Salicylates

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by marilynb, Mar 12, 2006.

1. marilynb

marilynb New Member

I was reading the book about the guai treatment & noticed that the list of sals has some vegetables on it. Does that really mean I can no longer eat potatoes & avacodos? How do vegetables have sals in them? I don't understand. Is it because of the insectisides used when growing them? Would organically grown things be ok? I thought I only had to worry about products for cleaning or washing with.....

Thanks,
    Marilyn
  2. bigmh

bigmh New Member

Hi Marilyn,

I and some others here are just starting the guai protocol, and I have found out that eating things with salicylates is OK, but putting them on our skin is not. I am certainly not an expert, but am learning.

If you would like to join our little group, you are welcome. We just started last week.

Blessings, Ann
  3. marilynb

marilynb New Member

Thanks for asking. My husband brought me home a hugh bottle of liquid guia, since I have trouble swallowing pills. I hope the liquid works just as well. It is just plain quia. I thought I would try 300mg am & 300mg pm & see how that works. Is there anything else I should know?
    Thanks for responding.
    Marilyn
  4. bigmh

bigmh New Member

Hi again...Like I said, I am very new to all of this. Have you read the book by Dr. St. Amand? That is the authority that I am using along with the guaidoc.com website.

I am taking 1/2 of a 600 mg tablet morning and night. I haven't taken the liquid and don't know anything about it. Mikie and others on this board are very knowledgable on guai.

For me finding the salicylate-free products has been the biggest challenge, but there are some good websites and the lists on guaidoc.com have helped a lot.

I'm feeling better yesterday afternoon and today than I have felt in quite some time! I have been on guai since the 9th, so not even a week. I'm so hopeful that it will work.

The other 2 gals that are in the group are Jana1 (I think that's her username...I know it's Jana) and Dee50. We have informally planned to chat at 3 pm mountain time (2 pm pacific time) if we are available. We would love to have you join us!

Nice to meet you...Ann
  5. marilynb

marilynb New Member

I am not very good at chat rooms, but will give it a try if I don't go to work today. I called in this am & haven't decided whether I am going in or not. Right now I am so sleepy, I think I am going to take a nap. Hope I wake up in time.

Nice to meet you too.
    Marilyn
  6. bigmh

bigmh New Member

Marilyn...the chat rooms are OK, but I like this board, too. We can communicate either way. Sleep tight...Ann
  7. Jane_Canuck

Jane_Canuck New Member

hi there

I have been following the guai posts even if I haven't had the energy to post myself.

I want ot try this as well as soon as we can afford to start buying the product. I know there is not great expense but if you can not keep it up then it is better not to start then to do it spotty.

I am reading the book sort of. I got so far and then a migraine has kept me in bed most of the week and weekend so I am not a happy puppy right now.

When I can wrap my head around it I will start the book again.

So we can not use sals that are on the skin but ingestion is ok? I will keep my eyes open for that one in the book.

I have been seeing where you all are finding sals and are amazed that you have so many. I have been looking every time I pick up a product and either I just don't have many or I am not catching the right ingrediant in the listing.

Only one I have found so far is the gold bond powder. I love using it in the summer esp when it is humid and I can not get dry after a shower. bummer.

Do a listing of what you have found in your house that is full of sal maybe it will help jog the old brain?

Glad you are feeling well ! It can only get better until you herx lol.

Sorry brain fart humour today..... brenda
  8. bigmh

bigmh New Member

Hi Brenda...so sorry that you are not feeling well. I have many days with migraines, too, so I can empathize.

Like I said, I am learning about the sals. I found a great website, http://store.yahoo.com/personalbasics/makeup.html...it is Andrea Rose Personal Basics--everything is sal-free. She was/is a patient of Dr. St. Amand (who wrote the book), and started her website to make finding sal-free products easier. I thought her prices were reasonable, and for me, I want to be sure that I am sal-free. I am learning how to read labels, but don't feel very confident yet in my ability!

After all of the personal care products are conquered, everything else is pretty easy although remembering not to use the soap in restrooms (I'm carrying my own) is a challenge. I thought it would be much harder than it is. But then everything seems harder when we don't feel good!

We would love to have you join us...keep in touch. Blessings, Ann

PS I have also subscribed to the support newsgroup on the guaidoc.com website. I receive a couple of e-mails a day discussing questions and answers from members. That has helped me learn more, too.

They also have lists on the guaidoc website of sal-free products. I have found some of them, but especially with cosmetics, they change their lines often, and often their formulas, making it difficult to depend on the lists.

9. ma2alex

ma2alex New Member

I wanted to let you know that Dr Amand has a website with LOTS of information about this. He has a message board you can join that is staffed with his personal medical staff and they will answer any questions you might have regarding the protocol or sals. Unfortunately, I don't remember the name of teh site as I have decided this is not the right treatment for me... but if you google guai treatment fibromyalgia, you should be able to find it. If you are unsuccessful, let me know and I will do some digging to see if I can find it for you.
    Dawn
  10. mom4three

mom4three New Member

Hi there, I did the guai program for several months.
    I was a part of the website or tried to be. I had a hard time at first trying to remember what was ok and what was not. I wish you all the best. If my fibro fog lifts I will try and give you all info. Please feel free to ask any questions. I do have lots of knowledge I did it for a long while.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/13/2006]
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

From Dr. St. Amand is to take a calcium tablet with a meal. It allows the phosphate debris to bind with the calcium and be excreted through the intestines instead of the kidneys. This will really speed up the process. Most of us take a calcium tablet anyway, so why not kill two birds with one stone.

Then, instead of taking magnesium with the calcium, take it before bedtime so it can heal the muscles. If taking any other meds before bedtime, such as ABX or Klonopin, don't take the magnesium too close to those meds.

Love, Mikie