Ry Cooder et al

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Rosiebud, Aug 13, 2005.

1. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

what kind of music do you like???

I posted that I just bought a Ry Cooder CD, thought I'd get lots of replies, thought the man was a hero in your part of the world.

Rosie
  2. naturebaby

naturebaby New Member

....also love JJ Cale, Lyle Lovett, John Prine....all those mellow storytellers and musicians. Steve Earle is another fave. I like a mix of music ranging from bluegrass and classic country and blues (ie Patsy, Hank, Woody, Robert Johnson etc) to classic rock. Big Aerosmith fan....gotta love Stephen and Joe!

I didn't think anyone else would remember Ry Cooder. he's a phenomenal musician and has also worked on many movie soundtracks and has done a lot of producing and mentoring. Cool guy!

Cheers, nature
  3. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

yes, I heard Ry Coode on radio (UK) a few days ago and remembered how much I used to like him so ordered CD online.

I love slide guitar and bluesy sounding music.

Rosie
  4. JLH

JLH New Member

I have no idea what type of music this guy plays or sings!!

I prefer listening to the "oldies" - which means music of the 1950's, 1960's, and 1970's. I graduated high school in 1969, so that is the music of "my time"!

I also like country music, soft rock, and lots of other types.

However, I can't stand the new rock, and basically all the new stuff out. Too wild, too vulgar, too loud, can't understand words, etc. (I guess I'm showing my age!!!!!)

Janet
  5. Krista47

Krista47 New Member

I made a CD with all my favorite music from the 70's when I was in high school. I play it in the bathroom after I've showered and have to dry my hair and put on make-up. It makes the process much more enjoyable.

I've played it so much, my 16 year old son has gotten to where he knows the words and enjoys them too.

I'll list some of the songs so you know what I'm talking about and you can tell how old I am:)

In The Summertime
    The Lion Sleeps Tonight
    City of New Orleans
    Drift Away
    Feelin' Stronger Every Day
    Horse With No Name (by America)
    Black Water
    Sweet Home Alabama
    American Woman
    Guitar Man
    Old Man
    Heart Of Gold
    Sister Golden Hair

Lot's more golden oldies. I love them!! But I also love Patsy Cline and a few other categories.

Take Care,
    Kris
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I have HD digital cable for my TV and it includes digital music channels. I have the TV hooked up to my stereo but the digital sound is so good on the TV that it sounds great all by itself. There is a golden oldies channel that I love.

The screen shows the artist and year plus a lot of info on the artist. I love it.

Love, Mikie
  7. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

I saw Ry Cooder many years ago when he opened for Elton John.

But---like many others I like the 'Oldies' sation. I remember years ago my mother listened to one (in the 1950s or so). I used to think: why is she listening to music that is a couple of decades old.
    Now I know.
    NyroFan
  8. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

we get occassional golden oldie's programmes but to have a station dedicated to this kind of music would be brilliant.

Rosie
  9. JLH

JLH New Member

Kris mentioned Patsy Cline. Oh, how I LOVE her music, if I listen to a few of her songs, I have them on my mind for weeks!!

It was so tragic that the world lost her before she had a chance to sing for a few decades.

She's like Elvis ... doesn't matter what she would sing, it was great!!

and I didn't specifically mention Elvis in my previous post, but LOVE him, too! I once told my grandsons that if Elvis had been alive, that I would have married him instead of their Grandpa. They said that they were glad he was dead then! I told them that was not nice to say, and they got me back by saying I would have rather married somebody else other than my husband! They said, besides ... Elvis did DRUGS!!! oh, my, one cute comment to a child and it starts an hour-long conversation!!

Janet