Rough Night of Sleeping/Panic Attacks

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by NyroFan, Mar 13, 2006.

1. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Hello all:
    Last night I had a hard time sleeping, although I took my Ambien. I woke up every hour on the hour and got up each time to pace around, have a glass of water and then get back into bed. I would sleep another hour and then up I was again.

Strangely enough I started having panic attacks this morning.
    It started in waves, so I went for my Klonopin since it is also used for panic attacks, along with seizures.
    Right now I have settled down, but it scared the heck out of me.
    Any suggestions?
    Hugs,
    NyroFan
  2. matthewson

matthewson New Member

the last few days. I am going to ask my Dr. for some xanax or ativan to take until they subside. I posted about this and someone suggested mag and calcium supplements. I have been taking more mag. and I think it is helping some.

Also, I accidently took an extra neurontin and that seemed to help me some. Neurontin is a GABA enhancing drug and so is xanax and the other benzos.

I posted a good article on neurotransmitters if you want to take a look at it. Really explains in depth about the 4 different neurotransmitters involved in mental health. Might be worth a read.

Take care, and I know how you feel! It is an awful feeling!

Sally
  3. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

Hi NyroFan -

Sorry to hear about the panic attacks - they stink. Their origin is tied in with anxiety levels. I started having them at two years sober. Klonopin helped me - but the actual culprit was bipolar disorder. What I thought was "anxiety" was actually mania. It became "official" when I was put on a mood stabilizer and the mania (and the panic attacks) went away.

My manic symptoms always include not being able to sleep, being agitated (feeling a "hum" of anxiety in my chest at all times), having an unusually rapid bad temper, going on spending sprees, starting a home improvement project in the middle of the night, irrational thinking, etc.

I would recommend that you get a referral to a psychiatrist (if you don't have one already). They are most medically qualified to diagnose whether it is anxiety disorder pure and simple or perhaps something more complex. In any case, there are many medications available to treat this.

It all comes down to brain chemistry. If there is an imbalance, emotional and physical health suffers.

I am on a mood stabilizer called Seroquel at bedtime, it has an additional advantage in that it makes you sleepy without being a sedative. I also take 3 mg of melatonin and 500 mg of valerian root at bedtime. I was waking up at least 3x a night (without the additional symptoms you described) recently until I added the melatonin and valerian to my bedtime regimen. I take everything 90 minutes prior to bedtime.

Hugs,
    Madame Curie

4. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Thank you for all of the good advice. I go to the doctor this coming Monday and will see what's what. Matthewson, I will look for that post. Mme. Curie, I will also ask my doc about taking that route you suggested. Thank goodness I had Klonopin on hand.
    And that you for sharing your experiences with your panic attacks. They are miserable to have.
    Hugs,
    NyroFan
  5. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Helps me sleep but it maybe not the best sleep.

Panic attacks are the pits.

Love AC