SALICYLATES CAN BLOCK GUAIFENESIN

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by 123sandra, Sep 2, 2005.

1. 123sandra

123sandra New Member

Just been trying to find answer for fingernail post I have out and thought the info was in a book I have.
    The book is called 'The Fibromyalgia Relief Handbook' It's by a Chet Cunningham.
    For anyone considering taking/are taking Guai PLEASE read on.

Salicylates can block Guai.
    Salicylates can easily be be absorbedthrough the skin and are foundin many cosmetics.
    Here's the list to AVOID in the book(Page 39)
    Asprin...Ginko-biloba...Dong Kwai...Preperation H... St. Johns Wort...Vicks cough syrup...Aloe Vera Gel...Milk of Magnesia...Vicks Vapour Rub Cream...Alka Seltzer...Anacin...Ben Gay...Bufferin...Pepto Bismol... Clearasil...Coppertone Sunblock...Listerex Scrub Lotion... Stridex Scrub Pads!!!!!!!And it says that's just a sample!!
    If you take Guai read every lable to see if the product contains Salicylates. Throw them away and don't buy any more!! It can be a monumental problem.
    Books words not mine!!I do know that SOME HERBAL remedies can seriously affect drugs you take. Please tell chemist if you are taking anything HERBAL.(My words)
    Hope this tad of info helps some of you out there.
    LOL Sandra
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

"What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Fibromyalgia," Dr. St. Amand lists 1,000 common sals in many of the products we use and which can block the Guai.

Anyone considering the Guai treatment needs to buy the book, read it, understand the protocol, and be sal free before starting the Guai.

Love, Mikie
  3. 123sandra

123sandra New Member

Dr Armand is the one quoting in that book!!!!
    My mum bought it me but read it herself before she gave it to me so that she could get a better understanding of the DD.
    I DIDN'T read it all because it kept going on about depression. That may seem funny to you but I know depression doesn't affect my illness, my illness affects the depression!! I am on clinical trials over here in England and am using the Guai. I was just given it and told how to take it. I will have another look at the book tomorrow and read some more about the Guai.
    Thanks for reply
    LOL>>>>Sandra
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Go to www.guaidoc.com and you can read about the Guai. If patients are just given the Guai without eliminating the sals and finding just the right dose, the treatment will likely fail.

There are many docs who do not understand this protocol. They just give their patients the Guai and tell them to take it. It is usually a waste of time and money unless the protocol is followed.

Best of luck to you.

Love, Mikie
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Love, Mikie
  6. 123sandra

123sandra New Member

Thanks for that.
    I don't know what you do for a living(only been on site 6 days)but you do seem quite knowledgeable!!
    Love reading your responses and I don't know what a moderator is but you must have been good because so many people are going to miss you.
    Good Luck with whatever you're doing.
    LOL Sandra
  7. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

Both the US & UK Guai group web sites have long lists of toiletries that are sal safe.

Mint, especially in dental products will also block, as will razors with moisturising strips. Gardening, housework & washing up should be done with gloves on.

It's important to follow Dr St Amand's book.
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad you saw this. There are a number of us here who can answer questions or steer you to the right place.

I've been on the Guai four years and it has been a God send for me.

Best of luck.

Love, Mikie
  9. 123sandra

123sandra New Member

Both of you,
    Do you know what, I WISH the med prof would put things in plain english then numbtys like me can understand everything!!
    I find it hard enough trying to remember things as it is without the mumbo jumbo they come out with.
    At least her I can ask what things mean and don't feel stupid for asking.
    Thank you both again
    LOL
    Sandra
    PS Having a really hard day concentrating today. Hope you understand what I've wrote!!

10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

My Fibro Fog was so bad, I had to read the book three times in places. The good news is that the Guai almost immediately fixed the Fog. Good luck. Just take your time with it.

Love, Mikie
  11. brazilhead

brazilhead New Member

I´m still a bit confused about salicylate-free products. For example, Dr. St. Amand doesn´t really talk about nail polish, but they inevitably have contact with skin. Can anyone recommend some?

And what about toothpastes and dental flosses that sound OK but then say "aroma" or "flavors" even when it´s a children´s strawberry toothpaste?
  12. lbok

lbok New Member

Is that the main ingredient in aspirin? I was wondering because what if someone was allergic to aspirin but not aware of all the products with this stuff in it. I am not allergic to it, but have been hesitant to try any aspirin because I haven't had it since I was a child (the little orange chewables). I am now wondering if it has been in so many things than if someone was sensitive to it should have shown up by exposure to these other products?
  13. jaltair

jaltair New Member

I have thought about and may go on the Guai protocol. I have read about the protocol online and have a list of things to avoid saved. Nail polish isn't on the list, and it's a long. You might want to check the ingredients label on your favorite polish to be safe, and I'll post the chemicals to watch out for so you can compare with what's on the label. I think nail polish should be safe as far as salicylates, if not, it would have shown up during my research. Here is a list of chemicals along with things other than "food" to check for, hope this helps:

Breath savers
    Bubble baths
    Cosmetics
    Fragrances and perfumes
    Gums - mint flavored
    Hair shampoos, conditioners, or sprays
    Herbal remedies
    Lipsticks
    Lotions
    Lozenges
    Medications
    Mouth washes
    Muscle pain creams
    Pain medications
    Razors with aloe strips adjacent to the cutting edge
    Shaving creams
    Skin cleansers or exfoliants
    Sun screens or tanning lotions
    Supplements derived from rose hips or bioflavonoids
    Topical creams
    Toothpastes
    Wart or callus removers
    Aspirin
    Acetylsalicylic acid
    Benzoates (preservatives)
    Benzyl salicylate
    Beta-hydoxy acid
    Choline salicylate
    Disalcid
    Ethyl salicylate
    Isoamyl salicylate
    Magnesium salicylate
    Menthol
    Methyl salicylate
    Mint not usually a problem
    Octylsalicylate
    Oil of Wintergreen
    Peppermint not usually a problem
    Phenylethyl salicylate
    Salicylate
    Salicylic acid
    Salicylaldehyde
    Salicylamide
    Salsalate
    Sodium salicylate

I found a site that sells products without salicylates, I'll spell out the link for you . .

www dot andrearose dot com

I hope this will help.
  14. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

Nail polish is O.K. if you can apply it so that it doesn't touch the skin - I can't. If not, use one of the salicylate safe ones on your Guai group toiletries list. the lists save you having to read every ingredient. A variety of different brand toiletries, make up & dental products that have been made especially for people on the Gaui protocol are sold on the Marina del Ray pharmacy website. Dental products are also sold in the store here, as are recommended brands of Guai (N.B. they don't all work!!!!!!!) & their sale supports charity.
  15. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Unless you buy from a place like Andrea Rose where all the products are sal free, you still have to read lables. The sal-free lists on the websties aren't updated often and manufacturers change their ingredients all the time. I even found one brand of oatmeal soap on the shelves which was supposed to be OK. Some on the shelf contained sals and some did not. The labels were identical otherwise.

Generally speaking, the cheaper the product, the less chance of its containing sals. If a cheap product has "flavors" or "fragrance" on the label, it likely doesn't contain botanicals, but you can't be absolutely sure. Mint is cheap and a lot of products contain it. It is probably the worst for blocking the Guai.

Love, Mikie
  16. brazilhead

brazilhead New Member

Jaltair, Smiffy and Mikie, thank you very much for the excellent info! Unfortunately, I live in Brazil and I can´t get all my wife´s products sent down here for the cost, so reading labels has become a way of life. We´re creating quite a spectacle in the pharmacies and supermarkets! Our location has also made it impossible to find a guaifenesin-knowledgable physician...

So, I know medicinal teas are out, but how to determine that fine line? Tonight my wife asked me about apple tea (I believe from the leaves); it´s pretty weak stuff so I assume it´s OK. Also, how long after eliminating sals before she can start the guaifenesin? Are we talking days, weeks? "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Fibro" fails to mention this. Once again, thanks for all your patience with our newbie questions!