Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by gapsych, Mar 1, 2009.

1. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I think something in my apartment is making my allergy symptoms worse. My daughter also reports this when she visits.

I have no clue what brands are best and I can not afford an expensive one. I would like one that also helps with odors.

I read that there is some controversy over the ionized air purifiers but can not find why.

I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks in advance.

[This Message was Edited on 03/02/2009]
  2. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

There are many room-type HEPA filters available, often in the < $100 range. Highly rec to our family by several allergists. In fact, we are double-HEPA'd, one on the furnace, as well as in-room HEPAs during certain seasons. We got our HEPA at Costco, but I have seen them at most department stores, incl Walmart.

Ionizers may help kill viruses, but may not definitively help you reduce allergic symptoms.

As far as odors -- have you tracked down the source. Sometimes odors are a clue to potential allergy or irritation triggers that must be dealth with in a more mechanical (cleaning) fashion -- eg. pets, mold, smoke. I don't mean to be insulting when I say this. We live in a coastal climate & the mold-abatement battle is daily, ongoing, but necessary for our health & well-being. HEPA removes some of the ambient spores, but we still have to do the mechanical & preventative.

Best wishes.

3. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I found a Hepa for $99 at Home Depot and it got very good reviews.

Thanks for all the suggestions and the web site.

Valuable information.

4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Here I thought hepa was some kind of infection.

Gap, I hope you and your new roommate are very happy together.

Honeywell is like me. It used to live in Minnesota.

5. gapsych

gapsych New Member

You brought up an interesting questions.

As long as my "roommate" obeys my house rules, things will work out. However, I have not decided if Hepa, is a he or a she. I always name things like my car, etc. My car is named Lucy after Lucille Ball. I will have to live with Hepa for a while before I decide.

Hey, I think I just came up with the name!!

I don't think it makes a difference except Hepa is in my bedroom and I don't want to undress in front of it, LOL!!

A long time ago, and this would be forbotten today, my doctor asked my sexual orientation. I felt it was none of his business. I told him N by NW and he laughed so hard the rest of the appointment was ruined. However, the next time he saw me, he said he had told the story to a lot of doctors. He did not use my name and I hope the other doctor's got it.

I wonder where Hepa is from? I have not noticed a southern accent, so I have ruled that out. I will have to do some research here.

Do people in California have regional accents since so many people are from other areas? My daughter has actually taken classes to learn how to speak different accents. Thank goodness she never inherited my nasal, elongated vowels, Midwest accent. We warsh the deeches, here. Me, I prefer a dishwasher.

Well I have gotten totally off topic again.