Running with FM

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by RunninCrazy, May 12, 2006.

1. RunninCrazy

RunninCrazy New Member

I was diagnosed with FM/CFS in February this year. I'm a noob. In high school (graduated in '99), I was a runner. I ran my first race when I was 9 and was probably Olympic material at some point. I was little and bony and fast!

In my junior year ('98ish), I started having problems breathing and had a constant sideache. I increased my potassium intake, added more crunches and situps to my workout and tried to stick it out through the races. I fast went from a 5:00-mile to an 8:00-mile in a few months. (Talk about irritating!)

Soon, chest pain was added and the doctors kept telling me, for two years, that it was in my head and to get over it. I didn't. I stopped running because I knew that something was wrong and I didn't know if it was life-threatening. I didn't want to screw anything up any more than it already was.

In college, my first senior year (Thanksgiving '03), I went to the hospital with pancreatitis. They said I was lucky to have survived but couldn't figure out why I got it. I don't smoke, drink or do drugs. (Hehe, at least, I didn't do drugs at the time. Now I "do" them daily!) Ever since the pancreatitis, I've been going downhill pretty fast. I'm trying to get back into the running scene. My long-term goal is to run my first marathon in 2010. I'd like to do the Boston in 2015, but we'll see if I have any qualifying times by then.

In the mean time, I'm working in a therapy pool as often as I can get there, I'm setting up a workout with my doctors and a new (free) PT. We'll hopefully have me out of the water and walking on a treadmill by August. And (gasp!) possibly lifting light free-weights to tone up. Hehe, what a book I've written! Are there any other runners out there!? I really, atm, don't know what I'm doing and would like to commune with other like-minded individuals.
  2. sherri_baby

sherri_baby New Member

That must have been hard for you. I was never a big runner but I hate the fact that my kids are all teen agers and I can't get out and play volleyball or basketball with them anymore like I use to. I do try to get out and hit a couple of golf balls with them but every once and a while but I really don't feel like doing anything.

I am thinking positive and I hope you meet your goals for the future. I think anything is possible.

Best wishes,
    Sherri
  3. Zzzsharn

Zzzsharn New Member

Hi Runnin..
    Your Mom told us to expect you!!

I'm afraid you may not find many runners here, former runners maybe!!!

It's wonderful to hear you are doing water therapy and if the PT can get you out and running again then I'd say they are doing a fantastic job.

I can only speak for myself (35 yr old female mom of 2)- but most of us feel like walking to the frige is a marathon of sorts.

I'll end by welcoming you, and promise you will find many compassionate and caring people here.

Sharon
  4. erfula1

erfula1 New Member

Not a runner either but I wanted to tell you I admire you for not giving up on your dreams. Just know your body and listen to what it tells you. Don't push yourself too hard. Never give up either though! Good Luck.
  5. Michelle_NZ

Michelle_NZ New Member

Hi

I am not a runner as such, but I used to run, walk and go to the gym alot. I've always been very active.

I've not been able to do any exercise at all since July last year, and in the last 2 months I have become housebound about 50% of the time.

Do you suffer from post exertional maliase? That is what stopped me exercising - the last time I tried, I went for a 40 min walk and spent the next 6 days bedridden.

Take care
    Michelle
  6. place

place New Member

I was a big runner, I had to stop due to plantar faciitis (it was really fibro). I have started treament 6 weeks ago and have tried to run (nortriptyline at night for sleep)

I new I was ready to run small amounts (10 minutes) when I was able to play tennis for an hour after a full day of an active job!

Running is really tough on your muscles,it really makes my calf's tight, it takes at least 1-2 days to have them relax.

I don't know if I will get back to my 20-25 miles a week again, but I will settle with not pain during the day and once a week a wonderful run for 10-15 minutes.

Not sure on what muscles are effected with you, but weight lifting has always made those muscles feel worse.

Good luck,
  7. sueliza

sueliza New Member

I hope you can get back to running soon. You may not be doing any 5 minute miles, but at least you could enjoy the feeling! Wow, that's fast.

I was running 20 - 25 miles a week when this dd started two years ago - I loved it! The farthest I ran was a half marathon and I realized I didn't think I wanted to do a whole marathon!! :)

I still run a little occasionally, but I usually end up paying a price. A rheumatologist told me that maybe I could get into a routine where I cross train most days and run once a week, but I haven't come close to that yet.

Hopefully your age will work to your advantage and the fact that you were in such great shape to start with. Good luck.

Sue

8. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

If you run with CFS, eventually you will be so sick you won't be able to get out of bed. I think that you are in denial or possibly haven't done enough research on CFS to know this. Maybe your Dr. tells you to push yourself. That is bad information. Dr. Cheney (sp?) on this board, makes it very clear that aerobic exercise is definitely bad for people with CFS. Anaerobic exercise is better.

I used to run too, and loved it, but had to learn NOT to. Marie