SAMe for Fibro Pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by msSusan, Oct 27, 2005.

1. msSusan

msSusan Member

Was wondering if anyone has questioned health care provider whether or not sam-e can be taken with some food to alleviate stomach issues and not lose properties of supplement. In past I have tried 400 mg on empty stomach and was unable to continue because of stomach issues. Only was able to take for 2 weeks so didn't notice any change in pain or mood.
  2. fifthofanickel

fifthofanickel New Member

I had taken it several months ago, & wish I wouldn't have. The label says may cause GI problems. It did w/me, big time. I had such horrible abdomial pain after taking it for about 2mos. I believe. I tho't I would have to go to the ER. But I writhed in pain for most of the nite, it lessened by morning. But I was in the recliner for 3 days or more. About a month later, I had another episode, tho' not as bad, but it was very painful, nothing moved in the GI tract for about 4days.

I have IBS & Gerd, & I strongly recommend anyone w/gut problems NOT take this supplement. I would hate to have you go thru the same thing I did. I was taking it for joint strengthening. I don't think your stomach issues will lessen w/food. It probably is a reaction to the Sam-e...Please be careful & stop taking it if your symptom persists. And/or see you MD if it continues.

Take care of yourself;
    fifth
  3. abbylee

abbylee New Member

In fact, I turned into a witch with a "b." I wonder, though, if it's because I take Methadone. I can't combine Methadone and Sonata for the same reason. Weird...

abbylee
  4. millennia

millennia New Member

This is another example of how things that work for one person, might not for another. I take 800 mg on an empty stomach every morning and have no tummy problems. It helps with my pain more than anything else I've ever taken. I can barely walk on days I don't take it.