sad news/ get regular tests done

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by erinwilburn, Aug 14, 2008.

1. erinwilburn

erinwilburn New Member

to day I got very hard news from a life long friend. Her mother who has had FM for 20 years was just dx with cancer. For 3 months she has had increased pain in her abdoman and every time she went to the Dr he told her it was her IBS and she just needed to cleanse. Finally she convinced him to do tests and she has a mass going from her stomach to her spine.

The scary thing is that at this point they have no idea how long it has been causing pain and been growing. the area is where many of us have our worst pain. She just thought it was a flare.

Many Drs refer to FM as a blanket dx and it seems like the same goes for our IBS and related problems. Just one more reminder that we have to be our own advocates and that we have to follow our hearts when we feel something is wrong.

Please keep Connie in your prayers, she has a long road ahead.

Thanks,

Erin
  2. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

really sorry about your friend's Mum, I hope she recovers.

This is what we're up against - often doctors won't take other pains seriously because they put everything down to our DDs.

It shows we have to persist if we think something else is wrong

Rosie
  3. Honora88

Honora88 Member

I'm so sorry to hear that.

May I offer some help? There is an energy healing called Tong ren that many cancer patients use and it is free. There are even calls just for cancer patients.

www.gb13.net
  4. SpecialK82

SpecialK82 New Member

Thanks for the reminder - it is maddening to get new symptoms and I don't even know myself if it's related to this DD half of the time.

So sorry for you friend and her Mom, will keep her in my prayers.

Kristina
  5. lrning2cope

lrning2cope New Member

Your friend and her mom will be in my prayers. I am so sorry to hear this sad news. It truly is a heads up to take care of all of the regular tests for people of my age ( almost 50) For people of all ages with fibro. for that matter. The doctor just gave me a test for occult blood in the stool . I guess I will stop putting it off and just do it. Thank you for telling us about your friends' mom .

Holly
  6. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

sometimes I think I have undetected bone cancer when my pain gets really bad....
  7. Esperanza25

Esperanza25 New Member

a few members of my maternal family to cancer. And in 2 of the cases doctors just told them that it was nothing. For instance, my aunt who was 62 years old when to the doctor several times because of pain in her stomach, well the doctor told her to take mylanta and would help, it didn't. So she went back the pain had worsen at this time and this doctor decided to do some tests and found that she had cancer in her liver, so the doctor told my aunt she had 6 months to live. However, my aunt passed away within 2 months. Second, it was my uncle (70) who had chest pain and they kept on tell him that it was his heart and would give him medication for his heart. However, after about 7 years he had this excruciating pain on his left side and he was told it was a heart attack...but then they did more tests and found a tumor below his heart and he passed away within 3 months. A couple of weeks ago a cousin from my mother side died from leukemia...but didn't know about it until it was too late, this cousin was 36 years old.

So when I go to the doctors I don't let them tell me that is nothing because I give them the examples and history of my mother's family and they don't argue with me.
  8. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I've heard of it before, though. Often times, they just keep telling us that every symptom must be part of our illness. They forget that it could be something else.