?'s about meds.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Pinky, Jan 9, 2003.

1. Pinky

Pinky New Member

I was diagnosed with FM/CFS almost 3 years ago and have found a wonderful doctor who has helped me get a portion of my life back. I am still having a hard time with energy, nighttime pain and sleeping. This past visit my dr. gave me a B-12 shot for energy and perscribed zanaflex at bedtime. I am currently on Ultram for pain,up to 8 50mg tabs a day,and take Ambien for sleep as well. She also gave me a prescription for Klonopin if the Zanaflex is not helpful. The b-12 shot helped for about 4 days and now I am back to zilch energy, and I slept thru the whole night the first night I took the zanaflex, but now it is back to only sleeping 3-4 hours a night. Should I try the Klonopin- I also am taking ZMA as well as numerous supplements. I am so confused- Sometimes I wonder if I should get off all supple. and meds. but I don't ever want to be in as much pain as I was 3 years ago. What do I continue to take? What do I quit taking? Help! Any suggestions?
  2. Spoonerpaws

Spoonerpaws New Member

I can tell you my experiences -

The Klonopin DID help me sleep, and I don't THINK I have any side effects (don't know whether the fatigue is a side-effect of the drug or DD, BUT I don't like being on it and I am trying to wean myself off of it.

I do notice that if I take it at night, and get up to go to the bathroom, I am very dizzy (and I don't like that)

You might want to see if the ZMA will help you in the long run b4 you start the Klonopin. My opinion is to take the Klonopin only as the last resort (My opinion only)
  3. teach6

teach6 New Member

Since I began taking Klonopin at night to help me sleep I have slept much better. I also take Ultram, Flexeril, Neurontin, and Trazadone at night for sleep and pain. I have not noticed any side effects and feel my best in the mornings.

Barbara
  4. layinglow

layinglow New Member

I take klonopin at nite for sleep, and it has been great! No side effects. It also has helped with neurological pain. I do not awake in the morning feeling groggy or hungover.
    LL
  5. LuvMeCritters

LuvMeCritters New Member

Hi Pinky,

I was (am supposed to be) on Klonopin. It was like a wonder drug for me at first. I slept great and no more RLS. Started w/very lose dose - .25 of 2mg, working my way up to 2mg/day. Then it stopped working after about 6 months. Doc increased dosage to 4mg/day, taking 2mg in quarters thru out the day and then 2mg at night. Still didn't work. No more sleep for me. I even tried going without for a few days to see if I had built up a tolerance, and tried it again with no luck. I was very disappointed, because it worked so well at first. I told my doc on my last visit and he gave me a script for Remeron, but he also told me I'd probably gain 40 lbs. So, that RX is still sitting here unfilled and will remain so.
    I asked my pharmacist and he said that yes you can build up a tolerance to Klonopin. I guess that's what happened. Seeing doc on the 20th, hoping he can help me find something else to work as well as the Klonopin did at first. Good luck to you.

Regina :)
  6. Shirl

Shirl New Member

So sorry you are having all these problems. I lived the same way for more than 20 years. I took one sleeping med after the other. They would work for awhile, then I was right back to my sad Nighthawk self again.

Right now I am doing great with the sleeping. I am taking the Xanax (0.25 milligrams) at 6pm for my 'racing brain' thing.

Then at 10pm I take ZMA

Right before bed, I take a 3 milligram Melatonin.

The Xanax calms me down, the ZMA has me sleeping deeply for 7-8 hours a night, plus it has reduced my pain too.

And the Melatonin has me fall asleep in 30 minutes.

I think it is Mel that takes the Klonopin, then the ZMA and the Melatonin and he is doing wonderful with that.

Its sad that we are all so different, its hard helping one another this way.

This cocktail is the first I ever tired that truly worked. I have not known what 8 hours of sleep was in my entire life. I was always waking up about every hour. I lived like this for all those years.

I sure hope you fine what helps you, as it the one thing that will really work in your favor for getting somekind of life back, and thats deep sleep.

I don't go to bed early, I get to sleep about 12midnight to about 1am, and I get up about 9am. These hours are suitable for me, my choice.

As for the energy, I do take the 'Ultra B-Complex, and the Pro Energy (Malic Acid and Magnesium Glycinate), they also have been great. I am so much better than I was a year and a half ago, when I first came on this board.

I do know what you mean, I would like to take at the least a 'week off' from all supplements and the Xanax! My whole life revolves around what time it is for what pill I am taking! But hay, it beats feeling so bad all the time.

Take care, and I sure hope you get some sleep soon.

Shalom, Shirl