Rotisserie Chicken recipes anyone?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TwinMa, Oct 26, 2008.

1. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I made chicken burritos last night with a rotisserie chicken. It was yummy. Whole family liked it. It is very pretty and colorful. Obviously, you can leave out or add anything you like.

Chicken Burritos

1 Rotisserie chicken, shredded
    ½ onion, chopped
    1 t garlic, chopped
    1/2 - 1 small can green chilies
    1 C salsa
    seasoning (cumin, S&P)
    ½ - 1 C corn
    1 can black beans

shredded cheese
    sour cream

Saute onion, garlic & green chilies. Add remaining ingredients and heat through. May need to add water or chicken stock to thin out filling. Put filling on tortilla. Top with cheese and sour cream & wrap it up. Could add more cheese on top of tortilla.

What do you guys do with rotisserie chicken??? They are so handy, I'd love to hear more recipe ideas.

[This Message was Edited on 10/27/2008]
  2. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I love Rotisserie chicken. We always have one meal with the chicken just the way it is - served with mashed potatoes, then I'll make a chicken salad or something with the left overs.

Thanks for the chicken burritos recipes. I also make chicken enchiladas. Any chicken recipe is great with Rotisserie chicken is you ask me. I have a great White Chicken chili recipe. If anyone wants it - let me know. It is fantastic.
  3. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I usually buy a fotisserie chicken each week.

I would love the chicken chili recipe.

4. mezombie

mezombie Member

I eat the rotisserie chicken as is. I heat it up with sides for dinner and have some cold as part of my lunch.

As I live alone, a whole chicken goes a long way.

Once it looks pretty picked over, I throw what's left (bones and all) in a pot with cut up carrots, celery, and onions and make soup out of it. It usually turns out quite tasty and is very healthy as well.
  5. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I'd love to have the white chicken chili recipe, too!

When you are making the soup with the "leftovers", do you add the skin, too? Do you screen out the bones/skin and just eat it as "stock"? Or are you leaving all that stuff in?

One other thing I do is use the chicken on top of salads. I shred it and use it as a topper. My kids went nuts for that!

Keep the ideas/recipes coming!
  6. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

This is not only a family favorite, but everyone that comes over wants me to make this! I rarely use recipes or measurements. I tend to season more to taste. What's great about this, is that you can do just that. Add as much spice as you like. If you like things a little hotter or spicier, add a little more. I usually make a big pot, so you may need to adjust or cut in half, but let me tell ya - it's just as good, the second and third days!

1/2 onion (I use white)
    1 tsp garlic powder or 1/2 tsp jarred garlic (or fresh!)
    1 (4 ounce) can diced jalapeno peppers (I often leave these out)
    1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chile peppers
    2 teaspoons ground cumin
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
    4 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
    1 lb cooked chicken breast
    4 (15 ounce) cans white beans
    1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese

I like to cook my chicken in a skillet ( or use Rotisserie!) with a little oil. I'll also add a little onion and I season my chicken well with pepper, garlic and onion powder.

In a large pot, put the rest of the ingredients, except for the cheese, then add your chicken after you cut it into bite size pieces (or shred). I also add either frozen or a can of corn. King Soopers (or Von's) is where I buy my White Beans. They are called White beans. I think you could probably use Northern Beans. Keep checking your broth - if it needs a little more of something - just add it. If you like things "hotter' like I said, you can even add a couple of tablespoons of salsa or chili powder.

When serving, add the Monterey Jack cheese on top. I serve it with some good bread. It is SO delicious,especially on a nice chilly evening.

7. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Thanks for the recipe. I plan to try it this weekend!!

8. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I make something very similar in a crock pot, and I agree, it's delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

BDTMU - You can find many versions of do-it-yourself rotisserie chicken by googling. I saw quite a few when I was trying to find recipes using RC. Good luck.

So far I'm seeing for uses for Rotisserie Chicken:

Eat as main dish with potatoes & veggie sides
    Chicken Burritos
    Chicken Enchiladas
    White Chicken Chile (stove top or crock pot)
    Chicken Salad (anyone have a good easy recipe??)
    topper for salad

use carcass for soup

Keep those ideas/recipes coming!
  9. mezombie

mezombie Member

When I make chicken soup out of the leftovers, I throw everything, skin, bones, etc. in the pot. I let the soup simmer for several hours. Once it's cooled down, I refrigerate it overnight. Then I skim the fat off the top the next day and let it simmer some more.

I screen out the bones and skin before serving. That's really the most time-consuming part.

I tend to make this soup when I feel like I'm about to cluck if I eat another bite of chicken. Depending on how much meat is left on the carcass, it can turn into a substantial chicken vegetable soup, or it may end up as more of a stock.

If I have a particularly large chicken, I may slice and dice the meat and freeze it for later use. I've made Chicken Tetrazzini using frozen, diced chicken.

A good way to mimic a Rotisserie Chicken's flavor at home is to roast the chicken upright. There are a number of contraptions that will hold the chicken in this position. They're available in most stores that sell cooking equipment.
  10. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Thanks for the soup tips, mezombie. I didn't get around to it this time, so I think I'll just start tossing the Rotisserie Chicken carcasses in a ziploc in the freezer. When I get 2 or 3, I'll make a batch of stock.

Here's a Chicken Tetrazzini recipe I got off the net. I haven't tried it, so I don't know how it is, but the recipe looked good.

Chicken Tetrazzini

4 ounces mushrooms, sliced
    1/3 cup onion
    4 tablespoons butter
    3 tablespoons flour
    1 1/2 cup chicken broth
    1/2 cup milk
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup chicken broth
    3/4 cup Parmesan
    8 ounces spaghetti
    2 cups cooked diced chicken

Cook mushrooms and onion in butter; stir in flour. Add 1-1/2 cup broth and milk and cook till thickened. Remove from heat and add salt, pepper, broth and 1/4 of the cheese.

Cook spaghetti and drain. Combine spaghetti and chicken in 2 quart casserole and pour sauce over to mix. Sprinkle with cheese and bake at 375 for 20 minutes.