salycilates

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by HiFive, Nov 15, 2002.

1. HiFive

HiFive New Member

I have read that for the Guaifenein treatment to be effective all salycilates must be omitted from use on the body. What are the salycilates?
    pam
  2. HiFive

HiFive New Member

I have read that for the Guaifenein treatment to be effective all salycilates must be omitted from use on the body. What are the salycilates?
    pam
  3. Hippo

Hippo New Member

You really need to do a lot of research before you begin this protocol. There are Guai websites with information, and the book "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Fibromyalgia." It's a lot more complicated than just eliminating aspirin. Most of your cosmetics and skin care products contain salycilates. I researched this for a month before I felt comfortable starting the protocol. I have only been on it for 2 days. And I am not even sure if I have it right yet. You also can't take herbs, you can't garden without gloves, you can't handle pinecones and wreaths without gloves during the holidays. You also have to check your deodorant, soap, toothpaste, mouthwash, and everything else. It's a lot of work to research and do it correctly. Hopefully the results will be worth it. I think Mikie is actually the expert on this, I am just learning. Good luck.

Hippo
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Is to get the book and read it through several times until you thoroughly understand the protocol. Eliminating sals and getting the dose correct are critical to the success of the treatment.

You must eliminate any medications, supplements, and personal-care items with sals, herbal extracts, and botanical extracts. You may eat food with herbs as there isn't enough concentration of sals and they are eliminated through the intestines.

It's waaaaaaay too much to go into here. Read the book and then come back with any questions. Eliminate the sals from your life before even starting the treatment. This will ensure a better experience. You absolutely must learn to read labels.

Love, Mikie
  5. HiFive

HiFive New Member

I am reading the book as we speak. I've also located a couple of internet sites that give the products with sals.WHEW!!!! Talk about an education! I'm going to try and clean up my diet as I am also hypoglycemic and start buying sal-free products. Will you tell me the soap, deordarant, shampoo etc that you have found to be sal-free. That's a good place to begin.
    My friend, who is in a major flare begins guai Monday.
    I must admit the omitting sals from one's life is not going to be an easy task.
    Pam
  6. Hippo

Hippo New Member

Hi, Pam, I know your question wasn't directed to me, but I am reading the book also. I believe that Ivory soap is safe, Head & Shoulders Shampoo, and some of the Ban deodorants. However, Mikie pointed out that you have to check the label every time you buy, because they sometimes change the formulas. A lot of the deodorants have castor oil, which is a no-no. Good luck.

Hippo
  7. HiFive

HiFive New Member

I found a site that lists all the sal-free products and sal-full products and sal-unknown products. Caress soap (original) is okay, ARRID XX Dry gel is okay. John Freida Blonde Clear hairspray and some of the Suave hairsprays are okay.
    This boggles my mind though. We (I) have been on herbs (plant derivitives) for about five years now battling FMS/CHS/Candidiasis. Now we're told that all those products are unsafe. Well maybe not unsafe but they are not what will truely help with the fibro stuff.
    pam
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Because Dr. St. A says anything which is immediately rinsed off is not as critical. I use whatever shampoo and rinse and soap I want. This might not be a good idea for someone just starting out. I can tolerate some sals and I know just about what will and will not block the Gaui.

Baby shampoos are generally sal free. The problem is always when the label lists, "fragrance" without saying whether it's natural. It's usually safe, because the companies like to tell you if it's plant based.

Most of the clear deodorants are sal free, but still, we have to read the labels. Aveeno products with the oatmeal are an exception and may be used. They make lotion, shower and bath soap gel, and a soothing bath soak. Ekards Drugs make their own cheaper version, but be careful as I once found some with Aloe Vera in it. I never buy any product unless I check the label.

I just use the Barbie or Blue Clues or Barney childrens toothpaste. We are allowed to chew cinnamon gum, but nothing with mint. Since the childens toothpastes are so sweet and don't freshen breath, I chew cinnamon gum (BTW chewing gum acts like a stimulant for the brain and helps with fog and cognitive problems - honest!).

Use "Sal Free" to search for websites which will give you lots of products. The problem is that these lists are not updated frequently and it seems that every manufacturer thinks we all want rain forest botanicals in everything. A general rule of thumb is that the cheaper the product, the less chance of botanicals because they are expensive to extract.

Going sal free seems like such a big deal when we start and soon we realize there are lots of things we can use. Good luck to you.

Love, Mikie
  9. Hippo

Hippo New Member

I was thinking the same thing about the herbs. I have been pumped full of herbs for YEARS, and it seems so ironic now.

Hippo
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

You are correct. You can eat herbs and cook with them, but you cannot take any herbal or botanical supplements. The ZMA which is sooooo helpful for sleep blocked my Guai because the magnesium is derived from veggies. I hated to give that one up. Actually, now that I've suspended the Guai for another 3 months, I could go back to using the ZMA. Love that stuff!

Love, Mikie
  11. HiFive

HiFive New Member

Is all magnesium derived from veggies?
    I have begun the Atkins way of eating. I have a question about evening primrose oil. I take it for fibrous breasts. If I don't take it I have such pain and swelling that I'm in tears. I understand that the primrose oil has salycilates. What to do? Anyone have suggestions for an alternative? I also take Dong Quai and Black Cohosh. Any alternatives if I start the guai protocol? This problem may sound trite to some or insignificant but to me it is major! The pain gets unbearable.
    pam
  12. HiFive

HiFive New Member

The reason for the Atkins way is because I have hypoglycemia. The book from Dr. St. Amand claims before beginning guai we must have the hypoglycemia under control.
    It has just recently clicked with me that hypoglycemia is or at least could be the reason for so many of my complaints, especially seizures, emotions, unbalance when walking just to name a few.
    pam
  13. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The problems with seizure activity leading to mood swings, anxiety, irritibility, sensory overload, muscle spasms, and insomnia are typically produced from overfiring of the neurons in the brain in both CFS and FMS. I take Klonopin for this and the results have been amazing.

For every herbal treatment there is usually a medication that will do the trick. I know there are a lot of people who think "nature's way" is best, but with the Guai, one has to make a choice. For any herbal treatment that one needs, contact your doc to see what alternative is available.

Many medications are simply botanicals or animal organs which pharmaceutical companies have learned to synthesize. The advantage to medications is that they have been through human trials, are consistent in dosage, and are FDA approved. No such protections exist for supplements. That is why I like using this website bacause I can rest assured that their products are of the highest quality. When you buy cheap off the shelves at chain stores, you never know for sure what you are getting.

I think using natural herbs and botanicals are wonderful and I wish I didn't have to make such difficult choices in using the Guai, but my results have been so spectacular that for me, it is worth it.

Dr. St. A is correct in stating that we must get our hypoglycemia under control. This condition alone can cause a myriad of our symptoms and by changing diet, even if one were to do nothing else, a marked improvement in symptoms would ensue. Things often get worse before getting better when a change of diet is attempted. This is when patience pays off. The whole Guai treatment is a test of one's patience, so y'all say the prayer for patience:

God, give me patience; give it to me NOW!

Love, Mikie