SAM-e question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by simonedb, May 4, 2010.

1. simonedb

simonedb Member

on a whim I decided to try SAM-e again the other day, there was a sale or something. I broke about 1/10 of a tab and took it and felt sedated later than now for 2 days after feel like crap, herxy and slight headache, think its related. I forgot how it used to affect me years ago but I seem to just more sensitive w/age.
    Anyone know if its known to cause possible herx or detox? Isn't it related into methylation? N-acetyl cysteine hosed me w/awful headaches a couple years ago when tried it. I will look up the meth protocol for glut again.
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

anyone can be sensitive to anything no matter what 'it' is.... have never heard of it detoxing or causinga herx, it is supposed to boost the immune system.

When I took it to stop monthly "flu" (likely lyme as that's what happened to my son later) i felt a boost of energy. Son still takes it, always has since beginning treatment for Lyme, babs, & bartonella but it always helped. BUT again everyone's different.

Good thing you didn't take a whole pill. Come to think of it, was it individuallly wrapped pills in a blister pack? I've found that if they're in a bottle without that extra protection from oxidation, they're no good.

3. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, simone.

If a person has a partial methylation cycle block, as is common in CFS according to the testing that has been done, the extra SAMe will likely increase the flow down the transsulfuration pathway in the liver, which will likely stimulate the detox system, mobilizing some toxins. In the pineal gland, the extra SAMe may have converted serotonin to melatonin, producing sedation.

Given that you have these types of reactions to SAME and NAC, I think it's very likely that you have a partial methylation cycle block and glutathione depletion. A Vitamin Diagnostics methylation pathways panel would tell you for sure, and a relatively inexpensive nonprescription treatment is available for this. More details are available at www dot cfsresearch dot org.

Best regards,

4. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

I use SamE primarily for arthritis pain, but had serious sedation issues (unsafe to drive) until I discovered that adding a small amt of folinic acid (200 mcg.) eliminated that problem for me.

Note, this is the active, 5-MTHF form of folate, not just regular folic acid (which I had been getting in my multi & which wasn't doing much for me.). I use only 200 mcg per day along with the SamE.

I guess you could say that the fact that this combo works suggests that I do have some sort of methylation cycle block. I do not take the extra B12 recommended in the Simplified Protocol due to a bad experience, but you may benefit from that as well, many people do -- but I suggest adding one at a time to your regimen.

The testing would be a nice verification, if you're financially able.

Best wishes.
  5. simonedb

simonedb Member

thanks you guys for the ideas.
    Rich I was researching again earlier today about your protocol because I figured it all tied in, am considering playing with it again, in baby doses.
    Snooz, I havent done well with the b vits myself, even the purest hydroxy b12 can bother me but maybe i will try crumbs of the folate you mention, I might even have some from a year or 2 ago, I had gotten some of the methylation supps.
    I research stuff and then forget it..........have to reinvent the wheel all the time.