Salivary gland pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Lazy_Susan, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Lazy_Susan

Lazy_Susan New Member

I've never had this before but it's been going on for at least two weeks now. Before I started having pain I found a painless lump in front of my ear. As the pain began, the lump got smaller and is now about the size of a grain of sand or just slightly bigger. I don't want to blame everything on fibro but since I'm just learning this bugger causes so many discomforts, I'm curious, does anyone else with fibro get this? Anything you could tell me about it would be appreciated as I don't see a doc til Oct 9th. Thank you.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/23/2008]
  2. PVLady

PVLady New Member

My husband has a salivary gland cyst last year. They first had to biopsy to make sure it was not cancer. Most times it is a cyst.

He had surgery and they removed the cyst. I would see a ENT (ear,nose & throat) doctor to check it out. With my husband, the lump became infected and he had to take antibiotics first.

It is nothing to mess with - you need to make sure it is not a tumor.
  3. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

for about a year when I first came down with the Epstein Barr Virus which became CFS. My doctors at that time didn't think anything of it but it helped the 5th doctor I saw Dx me with EBV.

I've read that swollen salivary glands are common with CFS in the beginning. It went away completely and never returned although I'm now bedridden again like I was that first year.

I've met a lot of others with CFS online who have this. I haven't heard of FMSers with it though.

4. kblackie55

kblackie55 New Member

i am so relieved the you get the same thing i do, it just happens out of nowhere, one minute i'm having something to eat and my face feels funny and i have a big lump by my ear and then by the next day it's really small and then it's gone the day after that. let me know what your doctor says please.

5. Lazy_Susan

Lazy_Susan New Member

Thank you for your responses. It's been over two weeks now since this started. I get this sensation you get from tart flavors out of nowhere--I'm not even eating. This is all I needed, one more symptom to add when I go to my appointment.
  6. mjwarchol

mjwarchol New Member

I would probably bet you might have a salivary stone. It's a small calcification that blocks the gland from draining. Check with your doctor. Sometimes warm water soaks (drink water and hold in your mouth a minute) will help.

Sometimes if it's infected you will need an antibiotic.

Good luck.

M J