Salt sensitivity ?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by nacl4y, Jun 17, 2003.

1. nacl4y

nacl4y New Member

Hi all

I'm wondering if anyone here has a sensitivity to salt. Approximately 10 years ago I went to an allergist who tested using sublingual methods. One of my major "sensitivities" was to salt. Obviously the human body requires a certain amount of sodium. However, if I do not manage my salt intake very carefully, the end result is basically akin to being intoxicated. Slurred words, inability to think straight or see clearly, dizziness, and then a headache/hangover effect. (in other words I'm a cheap date, just hand me the salt shaker)

I've never used salt on food. So the salt I'm referring to can be as simple as the amount of sodium in a soda pop, or in a green pepper, etc.

Has anyone ever heard of this ? Experienced this ? The conundrum comes from the fact that if I am entering a "crash phase" with my CFS, and I eat a salty substance - I do an immediate downward spiral, sleep for 2 days, and then feel a bit better. A bad 2 days, but at times it will actually shorten the length of the sudden onset crash.

Just curious.

Shannon L.
  2. debbiem31

debbiem31 New Member

Hi Shannon, I don't have a sensitivity, but I thought I'd bump this up for you...

Debbie