probably just get on my nerves so-there is no winning, is there?:)
  16. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

There is something about the eyes.

You can see it in most of us. Anyone who is really a close friend to me can see it in my eyes.

Lolalee
  17. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

People, even well known acquaintances seem to avoid looking me directly in the eyes anymore. On the rare ocassion that they do, they will often remark "oh, you are not doing well today, are you?" I don't have to say a word. But eye contact, anymore seems to be happening less and less frequently...or is it just me?
  18. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

I use to see her popping up on the TV all the time and now, it's as if she has vanished from the face of the earth. Very interesting indeed. My heart goes out to her, and all who have to deal with EBV and Fibro as well.
  19. darude

darude New Member

Interesting. I grew up with ROD!!!!! I dated him very briefly (before was famous). mmmmmmmmm maybe something to with him? Just kidding.