Rollicking Remedies

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by rockgor, Jan 24, 2015.

1. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hi Kids

Yesterday was not such a great day. When I posted last night, I thought it was
    morning. And then I had some extra trouble on top of the usual troubles. Well,
    anyhoo, I watched some cheery stuff on Youtube. It was so therapeutic I
    recommended same on the Homebound board and am posting it here.

Hello friends. Are you tired, run - down, listless? Do you poop out at parties?
    Are you unpopular? The answer to all your problems is not presently available,
    but sometimes a simple home remedy can provide temporary relief.

For example, I just watched

Carol Burnett - Bust Ups, Bloopers & Blunders

on Youtube. Cheered me up considerable. Generally one must follow
    instructions when taking meds. But here it really doesn't matter if you
    watch part one or part two first. No need to shake first. You will most
    likely shake with laughter while watching.

Perhaps you have some similar remedies at your home: a favorite tune;
    book; snack; game; pet?

Your responses are cordially solicited.
  2. hangininthere

hangininthere Well-Known Member

Laughter is truly the best medicine, hahahaha.

Here's a hilariously precious video I love.

These grandparents in their 90's couldn't make it cross country to their grandson's wedding. So a young relative helped them make this video wedding toast, which was played at the reception. Watch til the very end, it just gets funnier and funnier. They were serious.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  3. hangininthere

rockgor likes this.
  4. rockgor

Hi Patti

Loved the video. "With age comes wisdom." Although I think most of us would
    rather be younger even if it meant some loss of sagacity. Phyllis Diller died a
    couple years ago. She was 95 At some point she said, "I have so many liver
    spots, I ought to come with a side of onions."

Dave Barry is my favorite funny man. I think he is America's funniest writer.
    I am sure he's the most prolific of all our great wits. I used to have all his books.
    I got rid of them and my records and tapes a couple moves ago. But I still
    check his books out and reread them now and again. I don't remember reading
    the treatise on skiing before. Have you read his novels? The most recent is
    "Insane City". He also has a new book of essays due out shortly. I have
    it on hold.

5. hangininthere

My fave Phyllis Diller line is "My kitchen floor is so dirty you could eat off it."

It's akin to my fave line from Joan Rivers. "I hate housework. You make the beds, you wash the dishes and six months later you have to start all over again."

I haven't read any of Barry's books. Just one small excerpt a long while back, I forget which book. I saw a few YouTubes of his lectures/book signings.

He's my second fave next to my top fave Erma Bombeck. Her books, not her articles. Her articles are too random and out of context compared to her full books which develop the 'plot' all in context.

I can be in the pit of depression and read Bombeck and be laughing out loud every time.

I laughed out loud through the Burnett blooper video you posted.

There's one other old paperback book I have that makes me laugh out loud every time, and that's 'Without Feathers' by Woody Allen. That's the only book I've ever read of his, got it at a thrift store decades ago. Check it out if you haven't already.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
    MahendraTrivedi likes this.
  6. rockgor

Hi Patti

About 40 years ago my aunt and uncle sent me one of Erma's books. Fell in
    love with her immediately. Read them all. She had provocative titles.

Haven't read any books by Woody Allen. Put "Without Feathers" on hold. I
    saw part of his early film about the bank robbery. I was in the mental health
    unit at St. John's hospital at the time. Needed some laughs. Some years later
    I saw some dreary movie of his. Don't remember the name. It was in B
    & W and the opening scene showed people on two buses. A very dreary

I started to watch another movie of his because it had the wonderful Geraldine
    Page in it. I found it pointless and boring. Quit after 20 minutes. Lots of
    folks seems to think he's brilliant. I think "uneven" is a better term.
    Gotta quit. There's some kind of time lapse here with my keyboard.

7. Alyssa-Admin

Alyssa-Admin Active Member

Hi there! I am new here...yep...You Tube is great...some stuff that they have on there are whole series! I was watching the Brady Bunch the other day...and Get Smart! A.x
  8. hangininthere

Welcome, Alyssa. I see you're a cat lover. I'm absolutely goo-goo over cats. What's his or her name in your pic?

Cats are my happiness remedy.

I can't have cats where I rent. The muffler repair shop I go to has two of the friendliest cats. As soon as you sit down to wait, one of them gets right up on your lap and purrs away the whole time. Sheer joy for me.

To a cat lover, that purr is music to one's soul.

Me and hub watch full episodes on YouTube, too. Love 'Get Smart', hahaha. I've said "Sorry about that, Chief" throughout the years as a joking apology when I commit a blooper. I love 'The Twilight Zone' and 'Outer Limits' on there too, and tons of others.

I think most of Woody Allen's movies are boring, too. The ones I like a lot are the comedy 'Sleeper' and the serious one 'Husbands and Wives'.

'Without Feathers', each chapter is a different essay. He makes hilarious twists just like Barry and Bombeck. Let me know if you like it or not. Don't be afraid to tell me if you don't like it. I'm the only person I know who tells the truth if someone asks me if I liked a movie or book they like or not. Then they get peeved if I say I didn't like it, which seems so strange to me. I don't get peeved. I appreciate knowing the truth about something simple like that.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  9. Alyssa-Admin

Hi Patti! I love Bewitched, anything with Audrey Hepburn and some stuff with Doris Day.... Easy movies where I don't have to think! Although one of the better movies that we love and have watched over and over again is RV with Robin Williams. (I can't even watch any of his stuff sad!).

I have never heard of Without Feathers is it kind like a Jeeves and Wooster thing?

Just back from a walk. We live in Scotland - the foothills of the highlands are almost at our back door! No snow...but we are hoping it will Wednesday and Thursday! :)

Just attempting to write a press release for the book my friend and I co-authored. I have now written 6 releases - all crap...and NOW have decided to read 'how to write a press release'. Doh!

I look forward to getting to know you better and everyone else!

Have a great, pain free day!

10. rockgor

Hello Alyssa

Welcome to the Board.

OK, I'll tell you how to write a press release. Write down 5 or 6 adjectives that
    you wish applied to your book. Now write some sentences that incorporate
    one or more of those adjectives. For example, this book is poignant and
    full of suspense.

For additional impact, put the name of a famous writer after each sentence
    such as Garrison Keillor, Tammy Hoag, or Mark Twain. Pretty simple, huh?

Good luck.
    Rock :rolleyes:
  11. Alyssa-Admin

Hi Rock, well, I think I did something better than that...I am going to get a PR company on board. It is a bit of a tricky book to describe - as it is illustrated for children - but it is actually a self help book for adults with invisible illness and chronic pain. So we shall see! Thanks for the welcome and the hints! A.x
  12. Alyssa-Admin

13. rockgor

Hi Alyssa

I suspect you're right. Might as well get some pros in there to help steer. I
    never wrote a press release, but I did write a book. I kinda doubt it will
    become a best seller as it is for law students.

BTW, I am related to a best selling author. Tami Hoag is my sister in law.
    Well, to be rigorously honest, she is the sister in law of my sister in law.
    That is, my brother married her sister in law. Although since Dan and
    Tami got a divorce, I suppose we are exes now.

Actually I never did meet Tami, but I met lots of members of the Hoag
    family. My sister in law was surprised when I informed her that her
    family was the first to settle and farm in our Minnesota county. I
    found that out in a small town library in Oregon. This teaches us that
    knowledge can be everywhere and anywhere if we but look for it.

Good luck with your literary project. I hope it becomes very popular
    and enlightens lots of people.

14. Alyssa-Admin

Hi again!

This is actually the 2nd edition of the book - new publisher, much better quality across the board. I am actually feeling relieved all of a sudden all the projects that I have been working on for the past two years have come to fruition in the past month or so. As I keep saying, The Universe works quickly these days! :) I feel a lot less pressure now that we are going to hire a PR company. I tried to research them out but couldn't find anything - or at least anything negative. So we will see. And the sense of relief of having this lifted off my shoulders is absolutely huge. So much time and energy went into this book. Originally, on top of co-authoring it I said I would be happy to do the marketing. This I can regards to hospitals, social workers, the health system...but getting proper press releases out to ALL the papers, radio, and other and abroad. My head hurts just to think about it! So. The word of the day today? RELIEF. And also very glad that my husband has agreed to pay for the PR company. Gosh, it already feels like Friday...and it is only Tuesday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have got my two boys (the cats - Roobarb is our other one - part feral, but he allows us to touch him, on our bed only)...and he cannot see hands. Both snuggled up beside me in bed. Awwww. Are you doing anything interesting today?

15. jkennedy

jkennedy Member

The markings on this cat just crack me up. He looks like a true genetic joke:

rockgor likes this.
  16. rockgor

Hi JK

Thanks for the pic. Poor pussy cat looks perpetually perplexed. Come back and
    visit when you feel up to it.

Alyssa, "Rhubarb" was the name of a book made into a movie back in the 50s.
    The book was by H. Allen Smith. Here's a quote from the author regarding
    his own book. "There are other people to be thanked...Professor Morris Gilbert,
    who read the finished manuscript & pointed out its grammatical perfection
    & complete lack of flaw..." (From the shameless author's preface).

So you see, here's an author who was not shy about promoting his own work.
    If you haven't read "Low Man on a Totem Pole" you might want to give it a
    look. I read it when I was a kid. Found it in the back seat of the car on a
    long trip to Minneapolis or someplace.

My recollection is that Smith was a reporter and the book is full of his reports
    about colorful characters he interviewed.

17. Alyssa-Admin

Sounds like a good book...I shall see if it is on Kindle (when my allowance comes in from hubby :) )
  18. ConfusedInPA

ConfusedInPA Well-Known Member

Hi everyone!!

Great to read this thread. I loved all the comments and videos, pics, etc.

Have y'all run across the "DEAR KITTEN" videos?? They are sponsored by Purina, and only found on the net. If you go to YouTube and search Dear Kitten, you'll find them.

This is the latest video that was posted -- for the Super Bowl:

I LOL when I watch these videos. :p

I hope y'all enjoy.

Diane :D

PS: Alyssa, Good luck with your book! How exciting!

19. Alyssa-Admin

I have never seen them before...but I will be watching them with hubby later! Hilarious!!!!! Kappy Cat likes to eat, as we call it 'al fresco', he takes his food (dry) and like a chipmunk stores it, walks away with it from the cat dish, and then, when he has found the perfect spot (light beige carpets) decides to let them drop out of his mouth and eat them. I just had a bath (their dried food is in the bathroom) and saw him come in to get some kibbles...and take them out. Only to come out to find one, just one, resting in the middle of my heating pad on the bed.
  20. ConfusedInPA

ConfusedInPA Well-Known Member

Did Kappy Kat want some "warmed kibble" for a treat?? :) LOL

Hubby and I have 3 cats, ages 5-ish (two of them) and 2-ish (the other one). Our 2 year old Rosie is certainly going through her terrible 2's right now. Last night, she decided to chew off the tail of a rather large toy mousie, and I guess she swallowed it? In little bites, or one large swallow -- we don't know!

Rosie had a constipation prob last year, needed some enemas, a couple xrays. We were back on the right track (with a hairball remedy, and a low dose stool softener). AND NOW she's decided to chew on toys (and swallow!) again. We may have to pick up all cat toys that "could be" dangerous. We're keeping our fingers crossed.

And nope the cats aren't hungry. They have kibble and water. They get 2 meals a day of canned cat food. And a treat in the afternoons. One of our cats (Tabeet, my profile pic) had to have all of her teeth removed because of an autoimmune disease, so she can't nibble on kibble. She's doing great on canned food and some well thought out human food. :)

Anyways, curious minds want to know ... did Kappy eat the kibble? :)