Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by nah.stacey, Oct 15, 2009.

1. nah.stacey

nah.stacey Member

As any of you know who have read my posts you know that "CFS/FM caused by depression" is one of my biggest pet peeves. I don't believe depression is the cause of this DD.

Anywho, a friend of mines mother was recently diagnosed with CFS/FM and was having a hard time getting her husband on board, he kept telling her to "just get up and she would feel better".
    He couldn't reconcile the fact that she really was sick. Well her Dr. put her on anti-depressants, because, Hey that is what they do for this!. Anyway, she would tell her daughter that she wasn't depressed and didn't want to take them, she was just sick and very tired. Well they all forced the issue, especially her husband who was now convinced it WAS depression because the DR. said so.
    She started to have anxiety and became suicidal after taking the anti-depressants and swallowed a bottle of aspirin, so they put her in the physch ward at the hospital and increased her meds. She ended up slitting her wrists because they weren't listening and were going to send her home, and due to her blood being so thin from the aspirin she bled to death.

She hadn't had this DD for very long just long enough for them to screw her up with anti-depr.

Oh when will they listen and treat us for the right things not what Dr. Reeves said it is. What does he know, does he have this?

Please God, let this conference be beneficial to those of us who are screaming for help.
  2. RunningAntelope

RunningAntelope New Member

Has Dr. Reeves ever been willing to be injected with the blood of someone very sick with proof an active infection, because me thinks that maybe, just maybe that could change the nature of his thoughts on the matter. Why wouldn't he be willing to make such a sacrifice and be a guinea pig if he's SO solid in his conviction?
  3. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I am so fried rt now I can't even find the words to effectively reply to this, but I have to try to say is so incredibly sad, and I am so sorry for you friend whose loss is yet another indirect Reeves and co heart and my prayers go out to everyone who has been impacted by your friend's mom's suicide
  4. nah.stacey

nah.stacey Member

How many more of us will be lost to the wrong diagnosis of this DD before the CDC gets a clue.

For every horror stroy we tell, me MUST send it in with back up and charges. They are killing us by there sheer "Superior Knowledge". Our greatest hope is to get a Dr. in there who actually suffers with this DD and have him make the definitions, criteria and where the further funding will go.No one knows better than an old sufferer.

We should have a conference of Dr.'s who usually treat us, invite them to a conference. Unwittinly infect them with a flu virus, and before it hit's have and olympic type marathon where they have to run around the trach 5 times, up the stadium steps and down again 5 times then come in fix breakfast, get the kids off to shcool, shower themselves, All the while this flu virus is kicking in and they are starting to feel worse and worse, then they have to go to a gruelling 8 hr job (something stressful) come home pick up the kids, cook dinner, read to the kids, put them to bed. And even when there flu symptoms start to show up they have to keep going, and going, and going. Think they might get it then?

Then let them know this is what our life is like 10 fold everyday. Think they might be kinder then?
  5. nah.stacey

nah.stacey Member

Classic misdiagnosis or CFS/FM now she is gone. They killed her.
  6. nah.stacey

nah.stacey Member

Classic misdiagnosis or CFS/FM now she is gone. They killed her.
  7. wendysj

wendysj New Member

I am so saddened by these stories. God knows I'm spent my time praying to God to just take me home... I really didn't think I could make it at times.

Depression comes with having your life taken from you. I had great support from family and friends and beat the depression. It is still one of the scariest things I can think of... depression.

I'm very sorry for your friend and her family. I hope you will have the strength to be there for her in her time of need.

Best regards,
  8. nah.stacey

nah.stacey Member

Please don't let this story go by, if just one more person is saved by not misdiagnosing this DD it will be worth it.
  9. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

nah.stacey, I am very sorry to hear your mother's friend died in such a horrible way when it was most likely preventable. That is such an outrage!

I do think there are doctors with CFS. Of course there are! Whenever I've come across comments from them they've said that they couldn't believe how their peers and the rest of the medical community turned against them and treated them like crap when they found out they had CFS.

This is why we need big changes at the top medical institutions like the NIH and the CDC in this country and the top institutions of the UK. I think that would make a big difference.

May your mother's friend rest in peace.

10. JLH

JLH New Member

Yes, this is truly a sad story.

My husband has never believed in fibro or cfs either. I have had both for many years as well as many major health problems. He believes in my other health problems such as those regarding my heart, my diabetes, back issues, etc., though.

I don't let my husband's opinion of my health problems, or anything else, affect what I do. I am a very independent person.

Taking antidepressants is standard therapy for fibro. Using antidepressants can cause suicidal tendencies in some, as the warnings state; however, most people who commit suicide when on them were in that state of mind BEFORE they started on antidepressant therapy. My brother is a psychologist and has done much research on this as well as had patients in his practice like this as proof. I do not know the lady and, therefore, am not saying that she was unstable and had anxiety issues before, I am just making a statement.

It's a real shame that the hospital personnel in that psych ward did not see that she was not in any mental state to be dismissed and therefore she felt she was forced to take such measures to stay in the hospital.

I believe a lot of these problems are from the insurance companies wanting to shove people out of the hospital before they are ready. So, it may not have been the doctor saying she was ready to go home .... maybe just that there was nothing more that they could do for her in the hospital and were wanting to send her home to continue with out-patient therapy. Even if this were the case, the doctor missed that she should have been held as an inpatient and he should fight with the insurance to keep her.

I remember way back when, when I was first diagnosed with FMS, I was started off with Elavil, an old antidepressant, given to me to help me sleep. It worked, but worked too well, and made me too sleepy to get up at 4:30 am to get ready for work! In fact, now that I am retired and I can sleep in as long as I desire, I am thinking about asking my doctor about going back on it. I just hate to give up my Cymbalta, because it also helps my diabetic neuropathy.

Again, I am sorry for your friend's loss.