Rude Nurse and Doctor today at new doctor office

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by livin4him, Jun 7, 2006.

1. livin4him

livin4him New Member

Just had to share this experience because I know we all go through it and it helps to hear that we are not the only one.

Note: Up until this past year I always weighed about 130 or below. But due to all the medicines and worsening of health, I have gained all this just in the past 6 - 8 months.

So, went to new lung doctor today. I had been with the lady that did my breathing exams for about 5 minutes. She was looking at the computer screen while I was in the "closet" doing my breathing and she said, "huh, just noticed that it says here for a person your age and height that you should weight 123." I weigh 164. I just looked at her. And I said a prayer for God to help me forgive her.

Then, went into see the doctor, tell him what I have - fms, mps, and cfids, etc. etc. he says so do you exercise or are you a couch potato. I said well, I have cfids and it is very hard on me to exercise. So, you're a couch potato he says.

By the time I got out of there I felt very fat and lazy and was really feeling bad about myself. But, I just talked to God about their inconsiderate remarks and how I was feeling, and as usual he made me feel better for where I am today.

Doctors and nurses should all become patients. lol

[This Message was Edited on 06/07/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 06/07/2006]
  2. tlayne

tlayne Member

I also think that they should have to take all the meds that they "try" on us. I have to remember that vengence isn't mine, and that God will deal with them. I am sending you a big hug for a better night. Hugs, Tam
  3. dolfenn43

dolfenn43 New Member

All I can say Is what a A-hole.

Sometime when people are like that I really believe that it could happen to them. They will think long and hard about their attidudes.

dolfenn
  4. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Doesn't matter that my eyes are those of a non-diabetic, but he makes a comment about my weight everytime I go there. He is the only doc who does that, so I may tell him next time that it doesn't seem to bother my family doc or endocrinologist, so why should it bother him?

It is people like this that I wish could walk for a month in our shoes.

Sorry you had to go through this, Livin. I think I'd look for another doctor too if it is possible.

Hugs,
    Faye
    I only have to see this doc once a year and he is the closest ophthalmologist or I would find someone else. I have to drive back home with my eyes messed up by myself.[This Message was Edited on 06/07/2006]
  5. KateMac329

KateMac329 New Member

Jokingly (sp) I laughed to myself and said "you must be in Alabama"! No joke! Then I glanced at your profile and about lost it! LOL

I am in the Huntsville area and actually had a nurse hang up on me earlier in the week.

Believe me I understand about rude nurses and doctors!

Sorry this happened!!! (((HUGS)))

kate
  6. JLH

JLH New Member

I'm so sorry that you had to experience that today.

I "had" a rheumatologist like that until I just recently changed this year. All he ever did was comment on my weight and to help my fibro and lupus, I needed to exercise, exercise, exercise. Then I got the lectures about why didn't I join Weight Watchers, etc.

He would actually tell me that I would take the time and put forth the effort to go attend meetings if I had something like cancer and was going to die, so why wouldn't I do the same for my weight, which will eventually cause me more health problems and may end up dying from them!

When my primary care doc asked me about my pain level and what did my rheumy say -- I just told him that he didn't care that I was in pain, all he ever said to me was to lose weight.

When my PCP looked me in the eye and said, "then why are you still going to him?" I said I don't know anyone else to go to in this area. Then he told me about this new doc that just opened an office in town--so he made an appt for me and I've seen him 3 times now and just love him! He is really concerned about my pain level, has never said one thing about my weight, and I just love him!!!!!

My old rheumy is 30 miles out of town one way, and my PCP is 40 miles out of town the OTHER way--so I wasn't aware of a new rheumy coming in to that town.

I have decided that I will no longer put up with rude doctors and/or nurses!

Janet
  7. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

I am so sorry that you had to deal with this. Unfortunately, there are some rude people, "in authority", at least they think they are but what they fail to realize is that it's the patients that provide their finances.

I agree, they all should become patients. LOL

BlueSky555
  8. dan0248

dan0248 New Member

I would have told the SSOB's they could kiss my A double ** the first S is for stupid and the rest you can figure out. I know just how you feel, I quite smoking and as you have pointed out with the meds and the sheer anguish of trying to work out is unbearable. I would have also told them they must not be familiar with people like us. I know there are a lot of health care personnel that do not believe in CFIS and F/M. I sure would have liked to drag them along with me back when I was still climbing poles and working on high voltage lines to see the look on their faces when I missed a step and built a huge 12, 000 volt fire, or just ten days before that I got into a 1100 volt circuit and just barely got off. These were caused by the Brain Fog that we all are so lucky to live with, I had worked in this field for over 35 years and had never made a mistake like that. I was the Chairman of the apprentice council for eight states and the lead inspector of accident response team for natural gas and electrical. I could go on but the point I was trying to make was we all suffer thru this DD and try to make the rest of the world under stand just what it’s like.
  9. livin4him

livin4him New Member

It makes us feel better to know we are not alone in the injustices that are served to us daily by others who obviously have never had to suffer with the chronic pain, fatigue, brain fog, insomina and on and on I could go. And I am grateful that I have learned from this DD that my energy is too precious to make anyone understand who doesn't really care. I just keep my boundaries up and I'm okay.

Yes, that was my last visit to that office. I have gone to so many doctors like that in the past 2 months I think I have just given up on for them for awhile.

My next visit will be to go back to the FCC where we are understood.

Thanks again.
  10. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

Sorry you had that happen.

My rhuemy's nurse basically acccused me of abusing pain killer's because i stopped by the office to try to get an appt. w/him for something stronger than darvocet, which does nothing.

She told me to go to a GP, because my rhuemy would nOt prescribe anything stronger.

i made an appt. w/ a GP, then the same nurse called me up and said she could get me an appt. after all.

i told her I made an appt. w/a GP, then she accused me of playing 2 doc's for meds! She is the one who told me to see a GP!

I don't know if she is senile or on a power trip or what.

Now I hate going to see him, because I have to see her first.

Don't know what to do but ignore her, as long as he is willing to help me.

So I know how you feel.

Funny doc's say to avoid stress, I wonder if they know they are a big cause of it themselves?:)

Claudia
  11. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

You had to deal with this, this is not right. I exercise and yesterday I decided to skip it and go to bed, and boy did I ever feel better not trying to push myself. I have decided I can do a lot beter just by taking small breaks to ,ie down every few hours, so this doc has NO idea how this DD affects us.

Love Anne Cromwell
  12. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Bye-bye!

My friends, we do NOT have to take this kind of treatment. We think we do because underneath it all most of us feel guilty for being sick with a illness(es) that many people haven't heard of. I say to [heck] with that! We're just as worthy of respect and kindness as anyone, maybe more.

Don't take it anymore! There are good health professionals out there. Don't settle.

m.
  13. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

I think they forget that saying that isn't like saying. Your test was negative. It's all just a clinical thing to them.

Most of the ladies in one of my doc's office are overweight so I don't have to worry about that. And, 164 is not really all that bad unless you are four foot tall.
  14. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

I think they forget that saying that isn't like saying. Your test was negative. It's all just a clinical thing to them.

Most of the ladies in one of my doc's office are overweight so I don't have to worry about that. And, 164 is not really all that bad unless you are four foot tall.
  15. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member