Royal Jelly--Could be bad for you if you have allergies!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by KateMac329, Mar 7, 2006.

  1. KateMac329

    KateMac329 New Member

    Hi all!

    Okay so have you guys heard of Royal Jelly?

    Basically Royal Jelly is this: Royal jelly is the food of Queen bees. It's actually a substance secreted from the glands in the heads of worker bees that's fed to bee larvae. After a few days, the larvae that have potential to develop into queens continue to be fed this nectar.

    This is what makes up Royal Jelly. But in fact royal jelly is comprised of 60 - 70 percent water, 12 - 15 percent protein, 10 - 16 percent sugars, and 3 - 6 percent fats, with vitamins, salts, and free amino acids making up the rest.

    Okay so now the dangerous part.

    After much research I have found that those who have allergies especially to ragweed and pollen have a potential risk of severe reaction including anaphylactic shock!

    Some companies who sell Royal Jelly only tell you that if you are allergic to bees or honey not to consume this product.

    I PERSONALLY did not KNOW that consuming this could cause an allergic reaction if you have allergies to ragweed and pollen.

    I have these allergies but ordered Royal Jelly because they did not state this.

    Please BEWARE of this product if you are highly allergic!

    Just wanted you all to know before someone got sick!

    (((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))

    kate
  2. Jeanne-in-Canada

    Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

    I haven't found a green drink that doesn't add pollen, and often royal jelly too. I had a very strong reaction, though it built up over time and became more severe, so it took me awhile to clue in and recognize my pollen allergy symptoms.


    jeanne
  3. Sbilek

    Sbilek New Member

    Also bee pollen, which I use and recommend, same thing, one has to be very careful if you have allergies.

    I always recommend that if you're trying the bee pollen to start with one little pollen, and then continue adding each day, just in case.

    Sbilek
  4. KateMac329

    KateMac329 New Member

    Good idea to start out with one and then go from there!

    I only wish I had read up on this stuff MORE before trying it.

    Along with everything out there blooming my allergies have been crazy!

    Thanks for responding!

    kate
  5. Juloo

    Juloo Member

    But I've been curious. Thank you for posting that. A couple of summers ago, I got curious about bee pollen and bought a jar. I sprinkled some on my cereal in the morning. My body started to ache ALL OVER. I could barely straighten my body to walk (normally none of this is a problem -- CFS is my DD, FM only minor). When I had to get out of the car, I must have looked like an 80-year-old, hobbling.

    The next day, no bee pollen, and I was back to normal.

    Thinking maybe I'd just had a bad day, I tried again a week later. The same thing happened -- unbelievable aching!

    So no more bee pollen for me!!!
  6. KateMac329

    KateMac329 New Member

    I am so glad that posting this information could help someone!!!!

    Yes it definitley sounds like you had a reaction of some sorts!

    (((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))

    kate