Rollators / Walkers

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Andrea4, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Andrea4

Andrea4 New Member

I've been using a cane for many months now and I am finding that it's just not doing enough. I finally broke down and ordered one of those rollators with the hand brakes, little basket and a seat. It was 89.99 on Amazon with free shipping.

Does anyone else have one of these rolling things? I looked at a traditional walker, but it just didn't seem to be very functional to me for what I'm feeling.

I didn't tell my dh I ordered it...he is sooo angry with me about medical expenses and the things I need to be able to function enough to care for our kids. We are flat broke, I put it on the credit card and I hope he doesn't bawl me out for doing it.
  2. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Andrea:

Do not explain too much to anyone. If you need it you need it. About three weeks ago I got my shower chair with a back.
    I got the suggestion from this site. Funnny how people who understand can help.

Now...I am safe in the shower after some near tumbles.

nyrofan
  3. jhmitch

jhmitch New Member

I can understand your husband objecting to the purchase of little "extras", but medical costs are (unfortunately) a part of life.

A rolling walker (or rollator) is a medical necessity, IMHO, if you can't get around. Has this device worked for you?

Perhaps you might tell your husband that he has 2 choices: you can return the rolling walker but NOT be able to take care of the kids all the time, or keep the rolling walker and life goes on as usual.

My guess is that he might see that the cost of the rolling walker is tiny in comparison with the expense of paid childcare.

PS: We own a rolling walker (rollator) and we take it with us anytime we go anywhere that requires walking or standing. I have no cartilage in either of my knees and abdominal hernia problems so this device has been a real life-saver.

No objections from my spouse, since he was the one who suggested we buy the rolling walker in the first place.[This Message was Edited on 07/04/2006]
  4. Andrea4

Andrea4 New Member

thanks for all the replies.

i dont have medicare...i have private insurance. I havent seen my fibro doc in a couple or months...i kept having to reschedule it for various reasons....mostly money. i see him in 2 wks. I didnt have a script for it, so I just went ahead and ordered it. i still am too chicken to tell dh. I think he wants me to have what i need, but i also think he gets irrational about it...like gee, look at all the $$ we're spending on HER and nothing on me. (and it's like that...money for bills and medical is all there is and even that, there isn't enough.)

<sigh> i hope this thing helps. going outside is so scary. I've had some tumbles in the shower too and i keep meaning to get one of those bars that attaches with suction to the tub. But i have to tell you, it's so hard to go outside with a 3 & 5 yr old and feel like I can protect them when I'm using a cane...i wonder how it'll be with the rollator? maybe i can roll after them faster! :)

5. Andrea4

Andrea4 New Member

6. JLH

JLH New Member

I just got me one, too. You got yours at a good price.

I got a script from my PCP for it and went ahead and sent it to Medicare, but I am pretty sure that they won't pay for it because I already have a wheelchair that they paid 80% of.

My doc said that they look at it like, if you needed the wheelchair, you shouldn't be able to walk enough with this rollator.... or something like that.

Anyway, I wanted it even if they don't pay for it. But I got a heavy duty one and it was $329.00. I knew I was having knee surgery and would need it--as I would need to walk to exercise my knees, but with a pinched nerve that I have in my back, I might give out and need to sit down really fast, so that seat on the rollator would come in handy.

The only thing that I don't like about mine is that it is too big to fit in my car's trunk. It will lay on its side in my back seat, though.

I didn't tell me DH that I ordered mine either, but then I normally don't tell him that kind of stuff. That's where it comes in handy to have your own income.

Hope you don't get in trouble with your DH for getting yours!

Hugs,
    Janet
  7. Andrea4

Andrea4 New Member

my rollator just shipped from amazon. i am so happy but also worried because i still havent told dh, who just left town for work.