Sacro Joint Injection

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mrsfie, Aug 3, 2006.

1. mrsfie

mrsfie New Member

Tried a new rheumy yesterday and I felt he gave me a very thorough exam (1-1/2 hours). At the end he diagnosed me with diffuse (all over) myofascial pain syndrome. Wants me to increase my elavil to 40 mg at night instead of 20 and take 800 mg Skelaxin 3 times a day.

The pain predominantly at the moment is in my buttocks, thighs and calves. My previous doctor had given me a sacro joint injection that really helped. Previous doctor (a phsyiatrist)had done it under xray to make sure to hit the joints as well as told me to ice it when I got home and take it easy the rest of the day. This new doctor (probably mid-60's) just told me to lean over the table and jammed the shot in. No precautions after. The pain has lessened however it was real scarey to me the method he used. Do you think after 34 years practice this new doctor could practically do it blindfolded??????? Has anyone else had this procedure?????

I've been working on a dx for 6 years and he's been the first to commit.

Sharon in St. Louis
  2. artseyone

artseyone New Member

I've had injections in my SI joint also several times.
    Did you get steriod shots, if not, what kind I'm interested in knowing...
    Artseyone
  3. mrsfie

mrsfie New Member

My previous doctor gave me a cortisteroid. I couldn't find what this doctor injected on my receipts. It is in transcription so the dr's office will call me tomorrow to let me know. I'll post it when I find out.

Sharon in St. Louis
  4. bre_ann

bre_ann New Member

so don't know if it's the same or not but my rheumy numbs my hip with some sort of cold spray first, then does the injection.
  5. HuffyMcT

HuffyMcT New Member

My Doctor only does it under a fluroscopic light so he can make sure he gets the fluid into the sacroiliac joint. The joints are so small that he has to guide the needle into it. First he gives me a shot of lidocaine to numb it a bit and then does the injection. Also he has me sit in a recovery area for a bit to make sure I am okay. I have only had to have it done twice last August and then this January----it has definitely helped me.