?'s - Moving to Florida & Immunization Shots

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by IndianPrincess, Oct 1, 2005.

1. IndianPrincess

IndianPrincess New Member

Hi Gang!
    Been very busy lately. Still at The Women's Shelter, STILL waiting on my disability, still volunteering at Northeast Ohio Coalition for the Homeless, doing public speaking and education and writing articles for a street newspaper.

Remember I fired Blunder & Blunder Law firm in April prior to my last denial by SS? I received a letter from B&B dated September 12 acknowledging receipt of the April letter! HA! See why I fired them?

Anyway, lots going on. Met a wonderful man who understands my FM and CFS - he loves me, takes wonderful care of me! He is also homeless BUT he keeps working odd jobs. He is a journeyman carpenter and with the lack of construction here in Cleveland he lost everything. We are moving to Florida this month where a $32 an hour job is waiting him.

Gary is truly my soulmate. Our paths have crossed many times over the past 30 years (we lived and/or worked in the same cities and didn't meet until now). In 1978, I lived in an apartment complex he helped construct in Canfield, Ohio. We both had to become homeless to finally meet.

Anyway, two things are needed if anyone can help me.

First - We are moving to West Palm Beach so I need to get in touch with doctors there.

Secondly - Gary will be working construction in hurricane rebuilding all over Florida especially in Louisiana. I will be traveling with him and was wondering about immunizations and the effects on people with FM and CFS.

I appreciate all of you for your help and friendships!!

Hugs!
    Cindy
  2. achy

achy New Member

I'm in Florida and I can warn you about two things....

There a VERY few places for rent with all the hurricanes...I hope you have someplace lined up.

As far as immunizations, Tetinus, Hept. C, and Lots of Bug repellant!! The skeeters here will not only carry you off, but give you West Nile Virus.

Fm here is like FM everywhere else. If one thing, like heat, don't get ya - the low pressure from the storms will.
    Just watch that heat....It will getcha.

Good luck
    achy
  3. IndianPrincess

I realized I've been gone for such a long time. Thought it was about time I checked in and of course, with several questions.

Gary does construction and the jobs are in the south with the rebuilding going on.

I'm researching what immunizations are needed in case he needs to go to Louisiana as a "road warrior". We both know we will need them.

I'll try to get online more often. Have plenty to do and lots to sell. So if anyone comes on line from Cuyahoga, Medina, Summit or Loraine counties and needs a nice Thanks again, Gigi!

Hugs,
    Cindy
  4. IndianPrincess

Sorry to say that Florida doesn't turn me on. It's quite humid in Ohio and I can't handle the heat. I like the four seasons here but moving means work for Gary and we've checked with the Chambers of Commerce in various cities.

I know that many companies are turning down jobs because Florida lacks construction manpower. Been online to help my "partner".

Gary has a buddy in West Palm Beach and Ozzie has jobs lined up for them. All we need is the airfare to get there.

Thanks for the insight.

Hugs,
    Cindy

5. Megumi

Megumi New Member

I left the Florida Panhandle a couple of years ago to follow my daughter who had moved to Indiana. I would LOVE to go back, think about it every winter. I keep thinking the St Pete/Tampa area. Ah well, someday.

Anyway, in the meantime about your question about immunizations...I volunteer for the Red Cross and they are highly recommending that any of us that go down to the hurricane zone get tetanus and hep A and C shots before going. Also, BE CAREFUL with the mold problems. Florida has them anyway but since the hurricanes many buildings were rebuilt simply covering up the problem. I went down after Dennis in June, stayed in a motel that was supposedly undamaged in Ivan but started getting sick the 3rd day there. I just happen to know some environmental people there and had them come test the room - yep, she was toxic. Turned out the room hadn't been "damaged" only heavily leaked on and the inside of the walls permeated!!

Again, good luck in Florida, despite the housing problem it is a wonderful place.

Megumi
  6. IndianPrincess

Hi!
    Thank you so very much for the advice especially about the mold.

Having a man who does construction hopefully will help in avoiding and/or eliminating that problem. He understands fibro and CFS and knows how my system could be compromised.

I believe mold exposure was responsible for the CFS, if not, then Epstein-Barr while I lived in Michigan for 4 years. I was barely functioning up there for over 6 months.

Where are you in Indiana? I have many good friends in South Bend and Mishawaka!

Hugs!
    Cindy