safe From The Storm

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Just a quick note to let y'all know that the storm came ashore south of us here. All we got, and are still gettting, is rain from the outer bands. My condo is full of furniture from the lanai. It's too hot and humid to go out and clean everything.

I decided to come to the library to get some books and DVD's and use their wi-fi. My laptop seems to work more slowly here than at home. I need to dig out my manual and make the keyboard more sensitive.

I'm reading books I might not otherwise read, so there is a good tradeoff, besides saving on my cable bill. My HDTV is getting a great picture on just the digital signal but I sometimes miss the TiVo. Still, little sacrifices are good for the soul.

You are all ever in my prayers, especially those of y'all in Fay's path. Tornados and flooding are the biggest problems. Take care, my friends.

Love, Mikie
  2. jole

jole Member

Mikie, so good to hear you are out of harm's way!

I've been watching the storm on the news, and have a sister that lives in West Palm Beach who's on her way back. Not sure if it will affect her flight or not....

There seems to be sooo much destruction everywhere lately, and with our country in the financial ruin it's in, it is especially sad to see the outcomes of storms/disasters anymore.

Praying that everyone is safe with no loss of lives...things can be replaced or lives can be simplified, but loved ones are another story....

3. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Hi Mikie,

I am SO GLAD you are safe and out of harm's way. Fay is really powerful.

You might remember that we were in Orlando Aug 9 to 16. There were some storms the last few days in the afternoon. Much of the family complained about the lack of sunshine, but frankly, I was quite happy because it made the temps more tolerable. ;-)

Stay safe, and try not to worry about cleaning your condo. Enjoy the books! That sound like a very relaxing way to ride the storm out. Feel good, and my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Love, Erika
  4. victoria

victoria New Member

glad you're safe & sound... so far it's been a rather quiet season thankfully, and I hope it stays that way (ie, only tropical storms).

Altho I guess most of the SE needs the rain somehow/way... which usually means hurricanes, as at least by the time they work their way inland they're usually just heavy tropical storms at that point. Doesn't seem like the tropical storms maintain their 'gusto' to get that far. I guess there's no way to come out on top for everyone?

BUt you do get the wonderful winters to balance it all....

take care,

5. gapsych

gapsych New Member

If I missed this, I apologize.

How did your sonogram go?

Glad you are safe and sound.

6. findmind

findmind New Member

So happpy to hear from you!

Relieved you did not get hammered by Fay too badly. Glad you were able to get to the library and stock up on reading materials...they are my life's blood.

I have many friends in FLorida: Naples (they were hit with bad flooding); then just a little NE of Tampa (they are ok, too; and The Villages south of Orlando, and they had only minor floods, no damages, and streets are clear today.

Take good care of you; glad you are adjusting to your new "lifestyle" and are finding new ways to enjoy your ife.

Keep in touch....
  7. ABLUV

ABLUV New Member

What books are you reading?
  8. findmind

findmind New Member

Sure hope Gustav stays away from you!

Just read a book that is one of the best I've ever read: "The Air Between Us" (can't remember author!). It starts out slowly and seem to not have a definitive plot, but it just gets better and better, and the ending is magnificent.

9. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Glad to hear that you are safe from the storm. Now it is headed into the Gulf towards us (more towards New Orleans, I believe. Just what they don't need. You all in Fl. have had more than their share also.

Hope it won't cause to much damage, injury and or loss of life as it heads this way.

Glad that you were spared though.

God bless !

10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I feel so bad for all those who did get hit by the storm. I'm glad so many got out of harm's way this time but there is a lot of wind damage. My prayers go out to them.

I went to the library this morning and they were working on their system. The wi-fi was going off and on. I made a post for the other board and lost the whole thing. When I got home, I called Comcast and they offered to hook me back up for $19.99 a month for the first six months. I couldn't resist. I don't HAVE to have my internet connection at home but it's the one thing I'm having a hard time doing without. So, at least for the next six months, I'll be back online.

I'll still go to the library as I love it. I read Ken Follet's "World Without End." He wrote "Pillars Of The Earth" about those who built the cathedrals in Europe in the Middle Ages. He never expected anyone to read about such dry material but he is such a good author that the first book became a best seller. He decided to write another and it's been a best seller too. I've read many of his books over the years. He seems to have a deep understanding of women's issues and speaks to both men and women in his books.

I'm just finishing up reading "The Nine," about the Supreme Court Justices. It's written from a Liberal slant but is very eye opening about a group which has been so closed to scrutiny for so long.

I never had the chance, even with TiVo, to watch "24." I've been watching the seasons on DVD from the library. Only problem is that they are wildly popular and I may have to put a hold on them.

I hope y'all have all been well. I've missed you. Thanks for all the good wishes. There are three more storms heading in various paths, so I keep everyone in my prayers too.

Love, Mikie
  11. DrMomknows

DrMomknows New Member

Great to hear you are ok! I was following the storm on the news and it just looks so terrible, but at least most people got out of harms way in time! Keep us posted!
  12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

That the evacuees are now complaining about having to leave, the food at the shelters, etc. The worry is that next time, they won't want to evacuate. They just don't seem to get it that it's better to leave and not have to than to stay and be in a situation like Katrina. No one can predict exactly what these storms will do. All we can do is take our best shot.

Now, there are three more storms in a row. Looks as though Hannah will go up the East Coast and hit somewhere in northern FL or GA. The Carolinas could get hit too. Those East Coast storms along the Atlantic usually are severe.

I'll be glad to see the hurricane season end.

Thanks again, everyone for your kindness.

Love, Mikie