Salmonella of Hershey chocolate products recalled because salmo

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by darude, Nov 12, 2006.

1. darude

darude New Member

Wide variety of Hershey chocolate products recalled because salmonella fears
    17:03:33 EST Nov 12, 2006
    Canadian Press
    MISSISSAUGA, Ont. (CP) - A variety of Hershey chocolate products and candies were voluntarily recalled Sunday because of fears of salmonella contamination at a Smith Falls, Ont., factory.

There have been no reported illnesses associated with the products, Hershey said in a statement.

Hershey brand chocolate bars, chocolate chips, Oh Henry! bars, Reese Peanut Butter Cups, and Cherry Blossom sweets were among the affected products.

None of the recalled products were produced for Halloween or Christmas products.

Canadian Food Inspection Agency officials said they were told by Hershey that it doesn't appear there was a widespread delivery of the affected products to stores.

"The majority of the product is still in their distribution system, in their warehouses and at their facility, there has been a limited amount of product that has been released," said Garfield Balsom, a CFIA spokesman, in an interview with CTV Newsnet.

It was not clear where in Canada the affected products may have ended up and it's not known how long that will take to find out, said Marie-Andree Lefebvre, another CFIA spokeswoman.

"You don't always have all the answers, but you need to do something," she said in a telephone interview from Ottawa.

"That's why we decided... to inform the public. Everybody eats chocolate, that's why it's a big recall."

The recall involves chocolate produced at the Smiths Falls factory between Oct. 15 and Nov. 10, Lefebvre said.

The recalled chocolate and candy can be identified by date codes found on the back of each package - the affected date codes range from 6417 to 6455.

Consumers should check codes on chocolate bars they purchase as not every product on store shelves are affected.

"For example it's not all the Oh Henry! bars that are affected by this recall," Lefebre said.

Hersheys officials did not return telephone calls Sunday.

The Hershey plant in Smiths Falls opened in June 1963 and produces 45,000 kilograms of chocolate a year.

Production was shut down last week with no word from the company on when it will resume.

Consumers who have purchased the items in question can contact Hershey at 1-800-468-1714.

The affected products are:

Chipits Milk Chocolate Chips - 270 gram

Hershey Creamy Milk Chocolate with Almonds - 43 gram

Hershey Creamy Milk Chocolate - 45 gram

Oh Henry! bar - 62.5 gram, 62.5g / 4 bars, 145 gram

Oh Henry! Bites - 130 gram

Oh Henry! Bites - 60 gram

Hershey Chipits Semi-Sweet - 350 gram

Hershey Chocolate Chips - 2 kg

Hershey Chipits Mini - 300 gram

Hershey Chocolate Chips - 10 kg, 175 gram, 500 gram

Hershey Chipits Chocolate Chip Bulk - 10 kg

Hershey Chipits Semi-Sweet Mint Chocolate Chips - 300 gram

Hershey Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips - 300 gram

Hershey's's Special Dark Chocolate - 45 gram

Hershey's Special Dark Chocolate with Almonds - 43 gram

Reese Peanut Butter Cups - 51 gram, 68 gram 51 gram / 4 bars

Lowney Cherry Blossom - 45 gram

Glosette Peanuts - 45 gram

Glosette Almond - 42 gram

Glosette Raisin - 50 gram, 145 gram

Hershey's Chocolate Shell Topping - 177 ml

Eat-More Dark Toffee Peanut Chew - 56 gram, 56 gram / 4 bars

Lowney Bridge Mix - 52 gram, 340 gram

Hershey Assorted 16 count - 728 gram

Hershey Assorted 50 count - 2.5 kg

Nut Roll - 5 kg

Hershey Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chip - 10 kg

[This Message was Edited on 11/13/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 11/13/2006]
  2. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Thanks for the information.

Hugs,

Nancy B
  3. b~kay~b

b~kay~b New Member

Thank you for the information about the recall. Of course i ate a reese cup yesterday along with my kids now i gotta look for the wrapper. This is scary. I need to let my family know.
  4. maineweezie

maineweezie New Member

Wow Kinda scary when even chocolate could be unsafe. Major problem for many of us will be trying to remeber lot numbers when the chocolate must have alarm goes off in our heads. I just know that will interfere worse that fibr fog does. Must have my chocolate! If anyone touches our last piece and I want some............dangerous!Maineweezie
  5. kjfms

kjfms Member

Thanks for the heads up. I hope you are doing well.

Take care,

Karen :)
  6. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

Bummer.. guess I'll put my 1/2 eaten chocolate bar in the trash now... darn it.
    LOL.
    Seriously thank you for the info..
    Hugs
    Kim
  7. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Bought a whole box of bars. Checked; they are not from Canada.

Guess I'll celebrate by eating 3 0r 4.
  8. Exfa

Exfa New Member

Someone just gave me a Hershey Bar.........I don't know where it came from!! Best bet is to just throw it away right?? That will be REALLY difficult to do!!!, but thanks for the info. I almost took a bite of it before I sat down at the computer..that's weird huh??