sad lamps

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sixtyslady, Oct 21, 2006.

1. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

does anyone know about sad lamps, i could use some help with this,I"ve looked on the net but would like to hear from someone who has one and if it helps.
    thanks so much, i would like to get one, if you get a pres,from a doctor will ins help pay. thanks sixtyslady.
  2. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

Just turned mine off actually. I have one, and yes, it helps a great deal. I have severe SAD every year, but I think it would help lots of people w/ FM/CFS too, because if used for shorter periods than you'd use for depression, like I just used it for now, it can turn off daytime melotonin. Most of us have a huge problem w/ being dog tired in the day, but wide awake when its time for bed.

Jeanne
  3. homesheba

homesheba New Member

i have never heard of them and i am up alot all night at times, thank you.:p
  4. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

5. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

thanks for your response,my daughter and I both feel we need one ,there pretty price,y and I was Just wondering what kind most people use,the lamps,or the box type.

thanks sixtyslady
  6. Jeanne-in-Canada

I ordered a full spectrum desk lamp. It has the max strength of a light box, but is cheaper and much more portable and discreet.

I paid around $200 and that was w/ shipping to Canada from Michigan. I bought from Full Spectrum Solutions, which you can google, because sad lamps in Canada are much more expensive.

jeanne
  7. wish_to_be_healthy

wish_to_be_healthy New Member

I think that I will be getting one...I have SAD here in MN.

When I lived out in So Cal, the SAD went away!

Unfortunately, I had other stressors that made me depressed in other ways...Was hard to make new friends with the disease, and people not understanding, because I looked so "normal" and could do things one day, and not the next.

Jean, sounds like you have a good one, for a good price...definitely a good thing for the dark days of this half of the year!

Hope it helps you, sixtyslady,

Suz
  8. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Hi Sixtyslady. I've been using SAD lights for the past ten years and find them to be extremely helpful. I've used both the desk lamp and the lightbox (travel size) and I much prefer the lightbox. They're expensive but worth the investment in my opinion.

God bless,
    Anne Theresa
  9. Jeanne-in-Canada

I'm curious why you prefer a lightbox to a lamp? I've only used the lamp, which helps so much, but have no point of comparison.

I'm also wondering if anyone has tried a bodyclock, aka a dawn simulator. It is an alarm clock w/ a lamp that slowly turns on in the morning, simulating a sunrise. I'm thinking of getting one, but they are pricey.

Jeanne
  10. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Hi:

I have heard that they work very well. My mom has SAD, as well as bi-polar. It helps her. I know that Joanne's is having a sale on their OTT lights. I think that they are 50% off. You might want to check out their on-line ordering.

Good luck.

Ingrid
  11. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

I think I"ll try the lamp.ihope I can save and get my daughter one too.
    she has 5 kids and she needs help to get through the winter. shes the one that needs her gallbladder removed.shes cold all the time I wish they would check her thyroid out. I"ll let you know if I find a lamp.

sixtyslady