?'s about Lunesta

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sfrazier, Nov 13, 2005.

1. sfrazier

sfrazier New Member

I have seen the ads on tv for Lunesta and they make it seem like it is a sleep aide for a busy mind. I know a lot of you guys are on it or have tried it. I would like to know how it has worked. I have a 16 year old daughter that has been taking over the counter sleep aides but her physcitrist (sp) just prescribed trazadone to help her sleep. I've also read that trazadone is a good drug for Fibro and while she has emotional problems I just don't want her to get addicted to something that in the long run is going to hurt her more then help her. Thanks for all infor and answers. Sue
  2. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I take the Canadian variation of Lunesta. I find it works quite well and I wake up without the usual hangover feeling. I also take pain meds at night, so I imagine that they also assist with my sleeping.

I don't take trazadone but my husband, who has Crohn's does. It seems to work for him.

Some nights I have a tough time getting to sleep but that's usually when my fibro is flaring. I don't believe it has quite the addicting properties as some other pills.

Good luck with your daughter.

Regards,

Eileen
  3. LakeErie

LakeErie New Member

Trazodone is an anti-depressant with a side effect of making someone very tired. Usually within 10-60 minutes the person drops off to sleep. The drug has been around since dirt.

Lunesta is a sleeping pill. Can be used for long tern use. They claim non-additive, but I would bet it could be dependent. Lunesta also has a side effect of pain control, which is why people on this board like it. You take it just as you want to sleep, dropping off in about 10 minutes, only take it when you can sleep 7-9 hours. Lunesta is a new drug in the US, so many prescription plans don't cover it yet.
  4. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I have tried it, and it was not effective for me. It may be for your daughter and they advertise that it isn't addictive and can be used long term. Those statements I have no way of evaluating.

Although I have never taken trazadone, it has been around a very long time and has been very helpful to many people. To stop it, her doctor would gradually decrease the dose.

So, I can't say what's right for her...maybe ask her doctor what he thinks of Lunesta or why he prescribed Trazadone.

Best wishes,
    Sue
  5. ckahele

ckahele New Member

i started taking it about a month and a half ago.
    started with 2mg. didn't do diddley.
    upped to 3mg and i sleep so much better.
    hate the cost though. $50 per month WITH my insurance.

here's my routine:
    about one hour before bed i take the lunesta and a valerian (herbal sleep remedy).
    WHEN/IF I WAKE UP in the middle of the nite. i keep another valerian and some water on my nitestand. i take that and boom...out til morning.

no hangover but i still don't want to get out of bed.
    IT'S TOO COLD!
    cyndy
  6. vp

vp New Member

Not for me.
    Trazadone didn't seem to help me much either, but no bad effects I can remember.

Lunesta left a very nasty metallic taste in my mouth that would not go away no matter what I did and it stirred up my acid reflux somehow. I took 3mg a night for 2 nights with no results. Ended up in a bad flare due to lack of sleep.

I"ve been on 10mg of Ambien for 9 months now, and Ohio medicaid decided it would stop covering it without prior auth. I got some samples of Ambien CR from dr.,but I didn't want to crawl out of bed until late afternoon. Not good either. So I'm left buying my Ambien at $5 a night until medicaid gets their paperwork done.

Anyone else find it strange that Lunesta is covered, and Ambien is not any longer. Especially when Lunesta is so new? The price is almost the same too.

7. Martingray

Martingray New Member

I just received a letter from my health insurance company (BCBS). The letter was to notify me that effective 1 Jan 06, Lunesta would be treated just like Ambien. I can get one 30 day script filled per year unless my doctor calls them and justifies my need for either drug on a continuing basis.
  8. maripat

maripat New Member

Lunesta has been a real blessing for me. Without a reguler daily sleeping pill I well only get 2 -3 hours per night (and not all at once) By the time I was prescribed a sleeping pill I was full blown nutso from lack of sleep.
    I also feel it helps some with the pain.
    good luck
    maripat
  9. halfpint49

halfpint49 New Member

trazadone like a lot of meds, kept me awake for hours after taking them. but lunesta at least for now seems to work for me. sometimes i sleep 6-10 hours some times 5-6. but so far so good
  10. pepper

pepper New Member

Can you tell me the Canadian version of Lunesta? All I am aware of is Imovane which is a grandfather of Lunesta but not quite the same. Has Health Canada approved this "grandchild" of Imovane? I would really like to know since Imovane puts me to sleep but does not keep me asleep and Lunesta supposedly solved that problem.

Thanks for any info.
    Pepper
  11. elsa

elsa New Member

It does well for me ... I can't fall asleep or stay asleep if I don't take it. I have an rx for 1mg as well as 2mgs. Take whichever dose covers the type of day I went through.
    It is non-addictive ... approved for long term use. Like just about all of our drugs there is a chance of physical dependence .... which is totally seperate from psychological addiction.

Trazadone was not good for me. It put me to sleep , but it was poor quality sleep. I also felt like the living dead and totally "numb" to the world. Trazadone also produces physically dependence as do all AD's ... It's imperative that you reduce your dose gradually with the help of a doctor when going off of them.

Good luck with your daughter's sleep problems. Alot of these medications are not the stereotypical "sleeping pill" of days gone by ... Ala the "Stepford Wives". They truly do have good benefit for those who tolerate them well.

Take care,

Elsa
  12. nanna4550

nanna4550 New Member

I agree about the taste, though. It's pretty bad. I used to use Trazadone, but it made it so hard to get up in the morning. Sleep quality wasn't that good either. Lunesta
    keeps me sleeping all night (I can't say that about ambien,ambien cr, or rozerem). Over the counter sleep aides are just benedryl and they don't work for me either.
    Hope this helps.
  13. sfrazier

sfrazier New Member

Just wanted to say thanks for everyones great input. I will be talking to my daughters doctor at her next appointment about all of this and see what she has to say. Once again thank you.