rough couple of days.............

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kadywill, Nov 10, 2002.

1. kadywill

kadywill New Member

Copius quantities of excruciating pain. On a 0-10 scale, this is an 81/2 to 9! I had to call in today...yesterday I came home early. This is my "pain in the butt" again, but now the pain is radiating into the groin and down my right thigh and my lower back, itself, is so stiff and sore, I can't lie down or get up without screaming and my husband had to help me into and out of the tub last night. I looked in my CIGNA book to see if there were local chiropractors that CIGNA would cover. I'd have to drive to Winston-Salem, about a 45 minutes drive and I don't know if I could do this with this degree of pain. I go to Winston to my liver doc tomorrow, but my husband will be taking me. I may see if I could be seen by a chiro there while I am in the area. I have tried heat, ice, my baseball (which KILLS ME TODAY), rest, walking, gentle stretching, epsom salts baths, prayer, Ibuprofen,aspercream, icyhot, bengay, rice sock......it just won't get better.
    Any advice??
  2. kadywill

kadywill New Member

Copius quantities of excruciating pain. On a 0-10 scale, this is an 81/2 to 9! I had to call in today...yesterday I came home early. This is my "pain in the butt" again, but now the pain is radiating into the groin and down my right thigh and my lower back, itself, is so stiff and sore, I can't lie down or get up without screaming and my husband had to help me into and out of the tub last night. I looked in my CIGNA book to see if there were local chiropractors that CIGNA would cover. I'd have to drive to Winston-Salem, about a 45 minutes drive and I don't know if I could do this with this degree of pain. I go to Winston to my liver doc tomorrow, but my husband will be taking me. I may see if I could be seen by a chiro there while I am in the area. I have tried heat, ice, my baseball (which KILLS ME TODAY), rest, walking, gentle stretching, epsom salts baths, prayer, Ibuprofen,aspercream, icyhot, bengay, rice sock......it just won't get better.
    Any advice??
  3. kadywill

kadywill New Member

This is ONE pain my Ultram and Soma don't touch! Ibuprofen 800 mgs. does a LITTLE good, that's all. I think I may have a bulging disk putting pressure on my sciatic nerve and that's why muscle relaxers aren't helping. I can't afford to take more (po) meds due to this danged old cirrhosis and the ibuprofen was really not a good thing for me, either! I do see the liver doc tomorrow to see what the hepatologists at UNC think about my biopsy.....pray for me, girl!
    I am SO sorry you've had it ruff! I have missed you and was glad to see that fighting spirit on another thread this morning. I love how you defended Karen.....
    I understand that we don't feel up to writing and posting when we're this sick....I read all I can, but hesitate to write when I am so down. (like I did about my dislike for the holidays) People tend to preach to me and I don't need any more of that! lol So, I'll shut my mouth 'til spring when I'll be more upbeat! I look back at my life and I see that I made all my wrong moves in the fall and winter months of the year; things such as, leaving my first husband, suicidal tendencies, etc. I should hibernate like a bear!! lol
    Love to you, my friend! If this board has done anything for me at all, it has given me a great twin/friend/sister/nurse/mother/bitch!!!!!lol
    Kady
  4. kadywill

kadywill New Member

this is ImmuneSUPPORT.COM......emphasis on SUPPORT. That's why I am here. I can research and read all I want anywhere on the internet; I need support 'cause I get none anywhere else.
  5. kadywill

kadywill New Member

I'd drop to the floor right now, if I could, but I'm alone and I doubt I could get down there or back up.....my husband won't be here until about 6 p.m., so I'll just hafta wait for him!
    Thanks for the advice. I cannot sit here any longer. My computer chair is a straight, hard, ladderback and I am dying here!
    OWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Love,
    Kady
  6. epicurean

epicurean New Member

you have been very kind to me,am saddend to hear you are feeling so bad!!I have been on the upswing for the last few weeks-can only hope things get better for you also.
    Good-luck and wishing you well.
  7. kadywill

kadywill New Member

in my CIGNA book for a local chiropractor in my network and there isn't one....I believe this would help me. Our insurance changes to BCBS in January and they have a local chiro in their network. Should I ask for an MRI to determine the cause of this severe pain? My doctor thought it may be a disk problem pushing against the sciatic nerve. What could they do if this is the cause?? It has been horrible since yesterday a.m. and I can't get up or down by myself. I can't even sit on the toilet without screaming! HELP!!
    Love,
    Kady
    [This Message was Edited on 11/11/2002]
  8. LindaGa

LindaGa New Member

Kadywill, I"M new but have read many of your post on the board you seem like a nice and caring person.I feel for you with the sciatic nerve I"ve had this problem 15 years mine is caused by degertate diseases not disc problems. Lying on the floor helps me and the use of a walker on real bad days it takes some of the presure off the nerve,hot baths with a a whirlpool,right now im on ultrcet and nerurotin for the pain they help some but dont ease all the pain.I found a gel that saves me a lot of pain and i use it at night and the day if i need it it is called biofreeze,it is not hot therapy but cold therapy i had to get a small pharmacy to order it for me it cost 16.00 but it is the best money i spend for relief it beats the pills any day,do not use a heating pad with it,one day i put on to much and it was bad but after 20 min it was grat i didnt hurt for the day,mind you i use it on my whole leg due to the pain,also use a heat massage that goes in my chair and a heating pad to lay my lower back on(when not using biofreeze)use biofreeze on lower back and butt for the pain too.Maybe this will help. Hope You Find Relief. LindaGa
  9. kadywill

kadywill New Member

I'll try to find some BioFreeze....I REALLY appreciate the advice....maybe mine isn't a disc problem after all!!
    Thanks for the compliments, too....that always makes me feel good inside!!
    Love and appreciation,
    Kady
  10. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

I am so sorry that you are in so much pain. I have found one thing that does help me a lot. It is available in most feed stores and is called Equiblock. It is designed for race horses, but the FDA approved it for humans about 7 -8 years ago. It is a sort of a gel, with a whole bunch of capscacin (red pepper), and some other ingredients. It is fairly expensive, but they are so certain that it will help that they tell you to use it for 30 days, and if it does not help, they will refund 100% of what you paid, including postage, if any. If you decide to try it, use it at least 5 - 6 times per day for the first week, then you should be able to cut back gradually until you only need it twice a day. One thing to be VERY sure of is to wash your hands TWICE, with plenty of soap, immediately after applying it. If you get any in your eyes, you will not be happy! Hope you are feeling better soon.
    Kathryn
  11. pam_d

pam_d New Member

that you are in such excruciating pain right now! I don't have any more suggestions to offer than you've already had, but I would push for an MRI; in my layman's opinion, pain that severe certainly could be disc/sciatic nerve related---an MRI will confirm disc disease. I have cervical disc disease, and the neck has fewer options for a "fix", but I have been hearing that there are newer, much less invasive treatments for low back disc problems. Please check this out, you shouldn't have to be in such agonizing pain...I'm hoping this gets better for you, Kady.

Mental Hugs (ones that won't hurt),
    Pam
  12. LindaGa

LindaGa New Member

Dear Kadywill, also if you will use pillows under your legs and sleep on your back this helps i use 3 pillows also one of those pillows made for going between your knees is great or put a pillow between your knees for some reason keeping your hip level helps this is for sleeping on the side sorry about the spelling this dd disese has taken my writing believe it or not i was a writer before this. LindaGa
  13. kadywill

kadywill New Member

could it be at the Tractor Supply Store? They have lots of horse stuff. Thanks for the warning about the handwashing. It would be JUST like me to hafta go to the doctor for this, too!
    Also, I WILL push for an MRI. I KNOW my doc'll agree. He agrees with anything to shut me up!
    Love you guys!
    Kady
    p.s. How do I learn to sleep on my back after all these years? I have tried and tried and I always end up on my right side......right now lying on my back is VERY painful unless I put something under my behind. Also, I can not fall asleep with pillows between my legs...I've tried this too. It is so hard for me to fall asleep under the best conditions and impossible under these. HELP!!
    [This Message was Edited on 11/11/2002]
  14. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

I hear you about disc pain--that one pretty much tops the cake! I had a problem with that when I was pregnant with kiddo #3, and did not take meds--it was horrific. I slept, every night,leaned forward in a chair, with my head resting on a barstool with a pillow atop. (Kinda reminded me of my sleeping postures in highschool!) I had lowerback probs for quite awhile, zapping down the legs and all, but thankfully they went from acute to chronic, and seldom give me trouble now, just some stiffness, and numbness in the back of one leg. I have the cervical thing going on now, and although its not great, I will take it, any day over the lower back. There is just no way to move, rest, or plain get comfortable, let alone reposition-when your lower back is affected. My heart goes out to you!
    Please do get your Doc to check this out with an imaging..so much has changed in that area, since I experienced it. Not only that, but it seems you have exhausted most of your means, and its time to ask for a bit of help. Hope you can get some relief quickly!
    Karen
  15. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

get yourself to a doctor. There is probably something in addition to the FMS that is causing that intense a pain. They have just started doing a new type of surgery that inserts an artificial disc rather than fusion. The local hospital did the first two on the west coast yesterday. It's expensive, but if covered by insurance, who cares? I don't know about the tractor store. I would let my fingers do the walking. I know it can be ordered through the mail, but I don't remember how. Good luck. Have that MRI. At least they don't hurt!
    Kathryn
  16. kadywill

kadywill New Member

after my hot epsom salts bath last night and I could even lie comfortably for the night, but this morning when I got up, I leaned forward to write something down while looking up at the calendar and............BAMMMMMM!!!!! it hit me again and now I'm back in the same amount of pain. I waited and waited for my PCP to return my call last night, but he never did. He has done this before. I rarely call him and I seldom even visit him, so what's his problem??? Oh well, I go to the liver doc today for the results of the "further review of my biopsy" and I'll call my PCP after that. I'm supposed to work tomorrow!!!!!! There is NO way I can do that without MUCH relief! If my husband weren't taking me to the liver doc today, there would be no way I could go with this pain. We'll be going in his big truck instead of my short little car, which is good....I could NEVER stoop down enough to get in the car!! Well, I'm going to eat four more Ibuprofen, which are REAL good for my liver damage, huh????
    Love,
    Kady
    [This Message was Edited on 11/12/2002]