?'s about Steroids & FM

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ckball, Jan 18, 2003.

1. ckball

ckball New Member

I was reading a post about the steroid shots, I have had several over the years and have had no problems. NOw I am concerned because I am taking 10mg of prendisone a day for my RA. I like my Rhemy and he does say I had fibro too. The prendisone also helps with my asthma. He has started me on plaquanil but it will take about 3 months before it starts working. This means I will be on the prendisone for a total of 8 months. How concerned should I be about long term affects?

I also have osteo, no thyroid,DDD, DJD, buldging discs, congenatil spinal stenosis, depression and high blood pressure. My meds are celexa, prilosec, synthyroid, percocet, vicodan, topral,prempro,ambien, remeron, albuterol, servent, plus the plaquanil and predisone.

thanks for any advice, prayers to all. CB
  2. ckball

ckball New Member

Hi Pat, thank you for your reply. How long was your freind on steroids and how long has she had the fibro & RA. I started having RA pain about 10 years ago, then the fibro started after I had chemo 7 years ago and was fianlly dx in Sept 2002. There were days before I started the predisone that I could barley get out of bed, that has improved. I feel better when I take them but I know I can't stay on them forever, what is a person suppose to do?

Anyway, thank you for your support, CB
  3. kyliesmom

kyliesmom New Member

Long term use of steroid studies say that no occurences of serous long term side effects such as bone loss, etc,were reported on daily low dose therapy. 10mgs is a low dose. The lasy study I read was on 5mgs daily for the long term. It's okay to up the dose and decrease gradually for exacerbations of a disease. Hope this helps!