Royal COLLEGE OF GP's CFS/ME NO LONGER classed as MENTAL HEALTH

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by simpsons, Jul 22, 2008.

1. simpsons

simpsons Member

INCH BY INCH STEP BY STEP THE WAR IS BEING WON.

MAY BE REPOSTED

The MEA is pleased to announce that we have been informed by the Royal College of General Practitioners (RCGP) that they will now remove their classification of CFS as a mental health disorder.

This follows a prolonged exchange of correspondence with the MEA on this issue (>> http://www.meassociation.org.uk/content/view/570/70/) and the fact that it was also raised in House of Lords questions to Lord Darzi in June, and at the APPG meeting in July.

This is an important precedent in that it will now be very difficult for anyone in a position of authority to claim that CFS (or ME or CFS) can be classified or officially listed as a mental health disorder.

The MEA will still be meeting the RCGP to discuss the wider issue of diagnosis and management of the illness in primary care.

Thanks to both the Countess of Mar for securing time in the House of Lords for questions on ME/CFS to Lord Darzi in June and to Baroness Howe for asking about the RCGP classification ( >> http://www.meassociation.org.uk/content/view/573/).

The relevant part of the email from Ruth Palmer, Director of Professional Development and Standards at the RCGP, states:

Dear Dr Shepherd

I am pleased to inform you that the Curriculum Development Group and
    Postgraduate Training Board have now debated the views expressed about
    the reference to CFS/ME in the Mental Health statement and have agreed
    to remove the reference from the statement. It was not felt necessary to
    insert a specific reference to CFS/ME elsewhere in the curriculum, eg
    under Neurological Problems, because the curriculum takes a largely
    generic approach and does not specify every possible condition.

We remain happy to have a meeting with you and I am sorry that it has
    taken so long to arrange this.

Yours sincerely

Ruth Palmer
    Director, Professional Development & Standards
    Royal College of General Practitioners
    14 Princes Gate, Hyde Park
    London SW7 1PU

2. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

That's so awesome. :) Congratulations everyone! :) The Countess of Mar rocks and thank you to all the folks here who have been working so hard to get this accomplished. I'm so happy for our friends across the pond and I'm sure this will affect all of us in other countries as well.

tee
  3. Bluebottle

Bluebottle New Member

This is wonderful news, we are slowly gaining ground over the might of the powerful UK psychiatrists. I've emailed the wonderful Countess of Mar to thank her for the wonderful work she does for us.

It's an absolute disgrace though that they can't put it in the neurological classification where it belongs. Our first point of contact is always our GPs. We need to fight for that.
  4. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

And, about time!

Thanks to all across the pond who have worked so hard for the benefit of the ME community. We are all in this together.

Peace,
    Rafiki