Root Canals/Safe or toxic for us??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by DoveL, Oct 19, 2006.

1. DoveL

DoveL Member

Hello Friends,

I am debating whether to get my back bottom tooth pulled. I have the option to get a root canal, BUT am reading that they could be 'toxic' to some people???? Esp. scince I have CFS/FMS, and am sensitive to alot of things like meds, ect. I don't know if I should pull the tooth or get the root canal? I would hate to have the back tooth pulled, and have my upper teeth shift downward, BUT I would hate to put something in my body that may cause a reaction, and make me feel sicker...

Any advice, or thoughts on root canals would be greatly appreciated.

PS..I thought my teeth were the only healthy part of my body left, I quess not!! LOL

Thanks
    DOVE
  2. maedaze

maedaze New Member

Talk your dentist about this as they have a few different compounds they now use, just make sure they don't use the mercury filling... the silver ones..

They have finally been banned over here for children but we still get dentists that will use it.... scary.

Nothing is ever simple is it? Not even a trip to the dentist.!

good luck, but do talk to your dentist about your worries, he might also have other patients that have cfs/fibro. My dentist has a daughter who is sick, and also has patients with it. so i actually get more understanding etc from my dentist than from doctors!
  3. DoveL

DoveL Member

Thanks for the reply!! I have to get this infected tooth taken care of..I have been putting it off for too long...of course, my insurance does not cover root canal for that particular back tooth, so this is another delema.
    Also, I would want to go to someone reccommended for this procedure, as I do not trust Docs and dentists at this point!!

HUGS
    DOVE
  4. shootingstar

shootingstar New Member

I have had several root canals with no problem, then two that became infected. One was repaired through surgery, the second I am having pulled next week and replaced with an implant. There are good and bad dentists out there, and I hope you have a good one. I have had way more than my share of dentistry.

I can not imagine your dentist would recommend having a back rear lower molar pulled without replacing it with an implant. You can't have a bridge on a back tooth -- nothing to attach it to -- and I don't believe a single tooth replacement with a partial works there either -- could be wrong on that.

If your teeth shift over time it can throw your whole bite off causing wear on other teeth. I would guess that it might also increase the risk of TMJ. Implants are expensive, but possibly not more than future repair of damage resulting from not replacing that tooth.

If you can save the tooth by having a root canal and crown that would probably be the least expensive way to go. There is always a small chance that it will fail, but that is minimal. Tell the dentist of your concern with the procedure being toxic. There are choices of materials for crowns. I'm not sure what is used for the root canal itself, but there may be choices there too.
  5. suz45

suz45 New Member

Hi Dove:

I have had several root canals and they jnow use different composites for the procedure than in years past, no mor amalgam type fillings once the procedure is completed.

My husband had been a biomedical engineer in the dental industry for nine years, make sure the debtist is using a composite filling, the root canal itself should only require local (Novacaine) anestehics.

I think that have the root canal seems less invasive than a tooth extraction whuich as you stated could cause teeth shifting and possibly more problems. Talk with your dentist, make sure he is using the most of to date methods.

One thing is you don't want to develop and abcess, very painful

Good luck..
    Suz45
  6. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Dove,
    Please let me tell you what happened to me:

I had a Dr.in Oakland, who had CFIDS/Fibro. He was really upset because he couldln't get any help from fellow doctors. He has a friend who is an oral surgeon, and they were talking about it. The oral surgeon suggested that the Dr. have a scan to investigate the possibility of infection in the bone. Pockets of infection were found where the Dr. had had root canals. They were biopsied and removed by use of surgery and antibiotics. The Dr. is 80% better, now.

This same Dr. told me that he had had over 70 patients whose DD's had been caused by infections at the base of old root canals. It seems that it is almost impossible for dentists to get all of the infection out, so it remains, and over time, the bone marrow is affected.

I have 4 pockets of infection at the base of 4 root canals. My problem is that I'm allergic to all antbiotics, so I am still struggling. These 2 doctors firmly beliee that one of the causes of these DD's, for many people, is bone marrow infection, caused by root canals.

So that's my story. Take it for what it's worth. The Dr. is Dr. Tufft, and the oral surgeon is Dr. Swann, in Milpitas, California.

Good luck to you, whtever decision you make.
    Terry
  7. shootingstar

shootingstar New Member

This is interesting. I had an apicectomy to remove a pocket of infection at the base of an old root canal and rebuild the bone about three or four months ago. They biopsied it, and I should get a copy of those results to see what bacteria strain was involved. I was on a three-week course of antibiotics. I have been feeling some better, and had wondered if this might be involved, but don't know.

Now I have a second pocket of infection at the base of another old root canal. I am having that tooth pulled in a couple of weeks, and will probably be on antibiotics again. It will be interesting to see if this helps all these other symptoms. Obviously not all of us have these types of dental problems, but it could be part of the picture.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/20/2006]
  8. DoveL

DoveL Member

Thanks for all of your replys!!

Now I am really confused; to pull a tooth, or root canal..I hate to do anything that would make me sicker (meaning root canal)>> I am so sensitive to meds and other things, that I don't want anything more foreign in my body...
    I still have a few days to decide.

Hugs to all..
    DOVE
  9. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Dove,
    I think that root canals are an effort by dentists to help save a smile. In this country we put a lot of emhasis on, not only good, but perfect, teeth. Our appearance is overly important to us. So, the decntal establishment realized that a root canal would save the natural tooth. On the surface it seems like a good solution. However, I've beedn hearing more and more about people who have residual infections at the base of root canals.

In other countries they seem to do more of just pulling the tooth, or putting in a partial bridge. The story about other teeth coming out of alignment if a pulled tooth is not replaced certainly hasn not proven to be true, at least in my case.

I had to have 3 teeth on the side of my face removed because of this problem. I couldn't afford a partial plate and since they don't show, I've just left the gap.That was 4 years ago. None of my teeth have moved. My bite is still perfect, and I'm just fine.

Good luck to you, whatever you decide. Please let us now how you are.
    Hugs,
    Terry
  10. Bambi

Bambi New Member

canal is just a fairly temporary fix, they end up having to be pulled anyway eventually.

My teeth are awful, they break off at the root and just drop out eventually when I bite down on anything, it can be just bread. The usual pain shots don't work for me, and because of severe chronic Asthma I can't use gas. I'm allergic to Sodium Pentethal sp? and they don't want to put me out due to needing a respirator that they feel I might not be able to come off of.

To top it off I'm probably overly afraid of dentists having HIV or AIDS since they get nicks and sticks all the time. So I KNOW my teeth and the roots left behind are not doing my health any good but for now I'm afraid to do anything else. Our insurance only covers common things like normal extractions, cleanings etc anyway. Bambi
  11. suz45

suz45 New Member

Regarding Root canals and tooth loss I have had 6-7 root canals and operations on my jaw by a maxiofacial surgeon due to a serious injury that occured 30 years ago when I was 13. I have also had damaged bone removed... If one uses a good oral surgeon, discusses the concerns about anestethics, there should be minimal chances of complications.

I still have all my teeth that had root canals, I also have implants and several porcelin crowns in the front to restore my smile. My dentist, surgeons all were VERY cautious about the procedures.... I healed relatively quickly and they used different meds due to my FM and seizure disorder.. The key is to make sure that you 1. have a good team, discuss options, especially if tooth loss will change your bite which not only changes your appearance, but can change your overall health as well.

Just wanted to clarify, I have the "million" dollar mouth not by choice and I made choices as how far I would go to correct my jaw/face/teeth and ultimatley smile.

I would never risk an abcess...then you are risking a systemic infection as well. Talk it out with your dentist or oral surgeon, there are many options available these days as opposed to when I intially had to deal with these issues years ago..

Suz45