S.S.D hearing and no lawyer! HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by scoop, Jun 20, 2003.

1. scoop

scoop New Member

Hi everyone!

Has anyone ever had a hearing and represented themselves?! I have a hearing on July 17th and the lawyer who was going to take my case isn't returning my phone calls and getting back in touch with me.

I am so stressed! Even if i can find a lawyer now its only three weeks away. I called the office and they said show up and tell the judge you don't have a lawyer to represent you at this time. I do have a rheumotologist stating on paper i am disabled but i don't know if i should have him and another doctor testify or if its too late since its three weeks away.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I am very young so i know that is not in my favor.

I am at my wits ends. I miss being on the board more. I have been sent for more tests. Have had 5 MRI's in the last month, 17 viles of blood out of me which i will never understand when my doc. that ordered it said it should have been more like 7! Have had doctor apts. every day out of the week for the last months and more tests.Somedays more than one apt. Saw an orthopedic who was such a jerk. Bent my finger back to show me how hypermobile my joints are. I thought he broke it! Gave me a cortisone shot for my shoulder which made it worse, which is odd because years ago one helped me! I wonder if he even got the right spot! I was in physical therapy but didn't realize the weights were 5 lbs which was way too much for me at 105 1bs with no arm muscles! Now i have added problems!

It sure helps to have a place to go for support. Seven years of this i guess it is all catching up with me and i needed to vent!

Take care and thanks for the help
    Scoop
    [This Message was Edited on 06/21/2003]
  2. Achy-shaky

Achy-shaky New Member

Have you called him? He specializes in FM/CFS and has a great reputation. Even if 3 weeks isn't enough time for him to prepare, I'm sure he could tell you what to do.
    See post on "Has anyone hired Scott Davis" for his number.

Good luck!
  3. tulip922s

tulip922s New Member

I'm so sorry to hear that you are going through so much Scoop. I just got my SSD approval and I credit my lawyer 100% for the job he did in getting a favorable decision.

I wish I had a good answer for you, but, at the very least I hope my response bumps your post for others to reply.

I think if I were in your boat,,,,I'd wouldn't call the lawyer,,,I'd go right down to the office (that is if you are well enough to do that) and let him know of your concerns and just talk it over. Keep a check on you anger but let him know you have tried calling and haven't received a response. (A little bit of sugar can go a long ways. I always say don't get someone who is servicing you mad at you until you have what you are paying for).

Another option maybe to pull out the phone book and call Legal Aid (most cities and towns have them) and them your predicament. They are there to point you in the right direction.

And of course, there's always the option of finding a lawyer,,,,last minute or not,,,,think of it,,,they wouldn't really have to work too hard and still get a doosie of a payoff if you win.

Best of luck to you Scoop and PLEASE keep us posted on this. Tulip
  4. teach6

teach6 New Member

I would suggest that you take all the recent medical tests you have had with you. They will provide good evidence for your claim.

I also agree that trying to go to your attorney's office to find out what is going on is a good one. First though I would call and explain your problem to whoever answers the phone. Ask them if there has been some unforeseen problem that has prevented your attorney from getting back to you. If they do not give you a satisfactory answer then would be the time to show iup in the office and wait.

If this doesn't work then I would also call other attorneys. Do you have a signed agreement with this attorney? If so I would ask that you be released from it if he does not intend to provide any more assistance. Otherwise he will get paid by SS out of your award for doing nothing.

You might even try calling the SS office and explaining what is going on and find out if they have any suggestions. You have nothing to lose by doing that.

Good luck to you.

Barbara
    [This Message was Edited on 06/22/2003]
  5. scoop

scoop New Member

Thanks Barbara and Dale and thanks again Tulip and achy-shaky!

Since it is three weeks away do you think it is too late to write a letter to the Judge Dale? It is a great idea. If not it is good to know i don't need a lawyer if i can't find one in this short notice. Really i have had it with lawyers between dealing with them for this and four auto accidents, which has been dragged out since 1996 and i still haven't received a dime! I would rather never see a lawyer agian if i didn't need too!!

I'll keep you all updated on what happens. Thank you all for your support.

Hugs,
    Scoop
  6. Dara

Dara New Member

of the ALJ. My attorney, at my request, just wrote them a letter asking them to consider my case with the current medical records. About 2 to 3 weeks later I received my favorable decision. Also, i agree with the other posts, I wouldn't pay your attorney a cent. You can go to your hearing without an attorney. I know someone else on this board did because I remember reading the post. good luck..

Dara