SAM-E What are your experiences?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by twerp, Dec 5, 2006.

1. twerp

twerp New Member

Hi Everyone, I've been thinking of trying SAM-E. Was wondering who else has tried it, and what their experiences were.

Did it help? Any side effects?

Did you buy any specific type/brand?

Thanks & Hugs,
    Twerp
    [This Message was Edited on 12/05/2006]
  2. Catseye

Catseye Member

This is the first thing I take in the morning on an empty stomach. I take 200 mg of NSI brand. It's very good for the liver which is my main problem. It's made in the liver and needed throughout the body. I don't think my liver is doing everything it should, I take alot of things that the body is supposed to make itself. I don't think I would be doing so well without it.

karen
  3. twerp

twerp New Member

That's very encouraging information. I've tried so many supplements that seemed to have little or no effect.

Can't stop trying to find the one that will, though!

Hugs,
    Twerp
  4. Catseye

Catseye Member

I had tried dozens of supplements and only a couple were real "miracles", like NAC and acetyl l carnitine. But I didn't continue on with something unless I got really good results. Now, out of all the stuff I'm taking, half of it I've tried before and gave up. With everything together, they are "miracles". So if something doesn't make you feel bad, and you know what it's for and it makes sense that you should take it, keep taking it and add new stuff every few days or couple of weeks. Because the combination of all the good stuff is really working!

Some of the stuff I'm taking now I hadn't used for months. I could have saved myself alot of torture if I had just continued on instead of saying "oh well, this isn't working that great or isn't doing anything at all, I think I'll quit it". Like nadh. I had used it before and noticed absolutely nothing but it is part of the mitochondrial fuel and is really doing it for me now, with everything else.

good luck!
    karen
  5. twerp

twerp New Member

You've given me some good food for thought. Never thought about not taking the right combination of supplements.

I have tried NADH in the past, but, like you, noticed no difference whatsoever. Might have to look into that again, in conjunction with the SAM-E.

Wouldn't it be great if we could come up with a combination that worked for everybody? Dream on, I guess...

Anyway, thanks again!

Twerp
  6. Catseye

Catseye Member

To give you an idea of what I take look at my "what worked for me". I just started it and I'm not finished but I'm taking about 30 different supplements at the same time. Since I eat several small meals a day, with all the digestive enzymes I take, I'm sucking down about 50 pills a day! And it's working!

They're all supplements that I could get from food so they're not overburdening my body like, let's say, 30 different drugs would. Don't freak out about taking a bunch of pills. If you need them and you know what they're doing, the number isn't important. My parents hit the roof when I told them but now they see they're working and boy, are they mega-confused about what to believe with regards to what is healthy nowadays.

karen
  7. twerp

twerp New Member

I guess what it comes down to is do your research, try anything you think might help and stick with it long enough to give it a chance.

I think maybe I give up on things too soon. If I don't see some results in a week or so, I figure nothing good is going on. Got to work on that.

Thanks again and lots of hugs,
    Twerp
  8. Catseye

Catseye Member

I think we're all deficient in a bunch of chemicals in our bodies. We got damaged for whatever reason (infections, injuries, malnutrition) and now we're not able to make or balance the 100,000 or so proteins and enzymes that are floating around. So when you fix just one or two deficiencies, it may not be enough to really notice. But when you keep on replenishing what your missing, eventually you start to get big results. I gave up too soon, too, on alot of things. But keep on, it's all a matter of giving your body what it needs until it gets well enough to produce it on its own again.

karen
  9. twerp

twerp New Member

Thanks very much for your input. I appreciate your insights. Hadn't heard anything negative about SAM-e.

Thanks again,
    Twerp
  10. Catseye

Catseye Member

Mike, I probably should mention I have liver disease. You're right, if your liver is working properly, then you should be making your own sam e okay from the things you mentioned. But I think if alot of cfs patients have the "protein synthesis" problem from RNase-L, then we're not making everything like we should. I get definite effects from Sam e. I can tell when I haven't taken it. I also take methionine and lots of amino acids. In fact, aminos were the first things I took that helped me years ago. So all the stuff our bodies are supposed to make we can't really count on being made, at least not until we get better. I think it's reversible for most of us.

BTW, thanks for the tip on phenylalanine for depression! I was going to thank you in the other post but since you're right here... My husband has been depressed for years and I had some and just gave him 500 mg. I'm eagerly awaiting the effects!

have a great xmas!

karen
  11. Daisys

Daisys Member

I started taking Sam-e for joint pain, which it did take care of nicely. Then I noticed it helped with my mood. I've been taking it for years and definitely notice a difference within a few days of not taking it.

I remember a Newsweek article that said Sam-e works as well as ADs but without side effects.

I've always gotten Nature Made because that's what Costco carries.