Rosacea / coconut oil

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by Daisys, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Daisys

Daisys Member

A little over a month ago, I started using coconut oil on a daily basis for rosacea. I noticed an immediate improvement and that has continued to this day.

I've tried different approaches:

Using coconut oil as a makeup remover/cleanser--just slathering it on and then wiping off.

Applying coconut oil and then using another cleanser for taking it back off.

Applying a small amount and rubbing it in, apart from my cleansing routine.

My conclusion is that for me, it doesn't matter. Just having some on my skin in whatever way, daily, has kept the inflamed redness away. I still get flushed sometimes after eating, or getting overheated. But, it goes away soon, and I'm left with normal looking skin: pale with a little pink in the right areas.

I still am applying the Finacea from my Dermotologist, but am not very diligent, since it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Hope this is useful for someone else.
  2. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I had a lot of redness (along with some bumpiness and flakiness) early on in my antiviral treatment.

Mixing a little coconut oil with my regular facial cream did wonders.

Best, Lisa
  3. texasmaia

texasmaia New Member

They have dxd my 18 yr old daughter with Rosacea and I am not sure that is what her problem is. Gave her a cream and it has gone away.

How do I know it was a correct diagnosis from family doc?
    Maia
  4. GranmaBB

GranmaBB New Member

Where do I purchase coconut oil?
  5. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I got mine in a big bottle (maybe 8 ounces) from a health food store.
  6. mujuer

mujuer New Member

I use it in my indian cooking and find it in the health section of my supermarket where they have things like gluten free foods and natural vitamins along with organic packaged goods. I will have to pass this on to my sister who has this face problem.

Another good thing to do with coconut oil is to mix a little in with your popcorn and it taste like movie popcorn, oh yeah.
  7. Daisys

Daisys Member

Lisa, I've been keeping up with your progress, so I knew you were getting good results with it. Thanks for commenting here.

Maia, It's great that your daughter's rosacea responded to treatment. I wouldn't keep searching for answers if the treatment is successful.

GranmaBB, I get coconut oil from my local grocery store. I always get the organic kind and use it in cooking and on my face.

Mujuer, that's a great idea for using it with popcorn. I keep the carbs pretty low, but sometimes get a craving for popcorn and will indulge a little. I'll keep that suggestion in mind.

Thank you all for responding.
  8. Daisys

Daisys Member

When I first got rosacea, I was put on metrogel. After years of working fine, it stopped, and I was put on roseac. That didn't help at all, and so I started with finacea. It may help a little, but not much.

I've seen pictures of what untreated rosacea will do, and so haven't been ignoring it. I'm so glad I found something that has stopped the progress of it entirely. I'm not kidding, my skin looks great. :)

Hope you get good results from the metrogel, like I did, for years. But, if it ever fails, I recommend going with coconut oil.
  9. Diva55

Diva55 New Member

Just popping in to say I've recently started to use coconut oil as my skin is so dry. My nose continually looks sun damaged with peeling skin - no idea why, started a few months ago.

No moisturiser helps so I got a big tub of coconut oil from the health shop. I now put this on my face and legs everynight and my skin is improving.

I don't like the taste of coconut so don't use it for cooking. Funnily enough I don't like the smell of coconut but have gradualy got used to it especially after seeing some benefits.
  10. Daisys

Daisys Member

Thanks for popping in.

I never thought of coconut as being especially tasty. But, since I've been using it for health reasons, it's grown on me. I've cut back on dairy, so have used coconut milk for some desserty things, and really enjoy it. A 'legal' goodie.
  11. Diva55

Diva55 New Member

Hi Daisys
    I've tried putting a small amount into a mild vegetable curry to get used to the taste but can't really get to like it.

I've heard of the health benefits so I'll have to try & conquer it!

Glad it's such a benefit to you. Wow, I love natural things that help instead of being stuck with just meds.

Best wishes
  12. LouiseK

LouiseK New Member

Thank you for that information. I'm rushing out for a bottle. I am using Metrogel but . . .eh . . .it's so so.

I am on antibiotics for this which I hate and believe has made me sicker and caused severe yeast problems all over the place. Three months now on the antibiotics and the doctor said some people have to do this forever!

Anyone have experience with antibiotic use for rosacea? I am freaked that I would have to take this forever! It's a full dose of doxycycline, can you imagine?

Anyone have info about this??

Thank you.
  13. Daisys

Daisys Member

I hope it works for you so you can stop the ABs.

It's ironic that there's such a struggle for those with Lyme to be allowed to take ABs long term, and that illness is systemic, and hard to keep in remission. But, now that I think about it, you could connect with them to see what they do to control the candida overgrowth.

14. LouiseK

LouiseK New Member

Thanks for the good suggestion and, I know, it's kinda ridiculous that people need AB's and can't get them and I go in with a rash and . . .well, not that rosacea is any kind of picnic. Anyway, good advice to check with those on them -- I always thought candida was not so bad but with the DD's everything we get is so magnified.

15. Daisys

Daisys Member

I agree with you--I also use coconut oil in cooking, along with olive oil.

The last time my cholesterol was checked, my good kind was soooo high, it put the total a little over the 200 mark. My doctor told me to ignore that, I'm doing great!

I really don't need lip gloss or lotions nowadays.

It also doesn't seem to affect my weight--my weight goes up when I don't feel well, and goes down when I do, while my eating habits remain the same. It's more of an energy thing with me.

Thanks for your input.
  16. Daisys

Daisys Member

I agree with you, this sharing of knowledge is beneficial to all of us. This board has helped me alot.

I wonder if the reason tourists get sick in the tropics is because the local diet helps control illness. I know coconut is a daily staple for many, for eating and as a lotion. Just a little pet theory of mine. :-D
  17. Daisys

Daisys Member

I went on vacation to the tropics, and so stopped my abx while I was gone. After about a week, I noticed my complexion was not as great as usual, and I started wondering if it was the doxyclycline that was so good for my skin.

Well, I just went back thru my journal, and see that I didn't start the abx treatment until after this thread was started.

It looks like I have double help with my face--coconut oil and doxycycline both. My dermotologist is impressed with how good my skin condition is for my age (55), especially my face, even without considering I struggled with rosacea for years.

Thought I'd bring this forward for some who maybe haven't discovered coconut oil as a face cream yet. (It doesn't take much, and I usually mix it with my sun block cream).
  18. GigglePoet

GigglePoet New Member

Thanks Daisy
    I feel blessed you posted about this as I have been suffering horribly from it for the last year. I have a lot of scaring amd if I don't get on top of it... I will have severe deformity. What is the Finacea like? is that an antibiotic. I have very oily skin. Which way do you think would be best for me to use the oil?

Hugz GigglePoet
  19. GigglePoet

GigglePoet New Member

Thanks Daisy
    I feel blessed you posted about this as I have been suffering horribly from it for the last year. I have a lot of scaring amd if I don't get on top of it... I will have severe deformity. What is the Finacea like? is that an antibiotic. I have very oily skin. Which way do you think would be best for me to use the oil?

Hugz GigglePoet
  20. jake123

jake123 New Member

I want to try the coconut oil for my rosacea. Last time I went to the dermatologist he criticized all the meds I was on, Ambien and Nortrytilene (if I don't take it I have awful nightmares) and Topamax and then he wanted me to take another pill! I'm 58 and I don't want to retire taking twenty pills a day. I'll give the coconut oil a try, thanks! I've done the metrogel thing also and alot of compounded stuff the derm. prescribed (pricey).