RX FREE/discount Programs INFO & anyone use any of these?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by victoria, May 23, 2006.

1. victoria

victoria New Member

We are being overwhelmed with the costs of RXs for our son with Lyme, the abx etc have been very expensive and there is no insurance for him at 18...

I googled Rx assistance programs as well as here - was surprised to see as many websites as I did - most list a lot of programs in general. These programs offer free or discounted meds for those with little to no income.

Thought this may be of help to others, so here is a list of what I found. All are non-profit/org sites. Some programs are limited as to what drugs they help with, so it may take some looking...

And if anyone has any experience with ANYof these, PLEASE COMMENT! -Thanks!
    ------------

pparx - stands for 'partnership for prescription assistance', has comprehensive list of participating programs, has an online wizard for seeing what programs you might qualify for

NeedyMeds - also has list of programs by governments (state/fed) as well as by brand name & generic, etc.

RxAssist - RxAssist "offers a comprehensive database of these patient assistance programs, as well as practical tools, news, and articles so that health care professionals and patients can find the information they need. All in one place."

Makoa - free or discounted RXs

DisabilityResources - lists of programs also

RXOutreach -this one is NOT an org, but may be of use to some...no cost to join --no contracts or monthly bills- but you do pay an a'dministrative fee' for each supply of medicine ordered. One may qualify even if receiving medicines through another discount RX drug program. It's available to individuals and families with incomes of up to 250 percent of the federal poverty level. (For a family of 4, this figure is about $50,000/year.)
    -------------------

Like I said, I have no experience with any of these, just thought it may be of interest to many here as so many of us cannot work...

Well, you can guess what I'll be busy with for the rest of the week...

all the best,
    Victoria

[This Message was Edited on 05/23/2006]
  2. meditationlotus

meditationlotus New Member

You can also Google the pharmaceutical company that makes the med and many times info will pop up about enrolling in their "patient assistance programs", and you don't have to pay a fee to service programs who locate the pharmaceutical company for you.

I get all of my meds this way as I have no insurance.

However, a med I desparetly need for orthostatic hypotension - Midodrine- which is around $120.00 per month, generic price, cancelled their "patient assistance program", so I'm trying to find some service to help me with a reduced price.

I will see if any of the above offer anything other than the pharmaceutical "patient assistance programs".

Thanks.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/23/2006]
  3. victoria

victoria New Member

Thanks, that is good to know!

Victoria