"Salt" triggers my fibro big time

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by caroleye, Aug 31, 2010.

1. caroleye

caroleye New Member

I didn't realize what was making my body ache all over; starting removing things, and it ended up being the salt.

I had been eating a game hen that they put in a salt brine for a long time. Then last nite, forgot the reaction I was getting from it. And the achies were killers.

For me, the salt bloats me pushing on my muscles making them tight = FIBRO!!

So today, I'm crashed again. Just glad I got a good reminder.

Taken years to figure all of these triggers out; whatta life!!

2. Gingareeree

Gingareeree New Member

Me too!! Especially since I have been through menapause. The salt issue I've been dealing with is pain and puffiness around my eyes,this will sometimes lead to a migrane..ohhhh,I never has issues with headaches until a past few years. I don't even like to go out to eat,bacause of all the MSG,etc. just not worth it. I have also noticed my body pain increases as well~~~
  3. hensue

hensue New Member

I found out those horrible headaches I woke up with and puffiness was caused by HBP>

now on blood pressure med. Salt will make my body hurt extremely bad. walking on the beach in salt water is God awful I will hurt if salt gets on me.

a lot of sugar will make me hurt too! nothing like salt. If I did not take the high blood pressure pill. when I had a flare and ate salt I hurt and was swollen so bad.

4. caroleye

caroleye New Member

no wheat (gluten intolerant); no sugar; no soy; no chicken/eggs. Yep Mother Hubbard's cupboard is "bare" with only tapioca bread, coconut yogurt, some fruits & veggies; no spices.

This has been progressive for me since the 90's............soon I'll be on a liquid something.

Ahhhh so miss some of the "oldie goodies"!!

Gentle hugs..................carole

5. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

Sodium & potassium balance each other out in the body.

Potassium is very important for muscle function, and most Americans don't get anywhere near the 3,500 mg/day RDA. Sources are mainly fruits & veg. Many people eat a banana a day "for potassium," which is a good start, but not everyone is aware that an average banana contains only about 20% (450 mg) of the DV for potassium.

Mayo Clinic says both too much OR too little potassium can cause muscle pain.

Without adequate potassium, salt can make worse mischief than when potassium is adequate.

Potassium-wasting diuretics also can contribute to mineral imbalances.