Sad Day for Horse Lovers

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by shar6710, Jan 29, 2007.

1. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

Barbaro was finally put down today after a eight month struggle with his broken leg and laminitis.

I have been following his fight since watching him break down in the Preakness. By all accounts he was a very special horse.

2. mezombie

mezombie Member

Oh Shar, that is so sad! He really was a very special horse and it was heart-breaking to watch his fall in the Preakness. I kept hoping he would recover enough to at least sire some offspring, but I guess that was not meant to be.

I love horses, too, but where I live keeping a horse around is terribly expensive. Keeping me around is pretty expensive, LOL!

I keep my interest alive by following the big races.

Did you read Seabiscuit?

By the way, I love your picture. You are a very talented photographer! Is there any chance we'll see another horse photo of yours?
  3. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

Yes I did read it and loved it. My DH bought me a collage of 3 Seabiscuit photos for a present several years ago.

Funny you asked about my photography. I don't take many pictures anymore but just today I made a promise to myself to take some of the horses in the snow. My Icelandic is never happier than when it is cold and snowy out.

I will be happy to post some-after I tinker with them first of course.

Glad to see you posting a little more lately.

4. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

I'm a major horse lover and rode horses as a youngster. I shed a few tears as they showed Barbaro's story on the national news today.....

Seabiscuit is a great movie. Horses have such a wonderful "spirit" about them...they are elegant yet very sweet. I love them!

Warm hugs, Erika
  5. atiledsner

atiledsner New Member

I too was saddened by that loss of a beautiful animal.I hate to see one suffer.I was watching the race that day too.

I love to see what the ladies wear,especially the hats.I love all animals and vintage apparel.
  6. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

I was wondering what happened to him. That is sad, he was a gallant horse.

I have mixed feelings about racing. I love to watch them run, it's so exciting.

But, i think they race them too early, they should have a chane to mature. I believe in the earlier days of racing the horses had to be older, and the races were longer.

Seabiscut, Man-O-War, Eclipse, alot of good stories of race horses with alot of heart.
  7. mary124

mary124 New Member

I was watching the news last night when they started to mention but I fell asleep. I did wake up around 3a.m. to go to the bathroom and couldn't go back to sleep so I turned on the TV and watched the news. It was really sad, I did watch that race. But at least he is out of pain now.
  8. palogirl

palogirl New Member

I too am a horse lover. After hearing that yesterday, I went outside and gave my horses a hug and spent extra time with them. Horses are dear to my heart. They are girls best friend. He was indeed a special horse.

9. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I am not a big racing fan as I love the horses so much and have seen so much over riding and cruel practices in the past. That was a lovely horse. Annie